
Finally, this past week, while the boys and I were keeping warm indoors, my wonderful husband (without me urging him, and partly because he knew he could not put it off any longer, what with temperatures falling already), braved the cold outside, and drizzle even, to finish working on our garden.
Everything from taking out existing plants and preparing the soil, to planting new bulbs and then burying some chicken wire over them. A new trick he's trying, as a way of preventing pesky critters from digging the bulbs out, as had happened before. There was a lot of toiling, more than what you can see from this plot, before he could put back the existing and new plants, and top up with more soil and mulch.

For all the hard work Vern put in, and setting aside time to do so (and if you know just how strapped for time he is for his schoolwork), I hope every thing he's planted will make it, and turn out close to what we've planned for it to look like. And we will have lovely blooms to enjoy, come spring!
Among the other crazy days, and crazy moments, this past week, I have other things to be thankful for, and go "yay!" about. People like you who showed us you care, and Ben feeling better, and just in time for us to make the day trip to the city two hours' drive away, for Jon's first time at a chess tournament (more on that coming up!).
Having a bit of fun indoors, making a simple banana cake and muffins, Jon does all the stirring for a change...

Two-fifths of the cakemix were enough to make six muffins for ourselves, and the remaining three-fifths for a square cake for a neighbour's teatime. I put the square cake into the oven to bake first, and went and got the portions for the muffins ready, so that the cake and muffins would be done at about the same time. We still don't own a loaf pan, because I normally prefer to halve the baking time by splitting up the cakemix like this.

On school matters, Jon got a nice first quarter report from his class teachers, and has shown improvement in what needed more attention before. He's encouraged, and so am I! That aside, on a different day, I also got to spend a rather crazy morning with a favourite teacher, that I'm grateful for nonetheless,because there's always lots to learn from her.
And you can always tell, when someone's recovering, when his or her appetite comes back. Ben ate three helpings of noodles with this beef stew! And it was probably because of the noodles he couldn't resist, not so much the stew, as he's not a stew person. But stews and soups are great ways to keep warm in this colder weather.

Counting my blessings is one thing I'm trying to do more often -- to be thankful, to be grateful, so I will not take things for granted, as I do. With our boys, I try and ask them too, at the end of each day, to think of something to be thankful for, to include in our bedtime prayer.
What are you thankful for today? You have a lovely week now!
And you haven't already heard, Firehorse has her home back!
Tips for a Stay At Home Mum - How To Stay Sane!
Check out these wonderful tips from Karen Cheng, "designer, writer, web chick and blogger since 1999"...
http://www.karencheng.com.au/2007/10/23/tips-for-a-stay-at-home-mum/

3 comments:
I am thankful that the exams for my son end tomorrow!
Love your flowers!
If your son gets too hooked on chess you may end up like me - no holidays. Every holiday is spent on chess - tournaments! Hope the younger one has the same passion too or the family cannot do anything together. Now all we do is go for chess tourns. Likely both my 2 older kids are into it.
Wa...the flowers are lovely. And you are very good hor..bake with kids sooooo often. I am a terrible mommy lah..
SAHM,
Yay, end of exams = celebration!
Thanks!
Hehe! Our kids take up all our time, don't they? For me, we're only running around for my elder one's afterschool activities, and I already wish I can catch my breath! Dunno how when the 2nd one has his own stuff to do, too!
Nomadic Mom,
Thanks. Hey, I see you do baking too! Mine is normally really simple stuff -- just stir everything together and put into the oven to bake, and hopefully doesn't take too long, because kids always don't have the patience to wait! Hehe!
Post a Comment