Monday, October 1, 2007

Did I blow it?

No, I didn't blow the whistle on the child whose "bribe" my own child succumbed to. I had a chance to talk to his mom, but I didn't, because we'd decided it was best left to Jon, for him to work it out with his friend. He returned the money at school today, although it took him a few tries.

But when I saw his friend at soccer practice and said hi, his friend walked past me like I was transparent. See? Now, I'm the bad mommy!

Would you have encouraged your child to return the money? Or keep the money, for after all it's only $1, and let the matter rest instead?

I know the money wasn't given out of malice, although possibly more than just as appreciation, because the offer to give it was made to my child before it was given in exchange for the Math answer.

But now, am I being unfair to Jon's friend by expecting him to take back the money? And maybe I'd expected more from my soon-to-be 7-year-old, the way I'm quite sure had it been me, my own parents would have also asked me to give the money back.

Jon's still talking to me. So, that's not so bad. But why does it look like I blew it with him, and especially his friend, this time? And I don't know how much of the "I can help you, but not for money" and "Let's see how I can help you better" message, Jon managed to get through to his friend.

But it's best if I just leave it at that -- with my own child, and with his friend.

4 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

Hey, if I was his friend I would be really happy, I would have an extra dollar to spend on myself. His friend prob had other things on his mind or didnt notice you. Dont think he would hold anything against you. Kids forget very fast, esp boys.

Jo said...

yes.. you should not think too much of it. Since Jon is the same age as Kelly, and he is a boy afterall, and technically not as sensitive as a girl, I doubt any damage has been done. :)

Priscilla said...

Honestly, I think Jon has done well. And in the mind of a 7yo, they won't be fussed by the incident for long. Soon, they will forget, play again and as you said, leave it to them, it's afterall for them to sort out :) Sometimes as parents/adults, we analyse too much, like my boss used to say "analyse analyse until paralyse!" heehee

bp said...

Thanks, my dears, so looks like it's a case of

Oversensitive mom vs. Easygoing Boys...

Phew! *wipes brow*

And no pun intended, but hopefully this episode will blow over faster than I think.