Sunday, October 7, 2007

Three reasons to hang out with kids

Two friends back home asked me separately, and I'm paraphrasing their similar question:

Don't you hang out enough with your own boys, and still (want to) go hang out with other kids?

My answer:

Not that I haven't other things to do, and I know I don't have much of a life outside the four walls of our home. But while children (my own, and others' too) don't always follow directions given to them very well, they are
  1. fun to be with,
  2. forgive and forget easily, and are
  3. full of surprises!

And I'm referring to pleasant surprises, of course! Not those bathroom emergenices that I somehow always seem to get more than my er "fair" share of, and which we are getting a lot more with the new batch of younger Sunday School kids, than with the older ones who have moved on to the next level.

I miss the old batch of kids, I do. But I am gradually getting to know the new group. Today I was with them, and last Sunday too, and only because there were five Sundays last month, and that many of us confirmed helpers (so clearly, there's always a need for more). And it did help that we had an extra pair of hands today.

Among the things that didn't go so well, and those that did, it was the little things -- like seeing one boy trying to comfort a crying girl by bringing her sippy bottle to her without anyone asking, and then her telling me her boo-boo was better after I've sat with her for awhile till she stopped crying -- that made my day, and always what makes it extra nice to hang out with the little ones!

I'm not saying that 2 year olds aren't a handful, and we all know their penchant for tantrums more than for sharing or turn-taking. In this new group, there is also one child who needs a lot more attention, and really keeps us on our toes, and we've been told that the parents are getting developmental tests done on their child.

This year helping out, albeit in the same small way, I had a little caveat though -- for me to leave about 15 minutes earlier, instead of staying the usual whole duration. And that's just so that our family can squeeze in a quick lunch after church, before rushing off for Jon's weekly Chinese class. I know, we do have some crazy schedules, and we have worked ourselves up into a frenzy, many a time!

And that's why, while I also know there are plenty more opportunities to do more with the kids in church or at school, I'm just sticking to little ways here and there, without overcommitting myself. My husband has been a great help too, by staying home with the boys if one of them has a runny nose, or when something else crops up that makes it hard for us all be in church at the same time.

You have a good week now! And before I go, how about a couple of riddles, from Stewart, Ben's classmate, that may get you laughing? I only wished I had laughed just as hard the second time round Stewart told this joke to me. But no, he didn't hold it against me, not one bit, and asked if I could come back and play with him and the other boys and girls another day. I'll be back! ;p

Q1: Who is Burger King's wife?

Q2: Where do they live?

Q3: What kind of money do they use?

.

.(scroll down for the answers)

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

(A1: Dairy Queen; A2: White Castle; A3: Starbucks)

No comments: