Wednesday, March 12, 2008

In the mood for food

This isn't a particular craving...
Mar 08 v 081

... just felt like a fast food post! Not fast food as in McDonald's, but food that's quick and simple (simple enough) to make.

Like fellow moms with more on our plate besides just cooking and grocery shopping to do, these are the kinds of meals that work for me a lot.

This was our satay chicken dinner on Saturday night, with some shrimp and green beans, all cooked in the oven...
Mar 08 v 061 Mar 08 v 050

... turned lunch the next day (below), with a little tweaking...
Mar 08 v 067 Mar 08 v 091
Now burgers aren't our regular meal to eat at home, but all it took was a few minutes to fry the tomato, and omelete to beef up the chicken. And throw in some lettuce, and it makes for quite a decent midday meal. It was a hamburger bun for one boy, dinner rolls for the other (who's hardly a burger person), and the English muffin (as shown) for us the mom and dad, but all quite easily done.

And the strategy here that I rely on, besides the one-meat, one-vegetable policy, is:
To cook more for dinner, to roll over to the next day's lunch!
Increasingly, I'm applying it to not just our weekday meals, but also over the weekends now, because the time between church on Sunday and Jon's Chinese class is pretty tight to grab anything more than just nuggets and burgers.

Another night's apricot pork dinner (below, left), and lunch the next day (below, right) that this other trick of varying the meal a wee bit with a change of carbo -- macaroni in this instance, instead of rice -- is what I've managed to get by with!
Mar 08 v 101 Mar 08 vi 001
And something like this works especially well, on any of the three days Ben has school, because rice can still be quite a mess for him to eat!

Cooking is a part of my life everyday, the way it wasn't back home when I worked and had domestic help. And now, having to whip up good enough meals to satisfy my finicky eaters, I've realised some things might have been easier to cook for two. Which was where I'd left off my really rusty cooking skills before -- whatever little I had of them -- cooking for just the husband and me, but only when we didn't work late.

For two, it's easy to do a quick stir-fry of meat and/or vegetables, or pop some fish or chicken to steam, or use the rice cooker to do a claypot of sorts. Yet, there's also just so much you can fit into a skillet, wok, or rice pot.

For large quantities, with enough portions to roll over to the next day, here are two ways I use a lot for my family now:

(1) Cook a big pot of stew, braised this or that

Still, I try to wait a week at least, to cook something vaguely similar. Because somehow, my boys aren't always thrilled over such bowls of "all-in-one goodness", no matter how I vary the taste.

Beef stew, braised honey chicken, pork stew, and braised beef with star anise...

Feb 08 vi 082 Mar 08 i 012
Mar 08 i 016 Mar 08 i 006

A vegetable soup made out of meat bones, like this winter melon one, is fine as a side. But a more "substantial" kind like chicken soup, with greens I cook separately and add to it, is my preferred choice if I only have time to make the pot of goodness our main dish...
Feb 08 vi 151 Mar 08 v 009
Feb 08 vi 091 Feb 08 vi 080

(2)Place trays of different kinds of "goodness" into the oven to cook:
I especially like how direct this method is, and how much you can fit into the oven -- just marinade/season the food, and let it cook away!

Curry chicken with shrimp and lady's fingers -- all cooked in the oven, like the toufu, too, which makes for a really simple side dish...
Mar 08 i 047 Feb 08 iv 010
This curry chicken is one alternative to the different combinations and permutations you can play around with a soya-sauce based type of seasoning. This simple marinade works for us:
Curry powder, with salt and sugar, and I like to add some maple syrup or honey too, just to sweeten it, so my spice-challenged three guys won't complain there's too much heat!

Even for fish, instead of steaming it over water in a wok like I still do but with chicken, I use the oven now. As it's frozen fish I always get here, the oven allows me the option to switch it to the "broil" mode towards the end if I think the fish is somehow still "fishy"!

Alternatively, placing the fish in a foil package can seal in the moisture and liquids quite well, to simulate the usual steaming effect. Many a time, I still prefer to use a soya-sauce based seasoning and all the usual works, more than a western, herbed kind of seasoning that I alternate with now and then, for our simple baked fish...

Teriyaki salmon (with just Teriyaki sauce and lemon/lime juice), and cod fish with the usual soya sauce and whole works...
Feb 08 vi 068 Mar 08 i 025
... I like these with porridge!

And while we are already on the topic of the oven, have you also tried
Using the oven to do a "fake-it" deep fry of this and that?

Cornflake chicken, anyone?
Mar 08 iii 023 Mar 08 iii 020

Call me "suaku", but I didn't know until coming here and experimenting a bit with the oven, that it works quite well for deep-frying, minus all the oil splattering around on the stovetop that I'm not keen about.

So far, I've only done breadcrumbs for chicken (I like to season it lightly with salt and pepper, and just coat it with flour, egg, then breadcrumbs), and for fish fillet (sometimes using pineapple juice for a change to get the breadcrumbs to stick, instead of flour and egg). Think I'm going to try it with pork chop soon! Yes, in the oven!

The other day, when our storebought breadcrumbs were running low, I saw this nice recipe for Crunchy Onion Chicken on Blur Mommy's Kooky Culinary blog. I don't have the French Fried Onion that the recipe calls for, but her alternative of cornflakes was what worked for me. And no problem either, with adapting it to chicken thighs and drumsticks.

After that, I chanced on a similar recipe in a food magazine at the library -- to coat cod fish fillet, cut into bitesize, with cornflakes, after seasoning it with some oil, salt, and pepper! And like the chicken, you just have to leave it in the oven to bake at 400C, till it's cooked.

Want to give these a try? My boys are more used to the breadcrumbs version, than cornflakes, but it's certainly another way to vary my cooking options!

Nothing like homecooked food...
Straightforward ways such as these, work well for us, and particularly on days when I have to do more shuttling between home and school to fetch the kids, with or without any errands thrown in-between. Maybe I'll do a separate, shorter post another time, on those 'shortcut' bowls of the noodles and pasta kind, that are what I rely on for lunch when for some reason the extras from dinner doesn't exist, or doesn't work so well, and I have to come up with something fast.

For now, I know Jomel will agree -- food, homecooked food no matter how simple it is, can be so comforting, don't you think?

And the COMFORT of all comfort foods, and in the absence of delicious homebaked goods for snacktime or dessert (that are harder for me to find time to make, and even then, it's nothing complicated), there's always...

ICECREAM AND FRUITS to wrap up a homecooked meal! YUM!!!

Yes, even in the dead of winter, and we can eat this every day... just vary the flavour of the icecream and fruit! Of course, yogurt with fruit makes for a healthier option, but ask our boys, and they will pick icecream, for sure!

Have a yummylicious rest of the week now! God bless!

11 comments:

Jo said...

Jomel AGREES, wholeheartedly!

Wow, believe it or not, I have hunger pangs right now, thanks to all your tantalizing food pics! urrg!!

Love the burger lunch idea! I will try to incorporate that into the kiddies' lunch since it's almost always porridge and meehoon and noodles *yawns*

Talking about breadcrumbs coated meat, I was thinking of making some nuggets tomorrow using chicken breast. If I leave it to the maid, it will be either of the above *yawns*

You know, strangely, it was that bowl of macaroni that is making me hungry now!

Hey I tried this one pot dish that's really great! It's basically lightly fried Jap tofu or any other tofu. First you stir fry some chopped garlic and a few pieces of sliced ginger, add marinated chicken pieces or minced pork or/and shrimps (all three together would be extra yummy), then the veges such as snow peas, baby corn, chinese cabbage, chinese mushrooms, carrots, spring onion. Just add oyster sauce, soy sauce to taste and cornstarch to thicken. VERY YUMMY and simple!

stay-at-home mum said...

Your pics have made me hungry and greedy again!

Yes, cooking more sure helps. I used to do it when I lived in NY, turning dinner into lunch. Memories!

Looking at the veg you have cooked, your boys are such good boys. Mine will eat only leaves - no ladies fingers, no beans, not even peas!

Bkworm said...

aargh....makes me feel guilty coz I am such a lousy cook. Wonder how Papa Bkworm and Lil' Bkworm put up with me. Sigh! Yours look absolutely yummy :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that burger is calling my name! Looks yummy! I play around with that chicken recipe too using whatever I have on hand. It's just so easy. Love all ur dishes.

tasy said...

Hi.

I share your sentiments on those "creative" cooking methods. Somehow, after being cooks for the whole family, we would manage to create something out of nothing to ensure the whole family's stomach is looked after properly, no matter how little time we have to prepare them or how lazy we are.

Thanks for linking me in your blogroll, I'm honored.

Mommy Lose Weight said...

ur photos made me drool~~~~

I do not know how to cook and the food makes me hungry now! :)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, I do that too. Cook a little more for dinner and then the leftovers, heat them up for lunch. That's a lazy mom for you!

NomadicMom said...

I use cornflakes to coat too. I vary between cornflakes, breadcrumbs and marie biscuit crumbs. Sometimes, there are broken bits of crackers that the boys bring back (they bring to school but did not eat them. They end up all smashed up in their bag but still in the packaging) and I use that to coat too.

Anonymous said...

Hey BP. Still owe you some photos! Will get some out to you next week when I'm a bit freer, ok?

I too utilise my oven to the max! Bake, braise, roast, grill!! I only don't cook vege in the oven. I still prefer to stirfry! :)

Sondra said...

OH am I DROOLING ovah that BURGER! MMMMMMMMM! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

bp said...

Thanks all for your kind comments! Sorry I didn't get to respond earlier.

Jomel -- I have to try that 3-in-1 meat combo... plus you know I love oyster sauce with just about everything! =)

SAHM - Oh, better qualify that my boys also will not eat lady's fingers, and they pick out not just the green peas but also the carrots from those frozen mixed veggie that I sometimes use. No-no to salad, no tomatoes either, and beans only sometimes!

Seems like kids have a lot of common things they think they are "allergic" to! Haha!

Bkworm,
I'm sure your homecooked food is really nice, and Papa Bkworm and Lil Bkworm appreciate your efforts!

Blur Mommy,
Hehe... come, take a big bite of that burger now! Open your mouth wide...

Gargies,
It's my pleasure to link you! And yes, like you said, we just have to try and be creative, although my definition of "creative" may just a bit of tweaking here and there. Simple ways always works for me! And it's whatever works, whatever the family will eat, yah?

Ling,
Thanks. Now with more time at home, you can get creative in the kitchen! =)

Tot's Mom,
Hey, don't say that, otherwise I am a very lazy mom =(. How about just think of it as killing two birds (dinner and lunch) with one big pot? ;p

Nomadic Mom,
Thanks for bringing it up! I forgot all about Marie biscuits! Aw, now I'm thinking of the pork chop my aunt used to make with them!

Kat,
Know what you mean about roasting veggies. And I usually do that only with the frozen kind. I like stir-fry, too, but on crazy days, sometimes steaming or blanching are what I get by with, so I'm not taking too long in the kitchen!

Sandi,
Hi, hi! Always good to hear from you! I'll make one for you! =)