Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Around kids

I didn't even know I'd sat in a little puddle, until I got up and the back pocket of my jeans felt wet.

And only after I got home did I realise I must have sat in some kid's pee! Because my pants reeked of it!

Maybe it was from the kid who'd asked to go to the bathroom? Just another of those harmless surprises that kids spring on us adults, knowingly or unknowingly!

How much do I love thee?
Jon, while he's not so open anymore when it comes to showing me (and especially me, but less so his daddy) affection in public -- namely, in school, in front of his friends, still plays a nice little "I love you..." game with me, now and then! And I think he means what he says, quite as much as I do.

This was from that "Guess How Much I Love You" board book we read when he was little, (you must have read it before, too), where Nutbrown Hare and junior were trying to "outlove" one another.

We've done our own versions, that includes loving each other "all the way to the sun, to space...", "... and back" even. And the other night, Jon said to me, "I love you to the heavens... because it's way farther than even outer space!".

It left me speechless, and while I could have tried to top that declaration before he dozed off, I went to bed after that, with a big smile on my face! =)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

bp, well done. Do not think they will lose this open affection altogether.

If you nurture them with all the love you can give, there will be moments where they will surprise you even when they get to 20, 30, 40....

My son, even though, 20, still hugs me and kisses me as and when he feels like it. Don't force or ask but at their own time, they will surprise you. They have the love of the Lord in them!

stay-at-home mum said...

The older they get the less affection they will show us, but I am sure they love us just as much if not more, coz they begin to understand more all mum have done for them - esp in when they have kids of their own!!

NomadicMom said...

Think I am lucky in this sense lah.. My older one still will come and hold my hand in school :-)

The younger one? Mega "thaer" and will call me "mmmommmmmyyyy" in school, and will hug me tight. His girl classmates used to find it amusing!

bp said...

Judy,
Good Gareth! Good mommy, you are!

Thanks, I'll remember to just let my boys be... always nice to be pleasantly surprised.

SAHM,
=)... waiting patiently, tho' long way more to go.

Nomadic Mom,
Aw, so sweet, so nice of your boys to do all that!

I think my older one is afraid of the teasing! ;p And my younger one just wants to be like his big brother!