Saturday, February 23, 2008

Ice, sleet, and snow!

"A WINTRY MESS" read yesterday's headlines. And one look at the front page shot of quite the convoy of snowplows working hard to shove aside the slush -- seven in all, hot on the heels of each other on one highway -- and you get the picture, of how not so fun a winter storm can be!

The wallop of ice and sleet started before dawn, Thursday, and surprised schools expecting to deal with it later in the day. And many, like the school our boys go to, announced closings first thing in the morning, if not, early dismissals, and then again the next day, when a second wave hit yesterday.

And while the steady fall of slippery sleet was enough to ground flights, not just imperil driving (and thankfully, road situations improved yesterday), staying home all day also saw Jon and Ben at each other's throats a lot! So much so, their daddy, besides me, had to tell them, enough was enough, no more driving us parents up the wall! Yes, it was that bad, I wished I knew just how to channel their energies to more creative use. But all the talk about driving did drive me to sit them down to a little project that had been on my mind.

Feb 08 vi 095 Feb 08 vi 099

Not so fortunately, not that I didn't know how short both their attention span was, the boys' enthusiasm was short-lived. And what could have been easily done, turned out to be nearer to "Mission Impossible", and just another of this mommy's "crazy" ideas! Every time the boys walked away, I thought to myself, maybe I should have just sat down here instead, to do my own online version in the first place!

So here goes the story behind this story, of that belated post -- one of those things I've been meaning to do, to help me make sense of the pictures when I look back next time!

That Martin Luther King weekend last month...
Jan 08 v 007c Jan 08 v 018


It was not freezing rain nor sleet, but a snowstorm we arrived to in DC, for a long weekend over the Martin Luther King holiday, at the same time Vern was having a conference there.

Whether it's ice, sleet, or snow, if you ask me, winter isn't the best time to travel. So then, you could say making this trip was rather radicial by my standards. If not now, though, it would be awhile more before we could all be able to set foot on those same steps where the famous civil rights leader had delivered his "I have a dream" speech!

At the Lincoln Memorial overlooking the Washington monument...
Jan 08 v 286 Jan 08 v 262

But before I get round to sharing a bit more on the "patriotic" sights in the country's capital, (and looks like it'll have to take another post, another day for that), here are some highlights of what there is to do indoors. My only "research" was based on Fodor's and Frommer's travel guides I went and borrowed from the library the day before we left, and a friend's top picks that went beyond what we managed. But if like us, you aren't looking to do too much, or have kids in tow, these may be the kind of places that'll work for you, too! =)

Must see: Air and Space Museum
Jan 08 v 088 Jan 08 v 090

Our boys got off to a flying start here, where you can find some amazing treasures of air and space -- from the earliest days of balloon flight, to the current explorations of space.
Jan 08 v 033 Jan 08 v 072

And that's the Spirit of St Louis, not the replica, and of course it caught our attention -- that first custom-built plane to make a solo, non-stop trans-Atlantic flight.
Jan 08 v 062 Jan 08 v 026

There are hands-on activities also, to interest children in the physics of flight. Think of that section of the museum as a mini Science Centre!
Jan 08 v 079 Jan 08 v 082

Most crowded: Natural History Museum
Jan 08 v 379 Jan 08 v 381

Also one unforgettable moment for Jon, as he came up close with a madagascar cockraoch! Ben went for the dinosaurs instead, always a favourite with him, and he was just thrilled when I told him he could go ahead, "Please touch" that Triceratops! It's his most favourite dinosaur!
Jan 08 v 352 Jan 08 v 351

Pity The Mammal working on the fossils was off-duty though...
Jan 08 v 354

But with so many wonders of the natural world on display -- over 100 million specimens, there are lots to see, although, no, we didn't try to do everything! I do like how the exhibits are arranged, the sections flow rather seamlessly from one to another!
Jan 08 v 361 Jan 08 v 363

Must try food @: American Indian Museum
Jan 08 v 428 Jan 08 v 429

With the American History Museum closed for the time being, this was our next best choice! Jon had buffalo burger for the first time, and gave it a thumbs up!
Jan 08 v 430 Jan 08 v 431

Ben found good old chicken just as finger-licking, lip-smacking, good. Vern liked the tamale (chicken and masa/corn in a corn shuck) a bit more than I did. These, among other native-inspired meals and snacks that the museum food court offers!
Jan 08 v 435

Food aside, there are diverse collections of American Indian art and culture objects, as well as interactive displays showcasing the lives of Natives told from their own perspective.
Jan 08 v 449 Jan 08 v 461

My favourite spot is the Lelawi Theater (not shown), with its tiered bench seating around a canvas of sorts, with a woven blanket hung over it, that served as the screen. The images in the film also got projected on a rock below it, not just the domed ceiling overhead. Making it seem like an omnimax, except this was a much smaller, cozier setting.

You can tell, too, that careful thought has been given to the architecture of the building, that's more than the usual brick and mortar.
Jan 08 v 422

Has travel guru Frommer's (and also my!) stamp of approval: Postal Museum
Jan 08 v 137 Jan 08 v 139

Here's where I took the boys on the day we were on our own. Not top of most tourists' list, however, I picked this place partly because it was recommended by travel guru Frommer, and partly because it was right next to the Union Station! Most of the other places required a lot more walking from the subway station.

This is the place to learn about postal history, and even what role Benjamin Franklin played. And that's Ben, and his namesake, with Jon giving him a hand (a lift!) for a closer look!
Jan 08 v 116 Jan 08 v 119

The displays of different modes of transportation, and a chance to climb aboard a full-size, big-rig truck, show how moving mail from one place to another, has come a long way.
Jan 08 v 126 Jan 08 v 131
Jan 08 v 146

The interactive displays were pretty cool, too, and the Postal Inspector section ones had Jon and Ben trying to crack some cases!
Jan 08 v 123 Jan 08 v 122

Make a stop also @: Union Station
Jan 08 v 107

It was here that my lovable sons stopped and made monkey faces at me! And in the struggle to see who should have the camera, it fell to the ground! A kind passerby, who saw my hands full, volunteered to take our picture for us instead!
Jan 08 v 103 Jan 08 v 108

True, I was less up to it, and not as adventurous to hop on and off the subway and buses as much as I did on my own with the boys, in New York over a year ago now -- that one and other time we followed Vern for an out-of-town engagement. But breaking up the day to do a bit at a time, helped. It worked, not to try and pack in too much. I couldn't because of the queasiness, anyway. But this was how it went pretty much for our trip, and the smiles in these pictures remind me of so much there is to be thankful for!

When I can, I'll like to finish the rest of this account with the part about the memorials and monuments. You bet I saved those to do with Vern, so he could be the one to carry Ben when our little boy's feet tired of doing all the walking! Hey, with all those "excess" baggage (additional layers that makes travelling in winter more cumbersome), he does weigh quite a lot, you know! ;p

11 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

Brings back memories of DC. I went during a easter long weekend, and the cherry blossoms around the potomac was a sight to behold! Did you go to the smithsonian? Did you see the Hope diamond?? That I will remember forever, that one diamond can bring so much misfortune. Teaches us to be thankful for what we have, never mind how puny it is!!

Yan said...

Reminds me of the World Expo that I went to in Canada 22 years ago with hubby - on honeymoon straight from the peak of Mt Kinabalu!

How would I have accounted for that tour of Expo if there was this thingy called blogging, then?

Hey, I really do wonder today.

Then of course the science centre in Singapore is not comparable!

Still memories are made of moments with loved ones, right?

Thanks for sharing, and you really show elephant memory! Congratulations! :)

Anonymous said...

Seems like you guys have encountered a few snow days, sleet and icy days. We have yet to see proper snow in UK.

Photos remind me of when my kids were that age and my husband and I used to take them to places like this to entertain them with knowledge. They always had a good time but along with that, they would always end up buying somethings from these places. :D

bp said...

SAHM,
It must have been lovely that time of the year when you were there! Yes, that Hope diamond drew quite a crowd, but our boys shooed us on to see more animal exhibits instead!

Yan,
Such are the memories I want to store up, but can't always find the time. But no lah, not elephant's memory... this was last month, so I'd better still know what's what, before I forget them all ;p

Judy,
Is it usual not to have snow in UK, by now this time of the year? Winter's almost over.

Hehe, we did get little things, but tried not to have the boys linger too long in those souvenir stores, because the more they see, the more the gimmes!

Anonymous said...

BOys seem enjoy very much lol

Anonymous said...

I love Natural history museums!

Hey! I just found out you are expecting!! CONGRATS!! Another beautiful bundle of joy to love!!

You need to find out anything re confinement? I have a nice book full of confinement recipes. Let me know, ya?

*big hugs*

so excited about the pregnancy!! :D

NomadicMom said...

Your place...school close because of snow.
My place...school close because of floods.

Anonymous said...

Nice photos... looks like they had a good time.

Anonymous said...

Hi BP,
It has been a long time since I last dropped a line or two in your blog. I am down with fever and flu and am under doctor's order to sleep at home. 'Cos I did not fully recover from my flu 2 weeks ago. Ha, small ailment is a blessing. Juz saw Kat's comments on your pregnancy. Congratulations! I know it's not easy. But I believe you can do it.

Take care gal:)
Aileen

KopiSoh said...

You be x-tra careful when walking ok?? Can be veri slippery....

bp said...

Kee Yit, Tot's Mom,
Thanks, most of the time my boys are happy to go out... unless I'm dragging them with me to do grocery shopping! Hehe!

Kat,
Museums make for such great outings, don't they?! Thanks, I will email you for advice! *Hugs back*

Nomadic Mom,
Snow, and especially when it's ice can be dangerous to drive in, but still can usually drive and get around, just have to drive slowly and very carefully. But floods... traffic comes to a halt? Jia lat!

Aileen,
Thanks, I hope you are feeling better. Have a very good rest, and you take care, too! My hugs to your boys!

Kopi Soh,
Thanks, yes, especially with all the ice and snow!