Friday, October 19, 2007

Honey-Soy turned Curry Pork

Sep 07 viii 070

I stumbled on this recipe, at about the same time my soon-to-be-ex favourite Asian grocery store had still not replenished its stock of the mild curry powder I normally buy to make a really light curry chicken or beef, that my guys won't complain is too "la la"!

But the store was still selling the already expired Do Do fishballs that it was selling two months ago! So, I went to another store, albeit a smaller one, and ended up with some more spicy-looking curry powder (if degree of spiciness = intensity of colour!), and couldn't wait to try it out!

So, before I lose this recipe -- and I think it worked out nice enough (for me, at least), I'd better take some time to save it here, and share it with those of you who may be interested in trying out one or both versions!

To get the curry version I did, just substitute the cumin called for in the recipe with curry powder. Actually, I'd used about twice (maybe thrice!) the amount of cumin called for, because I hadn't used a spoon to measure out the curry powder, but just dumped it out of the bottle, quite by accident! But I like that it turned out spicy, unlike the possibly much sweeter honey-soy one!

Maybe it'll go down better with my three guys, if I made a less spicy version the next time?

But don't you love it, when you sort of come up with your own version of an original recipe, when you substitute or do away with ingredients here and there, and still have something that works? All in the name of experimenting, right? And you never know if it works or not, until you've tried it!

Original recipe for Honey-Soy Pork*
Source: All You magazine

*Disclaimer: The picture shown in the magazine looks nothing like the curry version in my picture above. To get the curry version, substitute cumin with curry powder (according to taste... read: your tolerance for spicy food!).

(to be uploaded soon when I can find another pocket of time!)

No comments: