Sunday, July 22, 2007

Catch my drift?

Jul 07 viii 145

Just a quick post to thank God and your prayers said for my ear to get better faster. The pain's negligible now, and since yesterday I can hear my own voice in the blocked ear -- an indication, according to the wise husband, that my Eustachian tube's opened and I'm on my way to total recovery! Yay!

I also listened to Vern when he said for me to stop using the ear drops for ear wax, so the inner wall could get a better chance to heal than if it were damp all the time. Not that I could, on my own, without his help, be able to get the ear drops into my ear. But I'd like to go along with his logic, that ear wax might not be the problem here.

This past 1.5 weeks since my ear infection, amidst my constantly asking people to repeat themselves and if they could speak louder, there was one particular train of thought I couldn't quite follow though. A stranger at the supermarket had asked me, "Didn't you used to be called Tsing?" He was standing less than a metre away, but I still went, "Huh? Sorry, could you say that again, please?".

Then he let on that I reminded him of his friend's late wife. And my hairstyle, especially, was what he attributed the "uncanny" resemblance to. "She was from mainland China. You are, too?" he asked, and sounded to me, more like he presumed.

I didn't mean to be rude, but many times, in my short or long hair, even after I've mentioned Singapore, I still get that quizzical look from those who do not know that ours is an island in Southeast Asia. And this was one of those times when I had probably just mumbled a "Happy shopping", before I pushed my cart elsewhere.

I've been trying not to let my bad ear and bad haircut get to me. For my hair, it's really not so bad after our at-home repair job. I took my elder sis' advice nonetheless: Just put on a pair of sunglasses, and you're good to go!

Jul 07 viii 052

So that was me in my $6 Target shades, that I've been driving around in for sometime now, because the sun (I finally have to admit) does get in my eyes. Now, I didn't used to wear sunglasses very much, and don't really like taking pictures in them because you can't see who's the 'real' face wearing them! But hey, what do you know? My sis is quite right -- they do a pretty good job of taking the attention away from a bad haircut... haha!

So perhaps sisters do know best! I'm wearing a new top from my sis. I don't know what's the reason why she didn't keep it for herself. Maybe because she thought it'd fit me better? I hope she'll also like what we've picked out for her, and likewise my younger sis and stepmom, when they see what my father will be taking back to them.

Partly because there was only so much that Vern could fit into his luggage when he made the trip back to Singapore, and partly because my father was coming here with him, stuff to take home to my side was kept till now. There's not much, and the space in my Pa's luggage is prime real estate, too, and so, again, only so much can go in. But my folks will understand, yes?

Catch you in a little bit, with more pictures besides these ones, all taken at one of those family-friendly attractions we've heard other parents talk about, but we only just got round to taking our boys and Gong Gong! There is quite a lot to see when we don't put shopping first.

Meanwhile, you have a good week ahead!

9 comments:

Jo said...

haha.. your hair's don't look bad lah.. so modern looking.. it takes years off you! Serious.

Good to know that your ear is healing. are you taking oral antiobiotic too?

Bkworm said...

i've been mistaken many times for indonesian, filipino, thai...anything but chinese. not good...to be mistaken for my kids' maid! anyway, good to know that your ear is getting better! :D

bp said...

Jomel,
Haha! So the sunglasses do work! ;p

I completed a first course of oral antibiotics. This is my 2nd set of ear drops, and the doctor said to give it another week before he sees if a 2nd course of antibiotics' needed.

Bkworm,
Yes, dunno how to react to such mistakes! But we know who we are, and that's most important of all =)

Thanks, my ear's taking some time to be unblocked, but it's a great feeling that the heaviness in my head, what with all the fluids congested there at first, has cleared! Seemed like it might have been my bad nose and bad cold that triggered the ear infection.

Charlene Teo said...

BP, you've been tagged as a rockin girl blogger lol. Off to bed now. Goodnight!

Anonymous said...

What happen to your ear, i go away for awhile my hawker fall sick liao. Good to know u are feeling better though. Sorry kopitiam got nothing for ear infection, got fever i can make moey for u, got sore throat i make herbal tea, got earache i kenot do anything, wor :(

Anonymous said...

Your hair does not look bad at all. Nothing to do with the sunglasses though.
Praise God that your ear is well on the way to recovery.
Take care.

bp said...

Charlene,
Thanks! I enjoy your blog... your lovely creations totally rock!

Firehorse,
My father thinks my ear infection has to do with my lack of sleep and it's also because of "heaty-ness". You probably do have something for me! =)

Judy,
Thanks, and God bless!

stay-at-home mum said...

Glad to hear *(sorry the pun) that your ear is hearing better now. Hey, those shades are coooool.

bp said...

SAHM,
And I hear you pretty loud and clear! ;p (My ear's still blocked, there is slight pain now and then, but I don't feel sick, so that's good, right?)

The shades... the $6 pricetag is just as cool! =)