
You may be familiar with similar recipes that use coconut and pineapple, two products that Hawaii is famous for, hence, the name of this cake.
We got to try this particular recipe from a magazine, earlier this month. It worked for me because we already had all the ingredients in our fridge/pantry, save for the cream cheese to make the frosting. And yes, also because this is another one of those easy bakes -- the kind I like to get my boys to help me with, where you just need to stir everything together with a wooden spoon, in a mixing bowl!
However, I assumed the butter called for in the recipe was for the cakemix, when it was for the frosting actually. I'd dumped the butter into the mixing bowl, together with all the rest of the ingredients, and let Ben, always my able helper, stir away merrily!
The cake was already in the oven, by the time I discovered that slipup, and was wondering if I should still go on to make the frosting, and just remove the butter component, and it should still work (yes?).
Eventually, I decided to do without the frosting, when the cake, though it turned out a tad buttery, was nice enough for us! Jon especailly liked his with icecream, and didn't mind the cococunt in the cake one bit, probably because it was quite nicely melded with the butter.
Our "accidental" version with the butter in the cakemix, minus the cream cheese frosting, tasted a bit like the St Louis butter gooey cake. We may just bake this buttery version again!
Meanwhile, here's a slice...
Recipe for Hawaiian Wedding Cake
Source: Family Circle magazine
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, with juice, undrained
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped,
plus more to garnish (optional)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 325 deg. Coat a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix first seven ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined and all ingredients are moist.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Bake at 325 deg for 35 to 40 min (it took slightly longer in our oven), or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- For frosting: in a bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smotth. Frost cooled cake with the cream cheese mixture. Garnish edges with chopped walnuts, if desired.

5 comments:
Never heard of Hawaiian wedding cake but can't wait to see the recipe. It must be very nice from the photo of your son's face. :)
Judy,
Here you go. Maybe you know this cake by some other fancy name?
Actually, one son took the cake better than the other... and that face in that first picture (that's the one you're referring to?)... it was from eating some ikan bilis I just stumbled on at the Chinese grocery store! Hehe!
So with the accidental BUTTER is better? Might wanna try this cake!
This looks yummy! Sometimes the best food happens by accident, ya? When I lived in Arkansas, I ate gooey cake b4. Wonder if it's the same as the St Louis one? But I know it has cream cheese & coconut in it. I will have to try this out! :)
Nomadic Mom, Blur Mommy,
Hehe! But a bit less work for me when the buttery version worked for us. And...
Nomadic Mom,
If you like frosting, try the original version. Or if you aren't sure, why not do half-half? i.e. for half the cakemix, stir in half the butter; the other half of the cakemix, use the remaining half of the butter and half of the other ingredients called for the frosting.
Maybe that'll work for you? Let me know which you like better! =)
Post a Comment