Thursday, February 14, 2008

Some bunny loves you!

Feb 08 iv 087 Feb 08 iv 073
Above: Handmade cards, and heart-shaped sugar cookies for the boys and girls to decorate, are a common theme at the Valentine's Day party for both Ben's and Jon's classes. It would have been another day for Vern and me, if I hadn't signed us both up to help -- he at Jon's class today, and me at Ben's yesterday.

Don't buy me anything," I looked my husband in the eye and told him this, almost implored, yesterday, a day before Valentine's Day.

Don't succumb to the commercialization, I really meant it. Not that Vern would. But honestly, I wasn't trying reverse psychology on him, just testing out a little "theory" I'd read in a fun column in the papers. The male writer was giving out tips to guys, telling them not to believe their wives or girlfriends who say they don't want any gift.

"Don't buy me anything," I waited half an hour later, to tell that to Vern again. I thought if I extrapolated the theory a little, he might think I really wanted something (the more I say I don't want any present = the more I want it!). The article had advised guys to still go and get a gift, because chances are, the gals do have a gift to surprise them with. If not, then the guys can maybe make the gals feel "a bit guilty", and in the process, score some points for themselves! Makes sense, or just another gimmick (a sponsored column, I didn't check)?

"Erm," but came my very down-to-earth spouse's reply, that actually, I totally expected, "I didn't get you anything." And then, as if feeling a tad bad (because I'd 'asked' him twice), he said it again, "I really don't have anything for you.".

If anything, my little 'test' proved that the more I emphasized my point, the more he stood by his original belief! But that's alright, perfectly alright, because, and I think he might have been a little relieved to hear me tell this back to him, "I really don't have anything for you, either! Hahaha!".

The same article had gone on to suggest what gifts for guys not to buy for their gals. Everything from candy/chocolates -- especially if you know your female partner is on a diet (or trying to go on one), to household/cooking appliances -- because then, you are telling her to do more work!

You know, if this columnist's "wise words" were anything to go by, if I were a guy, I'd be scratching my head, too, wondering what "perfect gift" to give my gal!

When we left for school this morning, Jon had two hearts in his backpack for a mid-morning snack. Look how many more he's got by day's end! Good thing there's more (mushy?) "love notes" (as part of the valentine's exchanged between classmates), than there's candy for Halloween!
Feb 08 iv 089 Feb 08 iv 094

You're special every day
So, while I didn't buy my Significant Other a present, I gave him the 'gift' of spending special time with one son and that son's classmates at school! Now isn't that something wonderful in itself?

Hanging out with children, and youths, is always such a joy! Something I'm grateful for, that outside of church/Sunday School, I'm able to do in the school now and then, after Ben started preschool. Appreciating each individual, and in the process, getting to know the teachers a little better, more than I could when I was a working mom back home.

Feb 08 iv 081 Feb 08 iv 071

It's eye-opening, humbling. The teachers I admire, for their energy and passion, and smiles they wear good days or bad, that must reflect their own joy, and the joy of the children. And I've come to see, too, that a lot of times, what the teachers can really use is an extra pair of hands, a willing heart, not necessarily to do the big stuff, and it does not have to be through special events like such parties. But little things to support and relieve them, to do their jobs of being with the little ones.

And the boys and girls, even at times when they are acting up, or not playing together so nicely, being able to see how trusting and forgiving they always are, little ones are a constant reminder of how our Father God wants us to approach Him. Like little children, and we are His children -- special, loved, one-of-a-kind in His eyes, that couldn't have been lovelier for me to rediscover, in a story read to the tykes at the party.

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us,
that we should be called children of God
- 1 John 3:1

Besides the 'mandatory' exchange of valentine's (well-wishes on cards), Ben and his friends also had a fun time shooting "nerf rockets" through a hula-hoop. And I especially like the "Some bunny loves you" card they made, that probably means more to us parents, than to them. But such thoughtful gestures, as does those three magic words, do count from the ones we love, and from us to them, whether it's Valentine's Day or not.

In lieu of roses, or chocolate, how about a bunch of thanks for some "bunny", or buddy, to tell him or her how special he or she is? And before the day's up, (and I'm still not too late, going by our 'slower' time here, hehe!), here's wishing all of you reading this, Happy Valentine's! You're special, one in a million! =)

Sweet temptations! Decorating the cookies, Ben couldn't resist sneaking in some sprinkles (and he wasn't the only child who did that!), and afterwards, licking up all the frosting, too!
Feb 08 iv 072 Feb 08 iv 084

10 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

hey bp
it just means that you and vern are so comfortable with each other that you know that if you dont get each other anything, it's all right.He probably knew you wouldnt hold it to heart if he did not get you anything. Thats the level all marriages should aim for! H

bp said...

SAHM,
Thanks, tho' sometimes a bit too comfy! But you're right, it doesn't have to take a special day just to tell the ones we love how special they are.

Jo said...

hahaha... your reverse psychology did not work ah?? LOL!!

I felt bad for not getting him something when he came home with a bouquet for me. The me that I am usually would. But I know he is just not into celebrating VDay so I did not. Imagine my surprise with his surprise present! :)

Now, I am totally confused. Next Valentine's, I would not know if I should or should not get him something.

But I think it is a good "habit" to start celebrating VDay in our own special way. Perhaps not to go for the overpriced flowers and dining out. More of Handmade cards like the ones kids are being taught to make at school or a special homecooked meal. Don't you think so?

Yan said...

Valentine, children - you have put it so nicely together. I could never have connected Valentine's Day with spending time with the children!

But isn't it not through the extraordinary gift of children that He opened for us an insight into the profound truth as what you said - blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God?

What a stunning spiritual verity!

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi hi BP!!

Sin nian kwai le!
Wan sher rue yee!
Shen ti jian kang!

(excuse my wrong pinyin.. have forgotten a lot!!) :D

No gift from hubs for me too. Only from my girlfriends at our Valentine/CNY gathering last night!

And a lovely card from my little girl (after going round the entire place following her clues.. :D )

But my son did get Valentine candy from 2 of his girl classmates.. :D

Anonymous said...

Good morning!!! I kam bling you more food for the weekend, 1st gip you boiled eggs and toast for breakfast with hot Horlicks, then for lunch I tarpau simple fried beehoon, then tea I got some Nyonya kuih for you, ok? Reason I gip you so much food is becoz I going off camping for awhile so will not be able to kam over.....liao. :( Take care ya, dun hop too much, rest oso.

Anonymous said...

Great post. You are right, it is all too commercialised and the winner are the retailers.

Happy Valentine's Day to you too!

Anonymous said...

I think once a couple have been together a quite a number of years with kids in tow, Valentine's Day is a little different compared to those dating days. For me, Valentine's Day was special then and I did expect a gift each time but now, gift or nor gift, it doesn't seem to matter so much anymore.
Anyway, regarding those Amazon books. No, I don't read them before pasting them in my posts but I just extract out those that I feel are interesting and relevant to my topic for the day.

Hazel said...

hi bp, it great we could be together with our loves one

bp said...

Jomel,
Haha, so that fun column I read had some truth in it -- because D surprised you (that's so sweet of him!), now you are the one feeling "a bit guilty"! ;p Enjoy that showering of love on each other, and yes, it can be through the little things -- your thoughtfully made sandwiches (heart-shaped?), a post-it love note... etc =)

Yan,
Thanks, I like what you said the other day, about the youthfulness/childlikeness rubbing off on us... and we feel, and look young-er! ;p

Kat,
So good to hear from you, I hopped over to leave you some comments, as not seen any updates after your New Year post.

Thanks for your well-wishes, and here's also wishing you and your family a very prosperous and blessed 2008!

Kopi Soh,
Thanks, thanks... you always know what I like! You have a relaxing getaway, and I'll check back for your updates!

Judy,
Thanks! Glad you had a wonderful Valentine's =)

Tot's mom,
*Nod, nod*, know what you mean, it's different, but still special as the years go by.

Thanks for responding to my Q... I'm impressed with how quickly you post the books, and you must be an avid reader! =)

Hazel,
Yes, very thankful.