Me to husband: Do you think the term "supermom" comes from Superman?
Husband: Huh?
Me: You know, all that flying here, flying there, that moms have to do? Get it? It's not like moms have super power, or anything.
Husband: No, I don't think so.
Gwa gwa gwa... there goes another of my "ha ha ha" jokes that my beloved did not
And in case you haven't heard, I read somewhere not too long ago, that "supermom" is obselete. In this new millennium, and I've seen elsewhere, that there are new-fangled terms like "master mom", that especially would apply to mothers with three or more children. Whom, by the way, I do take my hats off to, because my two boys already keep me busy enough.
So anyway, with all due respect to supermoms and master moms, but neither kind I aspire to be, now, 1.5 months after Ben started going to preschool, on those three mornings a week that he has school, I'm appreciating how much flying here and there moms do, a lot more than when I had more hours in between the time of dropping off Jon and Vern before having to go pick them up in the afternoon.
Now, on those three mornings, I'm barely done with doing this or that, and it's time to get going to fetch Ben! And then, less than another 3 hours later, I have to get him and me out of the house again, to go fetch Jon! So disruptive, and something I know many of you moms or dads who drive your kids who have different school schedules, can certainly identify with!
The good husband, to his credit, has been very kind, and nine out of 10 times, will end his day at the same time as Jon, even though it's always harder for him to try and work from home with the boys playing or fighting in the background. But that way, he knows that the boys and I don't have to make yet another trip out to go and get him home, and if he's not too exhausted himself, he has the option of driving back to campus and hopefully get some more work done.
So then, I've more or less concluded, I should stop trying to (hope to) make productive use of the two odd hours I have on those three days that Ben is in school. It's almost wishful thinking on my part, that I actually thought I could pack in a week's worth of chores and grocery shopping in those mornings. Because, I haven't.
And really, some good can come out of having Ben still go with me to the supermarket, or following me around with the Swiffer (a dry or wet mop using disposable cloths) when I'm cleaning the house. And when I wait for him to do the library together, he likes to pick out his own books, that usually sets the theme for us for the week, to do a little something with him outside of all the play, play, and play going on in school.
As you can tell, I'm a bit of a rebel this week. I said, "a bit", so don't worry. Everyone still has clean clothes to wear, and food to eat.
I have photos to upload and post here, but I'd rather be prattling away (because it takes less than half the time)! I'm reading blogs whenever I can, but not leaving comments.
But I'm here, and will be back later when I can find another pocket of time, to tell you what else I've been doing... or not!
Have a good day now! I'm off... to the kitchen! And then... to school! Yes, all over again!

3 comments:
Yes, I usually use the time when my little one is in school to do all my flying around. MArketing, supermarketing, dry cleaners, and of course, blogging. It all works out, coz as soon as little D gets home, I know I have no more time for myself, coz before I know it its time to pick the other 2,..then life becomes a big chaos! But everything has worked out fine and fallen into place. even with all that flying about, I still have time to blog, visit and comment. :)
I take my hats off you. With all the activities, you still find the time to update your blog so regularly. I'm so guilty of not being able to multi task....look how tardy I've become with my blog since I started work. :(
SAHM,
That's wonderful how you have fitted in everything so nicely. I think I need to stay more focused and not squeeze in more than what I can do.
Bkworm,
No, no, don't say that please. I will visit your blog, and blog whenever you feel like it.
You can see I'm blogging because I need to air my frustrations. Also because it's easy to just yak, yak, yak away, to those of you who're listening! Hehe!
Oh, and pictures, of course... and I have some more to share!
Post a Comment