
And kids will be kids!
This tyke had me chasing him -- from the front to the back of a friend's house -- 50 something times, in under an hour! Because he wouldn't sit still to play any of the things the other children were busying themselves with!
And if he wasn't pouncing on every other unsuspecting person, he was growling away, and ready to sink his teeth into anyone who'd stop and play!Well, a few did arm-wrestle him, but... will you forgive him for his over-enthusiasm, please? (That was my "greeting" to one and all that evening!).
I wished every one thought he was just plain cute, friendly, and active! But I know in-your-face when I see it, and when no taking aside Lil I-Love-To-Step-On-Your-Toes would get him to stop, I gave up finally, and we just had to call it a night!
Even if he wasn't tired (and you know how restless kids can get when they are ready to crash), this exasperated mom was! *pant, pant*

No, Ben wasn't in his army gear at that graduation party, but soldier play is quite the hit with both him and Jon, as soon as they were old enough to know that anything and everything -- from popsicle sticks, to Lego blocks put together -- can be an imaginary weapon!
Tell me if you have sons, or brothers, or nephews, that I'm not alone in this?
But I'm trying to steer our boys towards other things, besides those free computer games (the shooting kind!) on Miniclip that of late, have had Ben more glued than Jon! Some hand-eye coordination he's developed there, and he could on his own "save" 10 men in the Canyon Defense. It's THE game his "Shi-Fu" (not me, but you-know-who) may suggest you check out before all the other games on the site! But do explore them at your own risk...
Disclaimer: This is not an ad for the site. Don't blame me though, if and when you get hooked! ;p

14 comments:
Yes, boys will be boys. Can certainly relate to that!
Your article brings back childhood memories. I remember I wanted to buy toy guns for my sons when they were small - my wife was strongly against it ... as a result they grew up without "guns", "gun fights", marbles, sand balls, bla bla ... sigh... Kids have a different experience these days...gone are the kampung fun days. Btw, do u miss Singapore food? I was there earlier part of the month. Prawn mee, yong tofu, lor mee, Bak Cho mee ... xD
Boys sure like to have weapons of all sorts. Mine have all sorts... from swords, to light sabers, to machine guns, to space guns...and Yes...those that they make from their lego blocks too.
My girls, of course, love all things girly but they can just be as rowdy and tiring! Really!!
Tot's mom, Jomel,
Hehe! I believe girls will be girls, too, and they can be just as energetic, if not more!
For me, I think I'm just lao liao... every day running after my two kids, I find myself catching my breath! *pant, pant*
James,
My husband is probably more like you, he thinks boys are boys, and we should just let them be. I'm somewhere in-between... we don't have a no toy weapons rule, but whenever I can, I prefer to keep it "low-key".
Oh yes, I do miss Singapore food, because they aren't so readily available here. But in their absence, the Viet or Thai noodles are the closest we can get to some more familiar taste of home.
Nomadic Mom,
Haha, boys will be boys, and with three guys vs one gal in our home (as it's the case in yours!) I can't beat 'em lah! But I've had to stow away the lightsabers away for a bit, when my boys weren't playing nicely... and kiasu, kiasee me didn't want them playing dangerously!
HA! LOVE THIS! LOLOL! With three boys~YES! There is always a rumble in my house~and I probably already told you that. but OH I loved these pics! (((((HUGS))))) sandi
You are not definitely not alone!! Boys will be boys and some girls are just like boys too!!
Dont over-exhaust yourself from running after them - leave that to Vern!!
And, i think Ben is sooo cute!
I could not remember Chris playing with toy gun. Probably, I am like James' Proverb 31 wife :)
But Chris has a touch of the real gun when he followed me to a police function in the course of my work!
This post is so FUNNY! I can't imagine the energy of young boys, don't they ever get tired?
Oh, but they're so CUTE! Reminds me of my lil bro who used to bug me so much to play with him. =)
Sandi,
Haha, thanks! It's a madhouse in our home, but all those silly moments... aren't they just priceless?!
SAHM,
Hey thanks, hard for me to stay mad at Ben! Erm, Vern was engrossed in his conversation to notice Ben scurrying around and trampling on people's feet... think it wouldn't have been so bad, had the place not been so crowded, and Ben was threading his way through like a maze!
Yan,
Proverbs 31 wife is great! Wow, "membership" has its privileges, that must have been a nice "field trip"! =)
Stardust,
Hehe! So you were chasing your brother around the house, like I did with Ben? ;p Some days I really think I'm old already, because I can't keep up that well!
Yeah.. not jes boys, girls can be as energetic n rough. I know mine is. :)
Btw, that's a vy nice Lego gun n pose.
Slavemom,
Thanks. Boy or girl, kids will be kids... so full of life and energy.. I want to be one, too!Hehe!
Heehee, BP, you know what, my JD was totally captivated by Ben's invention. He was stuck to the screen for a good few minutes and I even captured a shot of it.
And you know what, boys and any ammunition kind of toys are sometimes onseparable. Like you, I was the no-no about it, banned my husband from buying it and frowned terribly if anyone dared to buy JD a gun.
But well, one day, my MIL bought JD a machine gun, oh my, I almost pengsan! Then JD played with it all night, the gun ran out of battery and that was the end of it. Just 24 hours only.
These days, he would still want to build it, and I just let it be. Yes, Lego, Stickle bricks, Zoob, Duplo, and you know what, even the pegs from the laundry room aren't spared either, hahaha!
But then, not so long ago, my 20 months old daugther also held out her 2 little chunny fists, running around in the round house with the brother, shouting "Ptooi, ptooi!"
Well...so there, I just sat on the floor and had a good laugh :)
Priscilla,
Hahaha, the sound effects to go along, that's always the best part, isn't it?! Can imagine Chloe and JD having a great time!
Looked at from another way, it is a channel for the kids' creativity. Jon started building these Lego-type "weapons" last time, he's still doing it, and only recently, Ben is more willing to try building his own from scratch instead of getting help from us. Guess if we can't beat 'em, we just join in the fun!;p At some point, they may (or may not) outgrow this, and then it'll just be another phase!
Post a Comment