


Have another look...

Do you see "trigger-happy" soldiers... with cameras? ;p
It was World War II weekend at the Jefferson Barracks here.
I came across the nondescript (1"x1") announcement for it in the papers. And knowing how this is the kind of stuff boys especially like, we went and caught a slice of the action yesterday!

"Do they have this every year?"
"That's so cool!
"Like a dream come true!"
OK, maybe he exaggerated, but Jon was bubbling over with excitement, the moment we stepped onto the (former barracks, now turned) park grounds -- at the mere sight of the different camps, and all things military...


Ben, who knows a little about wars -- from what he and Jon have caught on TV, besides the bit we've read previously, was also asking questions. Like, what this and that weapon could do, outfits worn by the soldiers, and the kinds of vehicles. Not that this mom had the answers; sometimes, daddy did, and the boys themselves knew a thing or two.


Can you guess which one's the German camp, and which is Italian? (Hint: look for who's wearing a feather in his hat)...


What are some roles women and children played during the war?

The real action (and biggest draw!) was the battle re-enactment, of course, and the crowds were filling up the front-row seats!

The convoy heading towards the battlefield...


... no turning back now!

Lady in a hurry...

... for a group photo! =)

... and we took one with them, before they scooted off for more serious business!Other Kodak moments...
Say cheese!

Afternote: Sorry, I've had to remove the video, as it doesn't seem to work. Think it may also be one of the things causing the blog to crash a lot lately!

14 comments:
That's a very hands on educational trip. That's when informal learning takes place without the kids feeling the pressure. BP, I'm wondering now whether you like it better over there?
Jo-N,
There are different experiences here that I must not take for granted. Nevertheless, some things gotta give, staying abroad, and we definitely miss having loved ones close by.
My son would also go:Cool!!
How interesting that they have such things there. Thats what I miss about not living in the US. Unfortunately we will not be visiting the US until little D is a little older, The flight is jsut too long and when we go we want to go for a long trip (she still feels homesick when we travel).
Ha ha! I thought it's a movie in making or something! This must be so much FUN! I'm a rather rugged person actually, love boys' stuff a lot, especially guns and planes. I think being there will really be an eye-opener for me. Ahh... I miss the Aerospace shows in Sg... =(((
I thought the lady in a hurry was so beautiful. She looks like a movie star. Heheheh...
Thanks for sharing this!! =D I'm going back to read more carefully. Hehehehe...
now, why couldn't we have such fun here? Tomorrow's a holiday and we don't even know what to do, where to go??! SIgh!
wow! this sounds like great field trip.. I've been to an army camp before but this looks much more cool! :-) no wonder the boys were so excited... I would too
SAHM,
Know what you mean about the terribly long flight... so, meanwhile, does that mean back to Australia for the hols? That's a nice family-friendly place for hols, and close enough =).
Stardust,
Hehe, my boys will love to play with you! And I also thought that pretty lady walked out of a movie set... she's quite the doll, isn't she?
Jomel,
How about outdoors, the great outdoors... some place to go for a walk in the park, for a breath of fresh air? =)
Sting,
Yes, for the unique experience, glad we squeezed this into our weekend, that was already packed with the usual ECAs and a couple other commitments.
hi, just passed by.Happy Labour Day!many nice photo here..
It's really fun reading ur posts n seeing the pics. We don't get to 'experience' such events here.
Oh, here's a formal Congrats to u! When r u due?
U hv a great week too!
these is an interesting post n some great pics too.
come n sample mine
http://www.mylongkang.com/category/stories/
Very meaningful trip le.. So nice got such a chance to go..
Hazel,
Thanks, hope your Labour Day was a restful one.
Slavemom,
Now and then there are such activities here, that as you say becoz they are less common back home, and if we can squeeze in the time, we do try and go catch them!
Thanks for your well-wishes... lil one's coming in Aug.
Bengbeng,
Thanks, and it's nice of you to share your stories!
Keeyit,
Dunno why the event was quite low-key, but the turnout was pretty good, so maybe this is an annual event we hadn't known about. Glad we went for it... almost didn't becoz of our regular things going on.
Looks like fun! Would be even better if the boys could dress up like soldiers and run about with the real guys!
Nomadic Mom,
Yes, I think all boys, including yours will like that! =)
Post a Comment