Coming here made it possible for me to have the benefit of knowing what both are like, to a certain extent -- the long hours each one demands, as well as the job satisfaction at the end of the day. And by now, me still hanging in there as an overseas SAHM, I've done both for about the same amount of time:
- Some 3.5 years as an FTWM, out of my 10 years working back in Singapore.
- About 3 years of being an SAHM abroad.
And in-between stopping work after Ben was born, and us making our way here, I've also got the chance to know, albeit for a brief two odd months, what staying home for many a lucky Singaporean woman is like -- with live-in help, and parents/in-laws within easy reach. Both kinds of much appreciated assistance, however, aren't options available to us in a home away from home. But that's another story for another time.
So, of what I've done, which of these 'types' of moms do I really want to be? Thanks to JoMel in her "My ambition" post, I now get to tell you...
My Dream Job as a mom
"Can I be an FTBM?" came my brainwave!What?" asked my husband. And then, "no!", when I told him I was thinking, Full-Time Blogging Mom!
But hear me out, I replied. And to you who're reading this, and don't think I've gone out of my mind, here are my three good reasons:
1. My husband thinks I shouldn't be blogging in the dead of the night, when the kids are asleep. I think he's right. But how do I make sense of the tons of pictures I like to take?
Now if someone pays me to blog about our family living abroad -- our adventures big and small, and our good days and bad, and also me as an overseas SAHM -- the challenges and rewards it brings, I think I can ju$$$tify better my time spent on this platform.
It could be a solution to getting the best of both worlds, which brings me to my next two reasons.
2. In order to churn out good stories on my blog, I need quality everything, from good flashcards to great food to unlimited access to the best attractions. Imagine if all that is paid for... wow! And the icing on the cake -- I get to be with my kids all the time, and not miss out on their milestones.
That's the part I enjoy most as an SAHM, besides having a slightly more flexible schedule.
3. I get to do what I like -- not just blog, but blogging means writing and meeting people (and hopefully not just online). Both of which formed a huge part of my job as an FTWM last time.
Having said all this though, I'm not sure if I want to have a blog chockful of ads, and articles I write only if they are sponsored. But who knows? Make me that decent proposal I can't refuse, and I may just take it! ;p
And Tag... you're it!
Now for us to hear from these fellow moms and dad:
- Charlene of {Scrap_A_Bee}
- Harimau of Moments in a Day
- Sirennights of Fatherhoot Inc
Folks, here’s how it works:
1. So easy peasy, if you were given a choice, would you be an SAHM or FTWM? Just provide 3 darn good reasons.
2. Include your post link to the list below and finally,
3. Tag another three mommies
List (so far -- inherited from JoMel, including my own dream job):
1. Immomsdaughter prefers to be an SAHM
2. Miche prefers to be an SAHM too.
3. SYH prefers to be a PTWM.
4. Shoppingmum is definitely an SAHM material.
5. WMD definitely prefers FTWM.
6. Nomadic Mom THINKS she prefers to be a PTWM.
7. Dancing Queen is a PTWM.
8. JoMel will be an FTTT.
9. BP dreams of being an FTBM.
What say you?

6 comments:
FTBM may well could work out well for you....you have nothing to lose. In fact, you've already started. I think you really don't need to be up in the early hours of the morning. When your boys are at school, you could churn out your photos and ideas and get creative in your kitchen. :)
Yes, in a way, that's what my old blog was about, too. Just that I'm not enterpreneurial enough and also because I haven't found the energy to see how to make it work $lightly better!
Ben will only be starting preschool in fall, for a few hours each day, and not every day. And because he goes by a different time from Jon, my husband thinks it's going to be an even crazier schedule for me... shuttling to and fro, back and forth, all day, and then coming back out to pick Jon, and then the husband at day's end. Quite the driver I will be. I hope I won't be too worn out to blog!
Short posts are easy and super fast to do, but the moment I want to put in many pictures, that's when the downloading, shortlisting, uploading, and cutting and pasting takes up too much time, that I usually can't do in my small pockets of time in the day. There are more stories and adventures I've wanted to blog, but because of this, never got round to them.
Dont lose sleep just to blog. A tired mum is a grumpy mum (for me at least). Do it when the boys are at school or napping.
Agreed, SAHM, and I can do with more sleep. My boys don't nap, and for the younger one, he gave it up too early, too soon. Hopefully when he starts school, I will make creative use of the short time (not very much, but better than none!) on those days he's in school, to do something other than just housework or cooking, or for it to be all taken up by just blogging.
But there's always going to be so much to do and so much else we would like to do, so little time, so I guess I will need to prioritize.
FTBM!! hahaha.. funny..
I used to wonder too, if I could make blogging my profession. Apparently it does not pay enough (for me).. so I had to scrap that thought. But why don't you give it a try.. do the adsense thingy and all. Who knows what it'll lead too right?
Thanks for completing the tag. :)
Jomel,
No prob, thank you for letting me build some castles in the air too! ;p
There's other stuff I'd like to do too, besides blogging, so see if I can find the time and energy first.
Post a Comment