Friday, May 2, 2008

From our garden... and Excellent blogs

Our tulips bloomed later than expected.

But once they've blossomed, they are so wonderful to look at, each time I step in and out of the house. Particularly when I feel I'm barely done working on something, and out I have to go, again!

Like a lovely reminder for me to PAUSE, and TAKE A DEEP BREATH!

I'm not crazy about crazy schedules, as you probably have some of your own. And like other parents, my time revolves a lot around my children's, and it's not easy to get much else done when our hands are full with them!

The driving to and fro can (still) drive me quite crazy, especially on the three mornings Ben has school, along with errands and/or chores I try to get done in the time in-between. And then, when everyone has had a long day -- think restless kids, and short-fused parents -- we can also drive each other up the wall! =(

Apr 08 viii 027 Apr 08 ix 069

This week alone, among other things we're committed to, Jon has three baseball games! It's the coming in and going out, and juggling between the husband's time and my own, to see who can take Jon, without having to drag Ben to everything, that makes me wish our schedule isn't so "xiao!" (crazy in Hokkien)!

Apr 08 ix 066 Apr 08 viii 024

Other stuff cropped up. Ben had rashes on his face, that flared up within three days. I took him to the doctor, who assured me it was just a bad case of eczema, and that Ben could carry on with school. This morning, however, his teacher said the "slapped" cheeks (much redder than Jon's flushed cheeks earlier on) looked like the Fifth Disease (anyone familiar with that?) that kids from her other, twice-a-week, class had come down with awhile ago.

From another mom, and what I just saw on the net, I learned that while the virus would normally not be a concern in children, it would not be good for pregnant women to be exposed to it, for the harm it could cause the baby. I'm worried, and am calling my own doctor; meanwhile, praying that none of us, and no one else who has come in contact with that different illness, have caught it. Will you pray with me, too? Thanks!

Apr 08 viii 170
Delightful daffodils... these always come before the tulips, and have been called the true harbingers of spring!
"Daffodils
That come before the swallow dares, and takes
The winds of March with beauty."
- William Shakespeare, A Winter's Tale

Before I go, and because good things are meant to be shared...

Excellent Blog Award
... I really shouldn't let another week go by, without thanking Stardust and Stay-at-home Mum for including my blog under their choice of the Excellent Blog Award in their posts here and here respectively (if you like to know what are the excellent blogs to visit!). My dear ladies, it's very sweet and generous of you to do so!

Apr 08 viii 092 Apr 08 viii 091

And it's with great pleasure now, that I name these bloggers to have the award, and let them pass it on if they wish...

*Drumroll please*

The Excellent Blog Award goes
Back to:
Stardust
Stay-at-home Mum*

And to:
Bookworm
Yan
Kat

Priscilla
Kopi Soh*
Jomel**
Judy**

All these blogs are excellent in their own ways, and not just the blogs, but the blogger themselves -- and that's why it's their names, not their blog names I've listed -- because of the concern they show to those they love and care!

I've been blessed by their kindness, and especially enjoy being part of these bloggers' lives through the things close to their hearts they share, besides a variety of topics their posts cover.

Apr 08 viii 173 Apr 08 viii 172

These blogs aside, there are so many more excellent blogs out there, and all those of you I'm getting to know. The friendly note here and there that you drop me, always does wonders to brighten up my day! To those who blog, keep blogging, and thank you for sharing! To those who don't blog, I hope now and then, you get something nice out of visiting this blog!

So it's on this note, that I leave you to have a wonderful weekend now, along with these blooms -- tulips, and daffodils -- on our doorstep... for you to enjoy, too! Do stop and smell the flowers to recharge a bit, before another (crazy? hope not!) week starts! God bless =)

Apr 08 viii 168

* SAHM and Kopi Soh are taking a break from updating their blogs, but it's always so nice to hear from them when they still do some blog-hopping! I'm sure I'm not the only one who misses them and their updates, and hope they will revive their blogs (or start new ones) when they can!

** These two blogs have gone private, because of security issues, so you may not be able to access them.


Apr 08 ix 107 Apr 08 ix 108
Doorstep beauty... I'm enjoying these blooms before they are going, going, gone, quite soon!

And if you've seen how bare, and barren in fact, this plot was in the beginning, you'll understand why my husband would like to keep sowing seeds and bulbs till just before we move out of this place. A home away from home made sweeter, because of his green fingers, and gardening efforts... that extend to the weekly mowing, but it's a man's job, the mowing, no? ;p

20 comments:

sting said...

oh the flowers are so pretty.. you guys sure got green fingers :-) hoping Ben's rashes have subsided..

Jo said...

Bp, the tulips and daffodils are gorgeous!! OOoh.. I can just imagine how satisfying and worth the wait now that you are seeing them in full bloom. The colours are really something else, stunning! I so wish I can grow flowers like that over here (wishful thinking!)...

Your "siao" kinda lifestyle, I thought most likely to apply to us, in this part of the world. I thought it should be more "relaxed" where you are? Well, no matter what, remember to pause and "smell" the flowers ya?

Thank you for the mention, yet again. You are just too kind and I so appreciate and treasure the thought. :)

Jo said...

Do you know that I just only read your comment after I posted mine here. Right after. Talk about timing! hahaha.. Thank you for *sayanging me* *BIG HUGS* :)

KopiSoh said...

Wowe the flowers are reli beautiful, i love tulips especially and did u plant irises as well, those are nice too. Yes I have heard of that Fifth Disease hope he is better now. Yunno lately i've been having rashes too, i think it is something in the air. Thanks so much for the award, I will definitely bling it bek to the kopitiam and when/if i re-open I will dsplay it proudly, hehe one can never have too many awards esecially one that is given from the heart. Hugsss tankiu. One problem tho the award pic din load wor, can see one square with X in it nia, how??

KopiSoh said...

See lar me, take award then go off lidat, forgot to congratulate u for getting the award oso. Congratulations, YOU deserve it!

KopiSoh said...

Kam bek again, no no i not spamming u, soli forgot to leave kopi and chicken pie, btw i miss seeing u in FB. Over there at least i can send u tings :D

Yan said...

bp,

Thank you so much for the "award". I am busy "Looking into the past and remembering the future" with my Church Golden Jubilee Celebrations and in the meantime, having like "writer's block".

Can see some pictures here at wesleyjubilee.wordpress.com. I can't even put on the captions after sorting out all the names of guests! Ha, ha.

I should be back soon, very soon - also telling our common friends here!

Yan

Anonymous said...

Wow, gorgeous flowers! I love tulips. I totally understand abt the crazy schedule. I feel like I am driving Lil' C all over the town everyday to her activities & trying to fit in my errands in between. I hope that Ben feels better soon.

Bkworm said...

I got to come by and smell the flowers.... :) Hey, don't worry too much - will remember you in prayer that both you and baby will be in robust health.

And of course, thanks for the award - where got excellent?? Just writing from the heart, that's all. *embarrassed*

stay-at-home mum said...

Thank you for your kind words! And Congrats on the award, you deserve it!!
I know what you mean by the crazy schedule. It gets worse when you have a sick child on hand and exams round the corner. We try to become "superhumans" which we definitely are not.
Lovely flowers you have there. Wish I had them in my garden, but never mind, I will just keep coming back here to look at them. *wink*

stay-at-home mum said...

Sorry, was interupted just now.
Hope Ben's rash is not something too serious. Do take care, and if you have to, get someone else (Vern? or a kind neighbour) to help out. Better take whatever precautions until you know it is not what they think it is. You dont want any complications - esp not with #3!! Its not something you want to be worrying about - like I did when I had Little D!! I will be praying for you!

~Ling~ said...

W0W!!! The tulips and daffodils look so pretty! Love the colours too. How nice it is to have a little garden like this. =)

B praying for God's Blessing and Grace be upon you and your family. With our Abba Father around, everything will be just fine!

Anonymous said...

dearest bp,
Hope all is well with you. Have you found out for sure whether you have been exposed to the illness?

Your flowers are lovely. I especially like the white daffodils.

And thank you so much for your thoughtfulness and bestowing such a nice award to my infrequently-updated blog! I am nowhere near you when it comes to sharing what's going on in your life! It's really sweet of you. Thanks again. :)

*hugs*

stay-at-home mum said...

Psst... Kopi soh now "blogs" under notes in facebook.

NomadicMom said...

Beautiful tulips!!! I'll love to grow some flowers in my garden, but been quite sensitive...everytime I try to do some things in the garden, my skin gets all itchy and sometimes rashes break out too.

How's your boy's rashes? Cleared?

Ratu Syura said...

Such beautiful flowers!! If only I could enjoy tulips here in Malaysia! *sigh*

Anyways, there's another award for you BP!

http://ratusyura.blogspot.com/2008/05/awards-extravaganza.html

Stardust said...

Dear bp,

What lovely pictures of Daffodils and Tulips! I love them, especially the Daffodils in the warm sunshine. I like your notion of ' pause and take a deep breath '. I think it's an element to a beautiful life. =)

Sorry to hear about Ben's cheeks, I hope that he's getting better. I know nothing about 5th Disease, sometimes, my ignorance scares me. I wonder if I can really bring up children in future!? (~~;)

You deserve the EXCELLENT award dear, I'm always encouraged and inspired at your place. What you're sharing is very real, and I think I've got much to learn from your blog. I thank God for our ' blogship' and a greater friendship to come! =D

Lastly, there's something bugging me for a long time that I wished to ask but hesitated... Do you think you can mail me at your possible free time?

JuliaTengRS@yahoo.com.sg

bp said...

Thanks everyone for your concern! Ben's rashes are clearing, and I'm waiting for my blood test results.

Sting,
Hubby's the one with the green fingers, and I know that's something I mustn't take for granted.

Jomel,
Hehe, like telepathy, hor? ;p 2nd time already!

Kopi Soh,
Me eat up kueh an drink up kopi liao! *burp*

I hope Kopitiam will re-open soon or start a "franchise"... lemme know!

As for the award image, if refreshing the page doesn't work, can you try the one on SAHM's or Stardust's posts (which I linked to in the opening para)?

SAHM,
Thanks for the tip... I must go check out the "other" Kopitiam in the meanwhile! ;p

You take care too, you have three to run after, your hands are even more full! Maybe after the exams, you can go celebrate and unwind? And hope you'll be back blogging when you can!

Yan,
Catch up with you again soon! Meanwhile, enjoy your looking back, and looking forward...

Blur mommy,
Amidst you busy schedule, do pause and take a deep breath in-between... we can all do with the "take 5", yah? =)

Bkworm,
Your writing from the heart is what touches me, and the best.

Jade,
Love your reminder that with our Abba Father, everything's in His control!

Kat,
Are you able to see the daffodil images? There are a couple of white ones.

Nomadic Mom,
Yours sounds like sensitive skin, or can it be an allergy to a particular plant? Me, if not for hubby, will only work on pots on windowsill. You probably have them indoors... they add a nice green touch =).

Ratu Syura,
It's very nice and generous of you to include me for the award! Thanks!

Stardust,
Cheers to our blogship, so nice to have met you like this! I've emailed you, and always love to hear from you! Feel free to write me, OK?

God bless y'all!!!

slavemom said...

Wow! Wat a pretty garden right in front of the hse. Don't hv to go far to the park to enjoy these beautiful sight yea.
Glad to hear that Ben's getting better. And hope ur blood test comes back -ve (for infection).
Lastly, Congrats on the award!

bp said...

Thanks, Slavemom for your well-wishes!

My boys aren't as thrilled about the flowers tho'... but coz the blooms will stay open for only so long, I try and savour them while they last!