

Seriously now...
While you're tucking into your sumptuous, scrumptious (may be more than one!) reunion dinner, things are quieter on our end. We aren't gathering with friends here till later next week, but the very sweet gestures and well-wishes from those we love and care across the miles, let us enjoy a slice of the festive mood back home (and especially the yummy goodies that can't be bought here)! And it warms our hearts, and we want to also be celebrating the occasion, never mind if it's pared down or just not quite the same in a home away from home, and be eating, and cooking, too!
Here's wishing everyone reading this a very Happy Lunar New Year!
Gong Xi Fa Cai! Wan Shi Ru Yi! Prosperity and abundance to you and yours, and success too, in all your endeavours!
On our own, trying to add a little homemade touch, and borrowing creative Priscilla's lantern idea in her "It isn't Chinese New Year without..." post, Jon and Ben had a bit of fun there...

As you can see, we didn't get very far, but it's the spirit that matters!


For our reunion dinner, it was just us, and a regular schoolday at that (and quite a crazy evening). Now, I didn't cook up a storm, still, did make sure there was some of our favourite food...
It would have been napa soup, now saved for another meal, if not for these unusually leafy watercress I couldn't resist getting from the Asian supermarket, and had waited a long time for them! They are wonderful to make soup with (or salad, but I prefer them in soup), and if you don't cook them till all shrivelled, it makes for a yummy soup for fishballs, everyone's favourite fishballs! Fish for "Nian Nian You You", but of course =).

And in order that there was the soup, I used the stock from this chicken, a very mild drunken version, that we ate with a simple soya sauce dip cooked with some oil...

Then, for the ausipicious red (actually, it just happened to be that way, because I always like some colour in our food), besides that it's also a favourite with the boys, prawns were my choice for how easy and quick they cooked!

That's all, and while there wasn't a particular favourite for Vern, who also enjoyed the watercress soup and bouncy Do Do fishballs as much as I did, there was indeed some braised pork I made for him the day before, though not with the classic hairy black moss, but black fungus as substitute. Tell me that counts, and it must help that we had them with long, long glass noodles -- shown here with iceberg lettuce for a decent, complete meal!
Of course, if you ask Ben and Jon what they like best about our simple reuninon dinner, they are unanimous in their pick! DESSERT, done my father (Gong Gong)'s style!

Haha, but who can say "no" to a sweet treat like this?
Just to qualify, I'm not that particular about the 'must-haves' for this (what must be the) most important meal of the year, always just happy when the kids and husband have their fill. If you are, Tot's mom does have some interesting information about what food symoblizes what, in her Chinese New Year Reunion Dinner post!

9 comments:
Rach and Chris love your gong gong's style desserts! The longans! It's also our desserts for any feast.
We love the "iced-fruits" in the hawkers' centre. There is only one piece of longan in each serving. Mum never gets to eat that one and only one. The two children will snatch it once I find the treasure! Whoever is faster, get it! No favouritism. :)
Funny, we have never said that before "Happy New Year! Pull Your Ear?"
Very happy that you have made such a hearty reunion meal for yourself and your loved ones!
Hahaha, pull your ears. Mmm, I have not heard that for yonks!
Wow, your dishes are mouth watering.
Your boys seem to enjoy all the food each time I see the photos. Those smiles again! :)
Thanks for the mention of my post. Actually, I'm not too particular either of what to eat during CNY. But it's just interesting when you go to the Chinese restaurant at this time of the year and they have all sorts of nice names for all those must-have dishes.
hahaha! I laughed looking at your dessert, because that was what I bought with the intention of serving after the dinner. But you know what we had in the end. Just could not keep it "traditional" to the end! :D
You know, I cook that watercress & fishball soup Very often too. I boiled some chicken bones/feet first for the stock. Very yummy.
Black fungus counts. Anything counts as long as it's cooked with love! ;)
Even though you are not really bothered about the symbolisation, you have everything in there, fish (balls), prawns, meat, "tong-fen" (glass noodles). Perfect already! :)
Gong xi gong xi!
Pretty quiet here too...H only gets back tmrw. Guessed we'll only have our reunion/cny dinner tomorrow nite.
BTW, we also buy the DO DO fishballs here. The local frozen ones somehow taste doughy.
hey hey Happy New Year to you and your family! I love your food photos! How nice to have steamboat right haha it's my favorite, esp fishballs but I like the extra BIG ones from the wet market! They are real yummy!
Yan,Jomel,
My favourite's also the longans, but like Yan's children, our boys end up eating them all, all the time! Jomel, I saw your reunion dinner post after I wrote mine, and then realized we both ended talking about dessert... and the sweetness for all year round, as you said, I like that! =)
Judy,
Thanks, at least you remember that one about "pulling your ear"!
Tot's mom,
Glad to do that, and I always like the info you post on your blog.
Nomadic Mom,
Have a wonderful reunion with your guy and two boys! Three cheers for Do Do!!!
Charlene,
Thanks, I'm very much a soup person, and you can guess fishball is top on my list also (easier way out than cooking the complete fish or the usual frozen fillet... it's hard to get nice, fresh seafood to cook myself here tho').
Hi BP,
Happy New Year!! Xin Nian Kuai Le!!!
Wow, what a spread you prepared! Yes, three cheers for DoDo ... I've since gotten a few more ideas from you about how to / what to cook them with now. We love them too. Oh! I'm so envious that you have pineapple tarts and Bak Kwa to enjoy! I miss the pineapple tarts so much .... and haven't found an easy enough good recipe for it that I can make on my own here. Thankfully, my husband makes pretty good Bak Kwa, but I didn't want him to have to be outside using the grill in the winter!
I wish we could have made CNY a little more festive this year (altho I did make Almond Jello with canned Longans & Lychees). My younger son is down with Hand Foot and Mouth disease, so this week has been tiring for us. On top of that, I've been up to my eyeballs at work to meet a deadline that just passed yesterday! We are so looking forward to the weekend!! We're planning on going out to eat some good Chinese food tonight to celebrate (late reunion dinner, I guess).
Its funny how you made those paper lanterns with your boys too. I made some with K (my older) and prepared a bunch of supplies to bring them to his class to make with his classmates this afternoon as it is our family's turn for "Family Week" (his school's version of show & tell involving the entire family). We also prepared some Gold Chocoloate Coin-filled Ang Pows and Mini-Kum (Clementines) to share with his friends in addition to a Chinese New Year book we'll read together.
Thanks for your kind words in your last blog entry. I'm so glad to have found you here too. Unfortunately, I don't have a blog ... I'm not much of a writer / journal-er, and honestly really haven't much free time with working part-time and caring for 2 kids under 4! Thanks for letting me share in your journey through your blog, though. I am often encouraged my your words. My email address is werncf@hotmail.com if you ever want to email me directly.
Have a great weekend and enjoy the rest of the 14 days of CNY!
-fay
Fay,
What a week this must have been for you! Hope your little boy is better. Eating out is always a great way to de-stress, and with CNY, extra reason to celebrate, besides that you finished your project! Yay!
Wow, your husband grills your own Bak Kwa... it must be extra yummy! How do you marinade the pork? The Lim Chee Guan one in our picture and the pineapple tarts are a rare treat, courtesy of an old friend back home who sent them over. How we miss such goodies, and I also think it's a lot of work to mark the tarts!
Your well-thought out crafts, goodies, and story for the school's Family Week are so meaningful, and surely enjoyed by all!
Have a good time with your family over dinner (isn't it wonderful there are 15 days?), and you must be exhausted. Have a restful weekend now! I'm always amazed at how overseas moms juggle work and young kids, and the cooking and chores, you are doing absolutely great! May the joy of the Lord be our strength! =)
Post a Comment