Saturday, March 1, 2008

Wonton Fun

Feb 08 vi 015 Feb 08 vi 056

No, I'm not out to domesticate my kids, and this is only our second time making wontons. Or should I call them dumplings? Somehow, "wonton" conjures up the image of the deep-fried version that comes with wonton mee back home!

We didn't deep-fry ours, nor did we steam them like that first time as called for in the recipe from a kids' cookbook (our adapted version's included in the link). Instead, we had them in soup (chicken stock)! I'm a soup person, and see why I think dumplings may be a more appropriate term for how we cooked ours this time round?

If you like, you can add minced ginger, garlic, and scallion to the filling, or the scallion could come later in the soup itself. We didn't put any of these in ours though, simply because they are the kind of stuff our boys will pick out or have me pick out for them, before they'll tuck into their food! And I also left out the sugar, and added a bit of rice vinegar to the basic soya sauce-sesame oil seasoning for the filling, for a more savoury taste. Our filling consisted of minced meat -- I like to use pork or chicken, and shrimp. Some mushroom would have been nice, too, but one child asked me to please leave it out.

Feb 08 vi 024 Feb 08 vi 006

There are different ways to do the wrap, and what better way than to leave ours to the boys' own creativity...
Feb 08 vi 009 Feb 08 vi 012

Jon made his lot into these neat envelopes, and Ben, with a little help, pinched the sides together for a good seal (some water did the trick, too). There's at least another way -- the one given on the wonton wrap packaging, that goes like this: use a chopstick to make a slight dent in the middle of the triangle, and then flap in the two lower sides so they overlap slightly. But it can be a little tricky, especially if you've packed your wonton quite full, as then, the filling may ooze out from the sides!

Before and after the dumplings were cooked...
Feb 08 vi 029 Feb 08 vi 042

Broccoli was what we had at hand, and ended up having our soup with. And to me, it is one vegetable versatile enough to go with most things. If you like your soup to be more "oriental-looking", you may prefer a more Asian vegetable.

So then, this was the dinner we had, on a less hurried evening with no school the next day, and when homework didn't "get in the way" of dinner preparation, or me roping in the boys to help out in the kitchen! Um, actually, it was the dining table we used, for how much more workspace it offered!

Feb 08 vi 046 Feb 08 vi 038

Not surprisingly, the dumplings tasted extra yummy -- like little pockets of fun they turned out to be, with Jon giving them two thumbs-up, and Ben, (not the only one) asking for seconds!

Feb 08 vi 051 Feb 08 vi 058

Maybe we'll put just shrimp (with or without mushrooms) for the filling the next time... my favourite's always "har kau", but that's another dumpling, for another day! =)

8 comments:

Priscilla said...

Yummmm, youe earlier post of the drumstick already looked mighthy delicious, the wonton soup looks yummy too!

stay-at-home mum said...

Your boys are such good helpers!

Any idea where to find Kopi soh Firehorse??

Yan said...

The boys are really creative. Of course, credits go to mum for allowing them to do their own ways. You know what, I like your boys' "trademark smiles" which are so big and sunny!

Sometimes, as life gets busy, I even try to catch their big smiles in my imagination!

Thanks, bp, for sharing!

James TC Wong said...

Interesting...wantons with broccoli!

Jo said...

very yummy!! I am drooling now even though I already had wonton mee for lunch today. It seems, it does not matter how you fold the skin because ultimately the taste is still the same. hahah..

oh you must try to mix pork and shrimp next time. It's a lovely combo. And I think chinese lettuce will make the soup even sweeter.

Now, this is what I call comfort food! :)

bp said...

Thanks everyone for your kind words and encouragement. OK, I admit the broccoli's kinda odd, but it was the only fresh vegetable in the fridge at the point, and I hadn't gone to the Asian supermarket! ;p

SAHM,
I just left you kopitiamsoh's email address on your blog, and only after that saw Kopi Soh's latest posting. Like you, I hope she'll continue to visit us still!

NomadicMom said...

Yeah man...agree with SAHM that your boys are such good helpers.. Mine??? I dream lah...

bp said...

Nomadic Mom,
Hehe, I don't sit them down like this a lot. And try asking them to help with some chore around the house, they rather not! But stuff like this, they are a bit more inclined 'coz can enjoy the fruit/food of their labour! ;p