Monday, February 11, 2008

A pot of goodness

I'm talking about steamboat, of course! =)

Feb 08 iii 079 Feb 08 iii 053

A favourite to eat during Chinese New Year, it's not necessarily as simple as it looks, because the more "goodness" you add to your steamboat, the more work it is -- preparing the different ingredients, and washing up afterwards!

And I do miss, and appreciate, the labour of love from my MIL and stepmom, when quite the spread they would prepare for the reunion dinner that we had back home -- at my MIL's on the eve, and days before the eve at my dad's (only way for us to be at two places). Steamboat it was at our place back home, too, before Jon came long, when it was our loved ones' turn to come knock on our door before the 15 days were up!

Feb 08 iii 077 Feb 08 iii 095

For what a tradition it is, steamboat would also have been nice to do for our reunion dinner, had the eve not fallen on a schoolnight. Finally, we did have a good enough one on Friday night , when there was no school the next day. Not exactly a spread, but flavourful soup like this -- the more ingredients, the richer and sweeter the stock becomes -- is always what Ben and Jon will eat! And oh yes, there were "long, long noodles" (vermicelli) as part of the pot of goodness, too!

Feb 08 iii 082 Feb 08 iii 091

But owning up...
Feb 08 iii 093

Ours wasn't made true to what steamboat really should be -- where everyone would huddle over a stewing pot, and be cooking all at the same time! Because too many cooks spoil the broth, and more because ours was cooked over an inexpensive electric burner acquired at a sale recently, it worked OK, not great, I ended up cooking most of it on our kitchen stovetop instead! Haha! Whatever works!

We are looking forward to the real thing this weekend, when we come together at a friend's place for a steamboat-cum-potluck. And she has all the neat steamboat ware, that might have been from another part of the States, because the few I've seen here are really old-fashioned. And I do mean archaic... will you fork out US$80 for a 1970's model? Think not your Cocoa steamboat, but the kind used in the back alleys of Geylang, back in those days when you could still eat there... I have a vague memory of that...!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh yum! What a spread! :-)
I miss steamboats...

bp said...

Hi Derek,
Are you and your friends meeting up to pig out before the 15 days are up? I like how you all improvised with the rice cooker last year! =)

Anonymous said...

I do love steamboat. It is simple yet nutritious, scrumptious and most of all, the chats that happens while waiting for the food to cook.

You make me feel like having steamboat now. :)

stay-at-home mum said...

Looks like a really delicious spread, you have got there! I love the broth after everything has been cooked. Yum!

Maybe you can pick a modern steamboat up the next time you are back. i have one that doubles as a grill, and the kids just love it! It is relatively inexpensive.

Yan said...

My steamboat days began in Singapore to be exact. Remembering those days of "eat-all-you-can steamboat" with my mum and brothers!

Good food, good memories!

Jo said...

I suddenly have a "craving" to go buy some neat steamboat ware plus the cooker, and have a nice steamboat dinner at home!! Maybe I will do just that.. woah.. gonna be more broke than ever!

bp said...

Judy,
Know what you mean, steamboat is extra fun when you come together in a group to eat, chat, and eat some more!

SAHM,
Thanks, I also especially like the broth that way! Your two-in-one is great ... can also have Korean BBQ at the same time! I know, so many more choices and modern models back home! But the different voltage here, there are very few electrical appliances we brought over to use with adaptors.

Yan,
Haha! I have good memories of that too... the all-you-can-eat... that's when it is a spread we can't say no too! Used to meet up with friends in Marine Square for such pig-outs.

Jomel,
Haha! Don't buy a too expensive one, OK? But besides for CNY, you can always have steamboat on a day when you let the others all help you cook instead? Good idea, no? =)

Anonymous said...

Steamboats are great during those winter months. It's quite popular in Hong Kong when it gets cold.

Yan said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours, bp.

bp said...

Tot's mom,
I can imagine it must be quite the spread. Aw, how I miss so many more things -- from fresher seafood to "yongtaufoo" -- that work for us back home to put in the steamboat, but is not available here! And you know how we will eat soup like this, any time of the year, all year round, never mind it's always sunny in S'pore =). (Erm, I think the winter cold is getting to me);p

Yan,
Happy Valentine's to you and yours =) Enjoy your day, and why you're special!