
It's been snowing hard, like a heavy downpour, since before sunrise. What a sharp contrast to the lovely "T-shirt weather" on Sunday, that was but just a sneak peek of warmer things to come... later! For now, it's still very much winter, and officially so for the next 17 days.
And this snowfall, coming so close after temperatures plunged back to below freezing yesterday, is probably the biggest one we've seen while here. And I was wrong to have thought there wasn't going to be any significant accumulation before the season ends.Vern is on campus, the boys with me at home. They want to go outside and play, but no way with how the white bits are being swirled all about, the winds must be blustery, too! And no, not while the snow is beating down so incessantly, and relentlessly! But you understand why schools have declared a Snow Day, because it's still better to stay indoors.
By the time the snow peters out, around evening as the forecast predicts, the accumulation will be between six and as much as 10 inches! Tomorrow, hopefully, the weather will be OK enough to give the boys some time outside after school.
What else is bizarre...
If you think this drastic weather change is strange, separately, in other news, the third and last part of a newspaper story about fugitives "free to flee", made headlines today. The reporters' findings revealed that suspects fleeing St Louis can pass police checks elsewhere because authorities didn't issue warrants for their arrest!
It's just a coincidence that I'm reading this here, while the mad manhunt is going on in Singapore for JI fugitive Mas Selamat. But how odd is what the investigation by the St Louis Post-Dispatch (the major newspaper here) found? That, "St Louis is one of the few major metro areas in the nation that rountinely decline to issue arrest warants for fugitives. Of all the cases of St Louis suspects sought for felonies, a third(!) lack warrants."
In other words, police elsewhere don't know when they've stumbled on one of these fugitives, for the very reason that without warrants, their names are not allowed in a database police check nationwide. And even if police find out they are suspects, the arrest can't go through without warrants.
Should it come as no surprise then, that the St Louis city is infamous for having the second highest crime rate in the country? This, besides that its weather swings from one extreme to another! I'll never forget the "joke" (or more like, well-meaning advice?) told to us by the locals, when we first got here:
Don't like the weather? Wait a day or two... erm, no, just hang around for an hour or more!
I hope the Singapore authorities find their fugitive soon! Our home country is after all still one of the safest in the world (yes? no?).

5 comments:
Oh oh! I hope Mas Selamat is not reading your blog or he will be heading to St Louis!
The weather nowadays is real freaky eh?
We had many many hot days during the CNY period, and rainstorms the past few days! I thot the rainy season was over!!
Wow! A very snowy day indeed from the pic. Must be freezing, huh?
Hi hi! Something is wrong as I have been having trouble opening my gmail. Sometimes can, sometimes cannot. Sometimes open already, but cannot send out mail!
Will send out the recipes once I figure out what is wrong!
this brings me back to my Uni days... I have tried the Scottish weather, so I understand perfectly what you are going through over there! hahah..
I am surprised to learn that the crime rate there is so high! Do you guys feel safe there though?
SAHM,
Phew! Good thing my blog traffic is always an all time low ;p
Early Apr rains? Rains are great... only to sleep in! =)
Tot's mom,
It's around freezing, just below freezing, so it's still better than other days when the temp really dips to below -10C. That's when the cold really gets to me, and I'll wish the sun would come out, really come out!
Any more snow, big snowstorm over your end? It's more than I expected here for one season.
Kat,
In case your email is still not quite working properly, I just like you to know how much I appreciate your offering to send me more recipes. But I feel bad to trouble you like this, so I will ask my family to look up the book with the info you've already given me. Many thanks again for your help. So touched by your kindness! *Hug*
Jomel,
I guess when it comes to safety, Singapore's still one of the safest. There are some shady parts here that we know to steer away, and I hardly ever drive to the city on my own. Outside of the city, it seems a lot better, and anyway, we always just go back to the same few places ;p
Post a Comment