Friday, April 18, 2008

Midwest Earthquake!

There was a pre-dawn earthquake here!

It was slightly after 4.30am. I was jolted awake by what sounded like a bunch of feet scampering across the roof over our heads!

Is someone up there? Or are we getting hail again? I woke the husband to go check.

Vern turned on the lights, and took a peek out the window. "Nothing, I don't see anything. *Yawn!* Go back to sleep."

It wasn't until morning when we saw the news, that we learned it was an earthquake of 5.2 magnitude, that had rattled Southern Illinois and eastern Missouri! The epicentre was in Bellmont, some 127 miles east of St Louis.

All along, a blur me had assumed we were outside of the earthquake zone. If there's such a thing as a "safe" area, because even in Singapore, we aren't really spared, what with tremors from Indonesian quakes being just as real!

Thankfully, no serious damage has been reported by anyone here. Still, quite scary when you think about it!

It must be more than a coincidence, then, that the play put up by the second-graders (Jon's class) at the Christian school's weekly chapel this morning, was about the promises of God. And it had ended aptly, with the song "Awesome God" -- a timely reminder of His power and sovereignty!

And here's one Youtube clip of it, to share with you also...


This song by Michael W Smith, is an all-time favourite with Jon, Ben, and me. We have the music CD that we play very often, driving between home and school. It's also one of the first worship songs Ben could sing along to!
The Lord’s voice will roar from Zion and
thunder from Jerusalem, and the
heavens and the earth will shake.

But the Lord will be a refuge for his
people, a strong fortress for the people of Israel.

“Then you will know that I, the Lord your
God, live in Zion, my holy mountain...

- Joel 3:16-17

Update: There were two more rounds of the tremors (aftershocks), before the morning was up! Some rattling that I had momentarily dismissed (until the husband called*) as my closing the fridge door too hard! The fridge shook, so did stuff we have on top of it, and a decorative candle structure on the wall behind it was still wobbling away when I walked out of the kitchen!

*The university building was shaking, and the force great enough, it got a grandfather's clock to chime!

12 comments:

sting said...

oh.. luckily the earthquake was not at your town and that there's no casualties ya.. somehow, couldn't play the video.. will come back again to check it ya :-)

Bkworm said...

Glad that you and your family are ok. :) I can't see the video either.

Yan said...

I attended a seminar not long ago related with media. One speaker talked about "home news". He said that "home news" is no longer the news of the place where we stay anymore. He said he had a daughter staying in Canada, so news in Canada to him is now "home news".

Read of the news too - and while I really have not located where St. Louis is (poor geography), I do remember you and yours in St. Louis when I read of the news on the news wired services in my news room.

Today, I identify with the speaker's insights about "home news" more than ever!

Indeed, He is an awesome God. He protects. He listens. He answers.

Jo said...

oh my... that is scary, but thank God you are all ok. May He always protect you and your family BP.

stay-at-home mum said...

I learnt that in an earthquake, hide under a table - safest place - safe from falling things etc. Quick under the table!!
Glad you and the kids are all ok. Take care!!
PS - had no probs watching the video

slavemom said...

The earth structure is slowly changing. No where is a 'safe zone' now as we can even feel earthquakes in M'sia. How scary is that?!

Bengbeng said...

so glad u r not affected. this kind of stuff is no joke. teach the kids wat to do if there r shocks or tremors.. a drill or something

~Ling~ said...

Hi bp,
Gosh...glad that all of you are ok. Thank God. I am so happi that my network is in working order now. =) Miss visiting here.

Stardust said...

Doesn't earthquake always leave people shiver in the spine? I hope that everything gets restored soon! Thank God that your family is alright. I pity those who are directly affected. =( Take care, yah!

Anonymous said...

Glad that you & your family are ok. I was also surprised to hear of the earthquake. I thought the midwest only have tornadoes. Didn't know there's earthquake too.

NomadicMom said...

Didn't know the midwest has earthquake...But everything is okay. Yeah?

Actually, we are very blurr when it comes to earthquake. The last time, we slept through it...didn't even know until my sister and uncle called the next day to ask if we were okay. Perhaps the tremor wasn't as bad since we lived in a house instead of an apartment...

But then hor, the last time I was in Japan, there was quite a big tremor. Apparently, my colleagues RAN OUT of the building block...Me? SLept like a BABY!!! Heeehhehe

bp said...

Thanks everyone, for your concern, tips, and reminder that God watches over us. Much appreciated! =)

There was just another earthquake in nearby Illinois, and I pray there's no serious damage from it either.

We've had tornado warnings and watches during our stay here before, but earthquake's a first for us.

Sting, Bkworm - Wonder if the video could somehow be blocked on your end? Are you able to see the still image of the polar bear in the post? Alternatively, when you have some time, you may like to go to Youtube.com and key in "Awesome God" or "Michael W Smith", and try and access it from there.

Have a wonderful week now, my blogging friends!