
I kept it simple, this first time roasting the whole turkey, no stuffing or dressing -- just the way we like it.
Jon and Ben were eager, alright, to help with the seasoning. Think along the lines of "how come he got to rub in more salt than I got to grind the pepper?"...
I just had to let them rub in some paprika and herbs, too!
Our simple turkey turned out quite well. We gobbled it up, all by the next day's lunch.

The other tricky part was having to steer a curious and just as helpful Kait away from the oven, every time I had to open and close it for the basting.

And because I reversed the original plan to "foil first, baste later", our 10lb bird took longer to cook. Closer to 4h, rather than three, and that's not counting more minutes to let it rest.
The boys were really excited the turkey was finally done. They jumped at being the first to plate and eat the first cut... while their daddy was still carving it! Ben was in a jolly mood for pictures, but erm less so Jon at first.


I made a basic mashed potato (with milk, butter, and a little salt -- always works for us) to go along, and swopped out green beans with broccoli.
So went our Thanksgiving meal. Though simpler than the traditional feast I liken to an elaborate Chinese New Year reunion dinner, it was especially meaningful as the children had a hand in preparing it. Praise God from whom all blessings flow. It was like a celebration, too, with Vern and our brood on that eve of my birthday.
Now ask the kiddos what they enjoyed most about the meal, and hopefully they don't vote instead for the pumpkin pie... thank you, Sara Lee :)... or the fruit popsicle!


My basket overflows, and I do mean it in the thanksgiving sense. OK, besides that there is a new laundry load waiting for me as I write this. No, not moping and I have the floor to go mop, among other everyday stuff, and also our Christmas prep, yes. So, till the next post, we're trying to stay warm here 'coz the very cold is getting even colder... brrrrrrr!!!

6 comments:
Happy belated birthday my dear BP. Big hugs...
Praise God from whom all blessings flow.. my soul sings these days while the flesh aches. While baskets of mess overflow, I'm reminded that my basket overflows too. Hahah! These days really feel a lot like Thanksgiving, and giving thanks, for having no turkey here, for all that cooking sounds too demanding to me now! =P
Your kids always make up a great shot, hard to imagine that they'll fight over salt & pepper or being too helpful. =PP
thanks Stardust. the sweet moments are those i always try and capture becoz they are so precious. the crazy moments, believe me, do drive me up the wall and leave me exasperated!
My "ambition" is as big as yours this Christmas. I intend to bake a turkey. But first, I gotta buy a turkey, which I hope to do tomorrow. :)
I am studying a recipe right now, complete with techniques. Yes, I believe, to get a recipe right, the technique matters. The right technique will also ensure the perfect dish! I am such a perfectionist in the kitchen, that I have to study a recipe in advance, way in advance, before attempting it.
I was looking at the picture of your clan having their ice lollies, and thinking, how much the boys' life has altered with the presence of their lil' sister. it now looks so much merrier!! :)
Jo, thanks, and more erm daily adventures, u know what i mean! r u using a less conventional technique? happy cooking and feasting, i'm sure your turkey will be scrumptious and your spread a sumptuous one!:)
1stly, a very Happy Belated Birthday to u! Good health n happiness always.
Ur "simple" meal is not simple at all! ;) And it's so nice to read abt the kids' (all THREE of them) enthusiasm n excitement in the preparation process.
Thanks, Slavemom, and belated b'day wishes to you also, i caught yours on my reader but don't think i got to post a comment earlier. *hugs*
Post a Comment