
Have you seen this fruit before? What's it called?
My American neighbour came over to show it to me, the other day, hoping I would know. But both of us were seeing it for the first time. Her friend from China just harvested it (and must have somehow brought over the seed from her own country, to grow here in her garden), and wanted to share the fruits (literally!) of her labour with my neighbour.
I took one red 'ruby'. It tasted nice and sweet, and the flesh, soft and smooth. And it slid off easily, to reveal a flat brown seed about the size of a melon seed ("kway ji").
The closest fruit I could think of, based on how it tasted to me, was the custard apple, while my neighbour thought of the pomegranate, probably because of the many individual servings in both fruits.
Maybe you know what it is? And then I can go tell her!

5 comments:
that doesn't look like custard apple. did it taste like one? It looks weird... I have no idea what that is. Pray tell when you know. :)
Jomel,
Yes, I ate only one small 'ruby' and thought it tasted like custard apple, but no, it sure doesn't look like one at all. Weird, you're right is the word! The prickly-looking exterior, but it's soft, not hard, unlike the durian.
Hopefully someone here can shed some light.
Looks like pomegranate on the inside. Maybe it's a family of pomegranate?? :)
Probably a cross breed. Custard apple are usually green and the fruit inside is white and creamy, whilst pomegranate has a smooth skin, with ruby red fruit inside, but not creamy. Seems like a cross of the two
Ladies,
Thanks! Hope someone someday will crack this little mystery. Or if somehow I come to find out what fruit this is, I will let you know too =)
Post a Comment