
Among other things keeping us busy last weekend, Jon and his soccer classmates played their last game of the season. They beat a rather strong team, coincidentally by the same two points they'd lost to them in another game together, earlier in the season.
It was great to see the improvement our team has made, and no better way to wrap up the wonderful season than with a pizza party! One, which all families represented there, got to join in, too!
It's really quite amazing, how every one would show up, game after game, to lend his or her support! And I'm not talking about just soccer moms and dads, and siblings (unless they were also playing in another game, at another field), but also grandmas and grandpas, and sometimes, aunts and uncles, even!
The party ended aptly with Coach Caleb handing out the medals. Jon was the last boy to get his, and Caleb bent over to let him know, he liked Jon "always being out there"! Moments before that, another parent, after the game, had also taken Jon aside to tell him he was proud of his courage!

You know, as a parent, I do really appreciate it whenever another grown-up takes the trouble to tell my children something like this. Whether it's a word of encouragement, to spur them on, or a word of wisdom when it pertains to areas needing improvement.
The Margin
To be honest, I'm rather relieved that soccer has ended, and we get to take a little break from such practise sessions and games that go on twice a week. Because Jon isn't asking to join basketball, the sports coming up next, although I know he will want to be in baseball again, when it comes round again, later! Meanwhile, there's chess, also twice a week (pant, pant!), going on!
Now, it's never stressful for the child going for such activities, simply because he enjoys them, and we let him, within reasonable limits (read: what we can take, and yes, there is a limit!). Still, schoolwork comes first -- no compromise about that, though. But put everything together, and it does come to a packed schedule for the whole family, what with not only school and homework, but also our day-to-day activities to juggle, plus, whatever else we try and squeeze in.
At this time, when I'm asking myself, why I'm always hurrying from place to place, from one thing to another, and being a tad too ready to say yes to a chance here and there that lets us do our bit for others, not just be absorbed in our own lives, I hadn't realized that even the littlest things can all add up.
Yan reminds me of the need to keep a margin...
"This little margin can play magic in your life. It allows you space and unhurried time. If you do not have this little margin, when your children drop something, you burst into temper. When someone step on your toes, you shout at him.
We need this little margin in all aspects of our life – physically, emotionally, financially and spiritually."
Read the rest of Yan's post on "The Margin", here:
http://yantouch.wordpress.com/2005/05/05/the-margin/
Now she wrote this more than two years ago, but it speaks to me today. Thanks, Yan! I needed that!
Can you do with some margin in your life, too? =)

4 comments:
I really envy your kids, so many activities that they can take part in. Over here in Singapore, the educational system is soooo stressful that my kids dont have much time for so many sports. They can only concentrate on the one that they are good at - chess. But I make swimming a must for them - coz I feel it is a survival skill.
SAHM,
Chess and swimming are great choices! =)
Actually, we also just let Jon do one sports, and recently added chess when he showed improvement in his reading. Schoolwork here may not be as stressful, but I get stressed still especially when he's a tad too relaxed and needs a lot of prodding! (S'pore-trained... hard to run away from stress... Hehe)!
BP, I feel a bit teary seeing how keen Jon is! I couldn't agree with what his coach said, he is always a go getter and keen to give it a go. That's such a positive attitude and he is such a great kid! Well done Jon!
Priscilla,
Thanks, it's not always easy, and I guess at the end of the day, we remind our kids, and ourselves, that what matters most is if we try our best, and let God do the rest.
Post a Comment