
Jon and his classmates are doing their first book report in class, over today and the next few days. Every one gets to dress up as a character from the book he or she has picked out to read, and will stand in front of the class to tell the story.
Jon's turn was today. He wanted me to be there, although I wasn't sure if parents could attend, and I almost didn't make it. Because yesterday, clumsy me had stubbed my little toe walking into a doorframe! There's a blueback, I don't think anything is broken, but it does hurt if you touch it, and especially when the boys had "taken turns" to step on it accidentally!
The only shoes I can fit into now, because the toe is quite swollen, and my "spread out foot" can't fit even my broadest open-toed sandles -- are flip flops. Good thing it's my left foot, and I can still drive!
So this morning, after walking Ben to his class, I flipflopped my way with Jon three storeys up to his classroom, and found out I could stay to watch the book reports! Yay!
The teacher said Jon could be first in line, but he asked to go second instead. He was getting butterflies in his tummy, the way I remembered how jittery I was too, when I was little and took part in some school storytelling competition, but probably didn't do well. (I don't remember all the details now, and I don't know why I'm getting all these flashbacks lately)!
With Jon, I simply told him to "be yourself!", besides being Jack, the character he chose. We said a quick prayer on the way to school, and Jon did wonderfully, never mind that he missed out a couple of things he'd set out to say.
He was clear enough, and midway into re-telling the plot in his own words, he also remembered to put on his hood. So he was like Jack, who was like the ninjas in that Magic Tree House book #5, "Night of the Ninjas", that he'd enjoyed reading!
I didn't have my camera on me, to take a video of him in action then and there. And because of my toe, I didn't run down the flights of stairs to get it from the car, till after he was done, to take these two pictures!
Our camera wasn't working well though, either that or something to do with the batteries, and I only managed a blur picture of him and his friends, just before the teacher was done taking a shot of them!

But picture or no picture, video or no video, the important thing was, I got to be there! There to lend my support, because I think it had meant something to Jon, not just me!
When Jon went and changed out of his Jack getup, I waited for him in the hallway, just so I could let him know what a great job I thought he did! And, you know what? I got my hug! A big one, without me asking for it even! =)

4 comments:
Please go check out your lil toe, even if you think it's not broken because if it is and it's not set properly later on might cause problms. Better be safe my dear.
Oh dear, I wish I hadn't been so clumsy, and you know how troublesome it is without a clinic a stone's throw away to just pop into, anytime we need, unlike back home =(
You know, I always wanted to ask, with all the photos of your boys at school that you upload here, did you take them?
That would mean you were in the class with them? Are you allowed to be in the classrooms? :)
Judy,
Pictures of school are normally from events where parents are welcome to attend.
For this book report session of Jon's and some of his classmates, I'd asked for permission to sit in, because he wanted me to. Also he said other parents have sat in for other lessons before, and wondering when I could come visit, too.
For Ben, their teachers are even more flexible and parent helpers are always welcome, and now and then I pop in when I can. But not always as the camera-toting mom! Haha!
Post a Comment