Wednesday, July 18, 2007

What you see isn't always what you get

Usually I'm not half the hypochondriac my husband used to be. But I really could taste the ear drops when he helped me drip them into my ear canal. And that suggested that my ear drum might be perforated. And that meant I should stop using the ear drops, according to the instruction leaflet that came with them.

So two days later, yesterday now, I went back to the doctor. He couldn't see all that clearly if the ear drum was really punctured. But now he's changed the course of my treatment, and I have a different kind of ear drops to determine if ear wax could be the culprit here.

Oh please, let it be, because my blocked ear and only having one good ear to hear with, is getting to me!

The heat also got to me, when temperatures went up to 96 deg F! We were running late going to the clinic, and coming back for me to cook dinner, because of all the roadworks going on here and there, and just about everywhere we drove.

Jon was at home with Gong Gong, and Ben with Vern and me. And so, while Vern and Ben went and got some Chinese take-out, and my new ear drops, I decided quite the spur of the moment, to go cut my hair at the one and only Asian hairdresser's we knew wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

We would be done at about the same time, so why not? I mean, I have been talking about cutting my hair for quite some time now, since winter. Just never got round to coordinating with Vern when he could stay home to be with the boys.

So finally, I did! But to cut a long story short, my hair was not "WYSIWYG". I asked for a bob with wispy ends, and even found a picture of it in the book the hairdresser had shown me. But his idea of that was simply slicing a blade through my whole hair, to give it a blunt look. He didn't use the scissors, not once.

The two sides, I realised after we got home, were not even. One's longer and heavier. But I do know that a bob is one of the hardest styles to cut, but mine is anything but the spiffy I'd hoped for. Hmm... should I try and thin down the lopsided side by myself? I've been happily doing that to the sides of my long hair, before this, the way I cut my own fringe month after month, too. But long hair hides mistakes better, and fringes grow out pretty fast.

Partly because of the trouble of leaving the boys with Vern, and partly because I don't quite know the hairdresser's style nor does he mine, cutting hair, after coming here, has become a once-a-year affair, like a rite of passage. But hair is hair. It'll grow. So other than that I am now sporting my primary schooldays' hairstyle (no kidding!), I'm happy with how light my head feels! Hopefully, my blocked ear will follow suit!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will pray that your ear problems will be healed.
Any photo of your new hair cut? :P

bp said...

Judy,
Thanks, I appreciate your prayers.

Nay, no photo (yet)... looks kinda like short hair growing out. It's OK lah. But considering the salvage work put in -- I cut a whole sinkful of hair myself today before my husband came and checked that I hadn't overdone it, I'm wondering if I should have just gone to one of those "quick cuts" shops instead for half the price.