Tuesday, July 17, 2007

What'd you say?

Jul 07 iv 140

Ben to Gong Gong: Say that again... it's so funny! Haha!

Jul 07 iv 141

I don't know what's with my ear. The pain is better, thanks all for your concern. It just comes in waves, compared with the sharp pang and constant throbbing when it first hit me six days ago.

But the blockage is stubborn, and doesn't seem to have cleared up. And it's making it hard for things said to get through my erm, thick head, what with all that fluid still built up in there!

I'm done with my "hot dog medicine" -- the pinkish-brown elliptical-shaped antibiotics, as Ben calls them. Is there something, anything that may relieve the discomfort of a blocked ear? I called the doctor to find out. Going around with one bad ear does affect my hearing and quality of life to some extent, and I do look peaky and don't feel perked up yet.

So the good doctor prescribed me eardrops yesterday, and I have to wait another seven days to see how that goes. After that, he can "wash" my ear, to clean out any ear wax that may be the stumbling block to my regaining normal hearing again.

Meanwhile, Vern concluded from what we read on the web, that perhaps I shouldn't blow my (also blocked) nose too hard. Because the mucus may go into the middle ear through the Eustachian tube, and when the fluid gathers there, it encourages the growth of bacteria and virus. Maybe that was how I got my ear infection to begin with?

But I tell you, when I pinch my nose and blow out, that split second when my ear is unclogged -- it feels oh-so-good!

Whitaker Music Festival at the Gardens

Jul 07 iv 154 Jul 07 iv 151

Just before the onset of my ear infection, we did get to enjoy some nice country music during one of several summer concerts happening this time of the year. And probably the best free one around, for there are just so many few times in a year, the Gardens will allow its visitors to picnic anywhere on its grounds, and take the opportunity too, to see its lovely flora before the stars come up.

Jul 07 iv 169 Jul 07 iv 162

Other times, you may be able to sneak in some sandwiches, but you can't plonk a blanket or lawn chairs as you wish, the way hundreds of people like us filled up every available spot on the grass -- within view or not of the stage, and hopefully still within earshot of the music.

Jul 07 iv 138 Jul 07 iv 159 Jul 07 iv 149 Jul 07 iv 123

But even without the performance, the nice cool weather that evening was reason enough to spend time outdoors. Look how comfortable Jon made himself... tsk tsk!

Jul 07 iv 136

And the sun was only just going down, when we packed up to go.

Jul 07 iv 165


Moms, try this tip!
I learned this neat trick from a churchmate when Ben was younger, and I still do it for him:

Jul 07 iv 117

Lift up the flaps on the sides of the juicebox and get your toddler to hold them rather than the juicebox itself. Chances are, he won't lose half of the juice and it's less likely to squirt all over him. He's happy, and you're happy, too! =)

Jul 07 iv 121

4 comments:

Priscilla said...

Did Ben just have a haircut? He looks cute. The kids are looking like they have bonded very well with gong gong.

bp said...

Harimau,
You're right... you are so observant! My husband cuts our boys' hair... he does a really good job, so there's no need for me to try and pick up that skill. Hehe!

Yes, all that male bonding is wonderful. But Gong Gong leaves for home sweet home next week... so soon!

Anonymous said...

Great photos. All so happy.
By the way, do you use the Chinese ear digger to clean your ears? They are the best. :)
My husband used to get his ears cleaned by the doctor and used to have problems until he married me. I started using the Chinese ear digger and since then he never has to go to the GP or use ear drops and no problems. As for my kids, they just love the soothing effect.

bp said...

Judy,
Thanks. Yes, I know the Chinese ear diggers you're talking about. You're right, ear buds aren't good for cleaning our ears... the WebMD site says they push the ear wax even further in!

I think my ear's taking longer to unclog because the infection was from the fluids from my bad nose and cold, and probably aggravated by ear wax.