Sunday, September 23, 2007

Let's eat: Pita Bread Pizza!

Sep 07 vi 015

Have you used pita bread as the crust for your semi-homemade pizza? I don't know why we haven't tried it, until recently. But after we did, we've had pita bread pizza twice this month already, even though before this, pizza wasn't quite our thing for dinner.

With the pita bread, we baked it like you would any pizza crust, and it was still (as the packaging said) "soft and tasty" on the inside, and nice and crispy on the outside! Mmm... mmm... all that, we like!
Sep 07 vi 020 Sep 07 iii 022

Our boys don't like peppers though. So instead of a Supreme, we've always just had ours Hawaiian style, plus a bit of seafood, too -- with pineapple, and a combination of any of these pre-cooked food that cuts down on preparation time: ham, frozen (part imitation) crab/lobster meat, and/or shrimp.

Before and after it's baked, with our without sauce...

Sep 07 iii 003 Sep 07 iii 016

Sep 07 iii 005 Sep 07 iii 032

The second time we made pita bread pizza, I had wanted to add some pre-cooked chicken. But when I didn't manage to cook it ahead, I tossed it in the oven to be baked at the same time as the pizza instead, and it became lunch for the guys the next day. I couldn't help but wonder though, if lunch was a better meal than the pizza dinner.

But really, the pizza itself can be a complete meal, and quite a filling one, too. And if you aren't going to throw in any greens as a topping (will spinach work for you?), just have some vegetables on the side, or some soup that's been how we've eaten ours with, that might work for you.

Jon thinks soup makes for a great dip for the pita bread! Broccoli is nice, too!

Sep 07 vi 018 Sep 07 iii 033

Both Jon and Ben liked the pita bread enough to ask if we could have "this kind of pizza" not just on soccer practice days. But I think we'll just keep it to no more than once a week, for now!

What works for us
With or without the kids' help, here's how we like our simple pizza:

  • Grease the pita bread with olive oil. It lends a nice flavour to the pizza, other than to prevent it from sticking to the pan.
  • Top it with pizza sauce if you like. No pizza sauce? I substituted with spaghetti sauce. Or leave it out completely. Or ketchup may work for some kids, too.
  • Sprinkle on some shredded cheese (like mozarella, and even a mix of cheeses), followed by whatever topping of your choice.

Strange though that it's not easily available, but I found pita bread in the bread section of only one of two supermarkets I frequent. The kind we're using for our pizza is the white flat bread, and there are others, including the "no fat" and wheat variety, and pita pockets, to choose from, too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks that your boys love it so much ya..

Jo said...

wow.. thanks! I will surely try this out. I am sure the monsters at home would love it. Yours looks so delish :)

bp said...

Thanks.

Nice of you to drop in, Keeyit!

And Jomel, I hope something like this will work for you and your 4 darlings =)