Sunday, March 16, 2008

It's almost spring!

Mar 08 vi 104

Less than a week, and winter ends. But outside, leaves haven't grown back on trees, and the critters seem to be in hibernation still. I see only one robin, and at any one time just one squirrel scurrying across the backyard.

Mar 08 vi 105 Mar 08 vi 106

Thankfully, the weather's let up some -- it's cold but not that cold, with temperaures slightly above freezing, for most part of the day at least!

Indoors, our only two surviving pots of primrose are faring better. And here's the first fruit of that chilli plant I grew from seeds!

The first fruit of our first chilli plant, but in the absence of bees inside the house, the husband -- who's the one with the green fingers -- becomes the "agent" to the pollinating agent, to take one flower to rub against the other!

Unconventional, but look, it works! And I'll let you know if there are more buds!

I'm trying to pack away our stuff, some at a time, admist the day-to-day activities and chores. And there were a couple things that were nice to do, that I got to squeeze in last week, in-between the usual must-do's.

Like an hour of catching up with a fellow mom, we've been trying to meet since half a year ago! Taking Ben for a developmental screening under the neighbourhood "Parents As Teachers" programme. And being with Jon throughout the full-day chess tournament yesterday, when he'd rather I be there to lend my support, not just drop him off. It worked out well, giving Ben the one-on-one time he always craves, and enjoys, with his daddy.

Mar 08 vi 107 Mar 08 vi 108

But it is a stressful period for Vern, and I try to get the boys out of his hair, and not bother him with anything if I can help it. Except to lug our heavy loads of laundry up and down the basement, and it's nice when he takes the trash outside. Anything more, and my dear husband has asked, "How did our grandmothers do it?" (I don't know, I just roll my eyes, and continue to salute all grandmothers! ;p And I appreciate and mustn't take for granted, what a great help Vern is with our boys).

Then, when the sun came out, just before the showers hit by week's end, I jumped at the perfect excuse to drop my chores for a bit. Made a detour on the way home, after going with Ben to pick Jon up from school. Where did we go?

To the library, because it has a playground just next to it! That way, the boys could get some playtime before and after Jon got his homework done. And while Jon did his worksheets and reading, I entertained Ben with more books on those creatures that once roamed the earth, that our little dinosaur aficionado picked out himself.

So there we were, at the playground, two days in a row...

Jon and Ben sit on the swings. One of the days, they are munching these microwaved popcorn, that are a cinch to prepare for a light snack.

And then I give them each, "One Super Deluxe (swing) coming up!"

"It feels like flying," exclaims Jon, "except we are upside down!"

And Ben goes, "Higher, higher!".

We hang our heads back, and stare at the lovely blue sky! And take in that warm sunshine!


Ahhh... sun! Ahhh to moments like these -- to sit back and relax!

This may sound odd to some of you, and never mind that I don't sing well, but being on the swings has a way of making us burst into song. It was, "Our God is an awesome God!", on both days, an all-time favourite with Jon and Ben. Often, I'll ask the boys to pick a song, too, for us to sing together, as countdown to when they'll jump off the swings, before we head home!

It's a new week... hope you find some time to watch the clouds, too! Have a great one now! =)

Not exactly Spring Chicken, but here's one chicken that my boys will eat again and again. I use a soya sauce based marinade with practically everything: salt, pepper, sugar, oyster sauce, either rice vinegar or rice wine, and I prefer maple syrup to honey because it always turns out sweeter somehow!
Mar 08 vi 111 Mar 08 vi 117

But I haven't figured out what's the best way to roast it. Sometimes I flip the thighs and drumsticks midway. Sometimes I change to the "broil" mode towards the end, but if I leave it on for too long (without covering the chicken with foil), I've triggered the smoke alarm... no kidding!

What's your secret to a perfect roast? Do share!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect roasted chicken ? hmm.. the taste I think a bit sweet is perfect

Jo said...

Bp, that is why we are getting hitched now. Cos' it's spring! ;)

Oh.. I love the swing... from when I was a child, till now. If we go to a playground with swings, I will be on it. For sure! Just love the gentle breeze sweeping past my cheeks with each swing..

Perfect roast ah? So many different kinds of recipes though.. the western type with herbs and butter, the asian type with what you are already using.

I think you have to rub melted butter or olive oil onto the chicken just before you place it in the roasting tin, to seal in the juices.

I've read that you have to place the skin side up, so that the juice/oil from the skin will flow downward and moisten the meat.

I usually like the skin a little crisp, so the last 5-10 minutes, I will move the chicken onto the grill rack, change oven settings to grill, quite high temperature, and place the grill rack near the grill (the red hot iron bars). That will crisp up the skin nicely.

stay-at-home mum said...

I love the flowers in the spring time.

bp said...

Keeyit,
I like it sweet too! =)

Jomel,
I'm thinking maybe your grill setting is the same thing as the broil mode on my old oven, and I normally also leave the skin to crisp in the last few minutes. My problem is, how not to set off the smoke alarm... haha?! Maybe I should make a conscious effort to cover the chicken with foil, if I leave it longer than a couple of minutes.

And now, as I'm writing this, I'm thinking, roasting the chicken outdoors on a BBQ grill is probably still my favourite! Nice and charred, but roasted to perfection! =)

SAHM,
Me, too! Can't wait for the spring blooms!

Stardust said...

Wow, BP's surely a great cook! The chicken looks delicious! Drool...

I used to grow chilli in the past but they didn't last cos I grew them outdoors. Hmm... I'm thinking of growing them again since I can't find fresh chilli here.

Glad that you can have 'Spring' indoors.

~Ling~ said...

Hehe, I like my chicken sweet too!The condiments used would goes well with pork chops too though I am not a pork lover. =)

bp said...

Stardust,
Thanks, you're overgenerous with your kind words! The chix is simple to make, just marinade and leave it in the oven to cook away... and I should be careful not to "over"-broil it and set off the smoke alarm! ;p

Can't wait for the actual blooms outdoors! My chilli's not doing so well tho', very tiny like chilli padi except it's not supposed to be so small! I was actually wondering if it may fare better outside...


Jade,
Sweet is nice, I totally agree! =) Same marinade as you said, I use for our psuedo char siew (pseudo becoz it's much sweeter, and minus the red colouring).