Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Kids can bake: Twist on apple turnover

From this... to that...
Feb 08 iii 112 Feb 08 iii 123

Probably it doesn't get any easier. Not the true-blue kind of recipe, but maybe this shortcut will work for you, as it did for us, that lazy Saturday afternoon when no one was keen on doing what he was supposed to do... but didn't mind a little warm snack!

So there was Ben. Ben who thinks Valentine's Day is for girls, because "I hate pink, pink is a girl colour", and yet in the same breath, asks me, "What does 'hate' mean?".
Feb 08 iii 097 So I plod on alone, working on these "valentine's" that need his "signature". To each card, I also tag a little candy treat -- a gummy in the shape of a heart or rose, that Ben isn't crazy about what design it comes in, except to wait to eat any extras! But we'll have to wait till Jon gets round to doing his lot for his classmates first.

And then, there was Jon, of course. Except you don't see him in this photo, because for the umpteenth time, he's walked away from the timeline he's taking an awfully long time to do, for his book report!
Feb 08 iii 118 Well over an hour has elapsed since his last completed box, and he did not just start working on the timeline (broken up into six very doable parts), just that day! The amount of time he takes to settle back down from whatever is taking his attention away, makes me the more relieved one, that the due date for the book report -- not just for this written/illustrated timeline, but also the oral presentation itself -- has been extended to this week!

What should I do?

Thinking of giving Jon one less reason to be distracted, I went to the kitchen and looked for something Ben and I could do together. And here's what I came back with...

Some refrigerated biscuits that I always have handy, and a can of prepared apple filling -- saved for an occasion just like this!
Feb 08 iii 100 Feb 08 iii 111

Only, Jon wants in on the baking, too (beats doing a book report anytime, right)! So, why not? Let's take a break! (But if only you know how many breaks I've already given him!).
Feb 08 iii 103 Feb 08 iii 102

And this is the simple method that works for us...

To the biscuit dough, simply press down with palms or I let the boys use a spatula at first, to flatten it. Till it's like a "prata" or "wonton wrap", with enough surface area to put the apple filling in...
Feb 08 iii 114 Feb 08 iii 113

In-between fighting over who thinks who has more dough to have fun with ("not fair!" to this, and that), the boys eventually help put together some "bao's" here (those shaped like buns), and some "currypuffs" there, all filled with the same apple goodness, as much as we can pack in...
Feb 08 iii 115 Feb 08 iii 117

Hot off the oven, here's what our afternoon apple snack looks like...
Feb 08 iii 120 Feb 08 iii 122

The boys enjoying the fruit of their labour. Ben will always eat the biscuit, not Jon (and especially not the burnt bottom, that some of us may like it for!). And Jon will eat only the apple, not Ben, who also doesn't like applesauce!
Feb 08 iii 131 Feb 08 iii 128

Just a couple more ideas, if you're going to give this semi-homemade snack a try, or feel free to add your suggestions:

  • The prepared apple filling saved us all the peeling, coring, and slicing work. I did dice the pre-sliced apples up a bit more, into bitesize -- or kids can use a butterknife to do that, with a bit of supervision. And depending on how you like your apples, you can add cinnamon or sugar to it, the way you will, if you make the filling from scratch, using fresh apples.
  • In this version, we used the buttermilk biscuits. But if you like your biscuits more like the real apple turnover, there's the flaky variety of refrigerated biscuit, or pastry (also from the refrigerated section, to save the work of making it from scratch), that you can get. The reason I usually buy the buttermilk variety over the flaky kind, is simply because there's less of a mess to clean up. To borrow what the teachers in Ben's class say at lunchtime when you can already predict how much cleaning up there is to do (based on what the kids are having), "I cringe less!" (versus when there are flaky crumbs broken up into teeny tiny bits strewn all over the floor, rug... everywhere)! But I do indulge the boys now and then! ;p

After the apple snack, Jon goes back to work on his book report (although he still leaves the last parts to work on the next day, and the day after that!), while Ben and I finish up on his valentine's, with heart-shape stickers on the bag we put a simple "Joy" label on, a by-product of love (because Ben thinks love is too mushy)!
Feb 08 iii 126 Feb 08 iii 099

Later that day, the boys got a bit more downtime out of some handmade crafts (below). And while storebought toys and games are great, and no doubt they work for us, I'm rather tired of hearing the "I want's" (this and that), when the existing toys aren't really played, not even close to "enough", if you know what I mean.

So, some good old ways to get the creative juices flowing, is great, and I encourage that a lot!
Feb 08 iv 004 Feb 08 iv 003 Feb 08 iv 002

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aiyo dun hop here and there sum more lar after u tired, tankiu for the apple biskit, so yum meh.......
Happy V day to you and your famili and i am so glad u mai fren.

stay-at-home mum said...

Lucky classmates - they all get valentine gifts as well!!
I usually make my apple turnovers with flaky pastry - but store bought ones!! Your boys were definitely having fun.

Happy Valentines to you and yours!

Bkworm said...

Thanks for sharing the apple turnover recipe. Hmm.. time to get that oven heated up again. It's been some time since I baked something. Happy Valentine's to you and your family! :D

Yan said...

That's really not very easy. Whenever I want to bake chicken pie, I would think twice - all the mess with the making of the pastry! I salute you!

Who clean up all the mess? :)

Log on to my blog, you may like to engage the children in this craft!
OK, they call it hard-selling. I am doing my job :)

NomadicMom said...

Tell me about it. The I WANTS just drive me nuts...especially they have a tonne of them at home that they NEVER play with!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi BP,
Happy Valentine's Day to you and your family!!
Just think, this time next year, there'll be one more in the family to celebrate with .... CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm probably one of the last ones to wish you, but I am sooooooo happy for you!!!
The apple turnovers look great, even though I'm not much of an apple pastry fan. Yes, refrigerator biscuits are so versatile and fun, aren't they. I should remember to always get them while grocery shopping!
Love the castle the boys built. I'm always inspired to do crafty things with my boys after reading about Jon & Ben's crafty adventures. Ah .... if I can only find time!!!
Thanks for your email. I just read it as it went into our "junk" file. Will wrtie back soon.
-fay

bp said...

Happy Valentine's to all of you!

Kopi Soh - You're most welcome! =)

SAHM - Now that makes me want to go get the flaky kind, the next time we do this! Have you tried kaya turnover? How I miss kaya, and I haven't even seen pandan leaves here to try and make our own!

Bkworm,
Maybe you can try shortcuts like this one, using readymade ingredients, they are real time-savers!

Yan,
Haha! That's why I used the readymade kind, and can just imagine how much more there is to clean up if we were to try and make the pastry from scratch!

Thanks for always referring me to related links! That's thoughtful of you!

Nomadic Mom,
I tell my boys, they better touch the toys, if not we will have to give them away. Helps sometimes... but doesn't stop the "gimmes" =(.

Fay,
Thanks! I hope you are all better by now, and your little boy, too! No worries about getting back to me immediately, I know you have a packed schedule! Have a good weekend now!

Yan said...

We don't have ready-made pastries here! Even for pizza, we have to make our own base, from mixing, kneading..

Should see if I could buy some from Singapore in my next trip - hey, next month, after the election!

bp said...

Yan,
It must be very yummy when you make everything from scratch, and indeed a labour of love whenever you do it! =)