Monday, October 29, 2007

Facebook vs Blog vs Email

May I see from a show of comments, how many of you are on Facebook? Are you hooked?

My curiosity got the better of me, and a few days after a younger friend accidentally invited me to join, I signed up, just to see what the hype was all about! But among those who included networks in their profile, I've only found from my same university cohort, two I know, and two others from my workplace back home. A few others I looked up, I knew them slightly better.

Pardon my ignorance, and I'm really new to Facebook, but amidst all the "poke"-ing and "superpoke"-ing, and kind exchange of "gifts", and some writing on "fun walls" here and there, does any actual talking go on, the way conversations do get carried out over MSN, Yahoo, and Skype? For the couple of people I contacted on Facebook, I ended up using the "Message" function to email them, and keep our conversations to ourselves.

I've quoted Shakespeare on brevity before, and my background and job back home have more than taught me that getting to the point, and being succinct, are what increase readability on any platform. Is Facebook all about this -- keeping in touch, yet keeping it to brief moments, albeit as many brief moments of contact as you like to make, in a day? And the more, the merrier?

No doubt, I think it's really nice when someone is thinking of me in such a way. And another friend -- she's younger also, has invited me to join, too, not knowing I'd signed up using a different email address from my old one that she knew me by.

But perhaps because I'm old school, and old-er than most Facebook users, I still prefer long emails, like you can see I have a penchant for long blog-posts, too! In fact, I have many half-written emails and blog-posts, that I was interrupted midway -- some I went back to, others I had to cut short or abandon entirely. Simply because I always have so much to write, but so little time!

I was sad when an old friend told me she stopped emailing me, when she would rather get the latest updates from my blog. I became guilty of that too, when she subsequently started her own blog!

I wonder if Facebook is one day going to replace blogs. I hope not, for besides writing long emails and long blog-posts, I always enjoy receiving long emails in my mailbox, or reading your long blog-posts! So, don't stop yakking, or writing, OK?

I know though, that my long-windedness doesn't always go down well with every one. My own husband, whom I just praised one blog-post ago, had me arguing with him just minutes ago, over a technicality. My providing one sentence too much of information, in a simple email I sent out, that was a request for information.

I guess, just like when I don't always get replies to my long emails, it all boils down to a difference in styles. For example, Vern's (usually) is a matter-of-fact one (read:direct or unemotional; straightforward; down-to-earth -- as defined by Dictionary.com). Whereas I like to be as personal as I can, and offer whatever information I already have on my end. Of course, doing so isn't always to my own advantage, as I've discovered all through life. But I never seem to grow up, or out of doing that. It's just me, like it or not.

So while I see that Facebook can help me put faces to long-lost friends (provided they are signed up), I hope it won't do away with the good old-fashioned way of communicating (talk, talk, talk; talk some more!), even in this fast-paced world! Already, it takes so much for us -- because not a single person isn't caught up with his or her own life -- to try and keep in touch on a personal basis.

Good thing I only know that one peer who blogs, and neither she nor the few others who still email me are on Facebook (yet), so I don't have much of an excuse not to email them, too!

15 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

Have been invited to facebook but have not even visited it! No time!!

Anonymous said...

I have a lot of funny emails to read, I have to blog everyday, I have no time for facebook although I have an account on it.. :(

I have to do all those stuffs within 2 hours everyday.. I need more time.. :)

Bkworm said...

this old mama bkworm here also uses facebook. LOL!!

NomadicMom said...

I've joined facebook but have not really explored what it does lah..

bp said...

SAHM,Keeyit,
Same here...we can all do with more time.

SAHM,
But probably the only way for you to check out Facebook's features, is if you sign up. And that's why I did, but only out of curiosity. But you won't catch me there, because... no time! And "lao liao"! Hehe!

Bkworm,
Wow! Tell us more! Are you addicted to Facebook?

Nomadic Mom,
If and when you do, tell us more!

Anonymous said...

Quite a lot of bloggers are on Facebook. I am hooked on Scrabulous, a game on Facebook. Most of the people I play Scrabulous with are bloggers and my niece and nephews. :)

Through Facebook, I manage to keep in touch with my cousins and many old church friends whom we've lost contact.

Bloggers keep in touch on a more personal basis through Facebook but I also email them if there is a more personal topic to share.

So, I suppose at the end of the day, each one has its own purpose. Facebook will never replace emails but only for those who have never been keen in writing stick to Facebook. The way I see it, if not for Facebook, we will never hear from people who are poor writers or procrastinators.

Anonymous said...

I am "in" the facebook too.

I still keep my emails going and blog updated.

Facebook is meant for social networking, I guess. Of course, you have some good friends there, where you poke, you hug, you send some visual flowers, cookies and is good feeling. I have some casual friends in my facebook, after adding them as "friends", when we see face-to-face, it seems we are getting closer!

Yan
yantouch.wordpress.com
(hopped over from bkworm)

bp said...

Dear Judy, and Hi Yan!
Thanks for sharing how you're enjoying Facebook, and it must surely have brought lots of old and new friends together.

So with Facebook, blogs, emails, Skype, etc... so many different platforms to choose from -- and something for everyone, we don't really have a good excuse not be keeping in touch in friends (including those who don't like to write), yah? ;p

Anonymous said...

Wasn't a FB addict till 2 months ago.

I guess it's a fun way to keep in contact with many overseas friends - you get updates on what they get up to! You get to compare movie tastes, likes/dislikes, play games, buy them drinks, use the force on them... ;p

It's not a true substitute for blogs I think. You have to like to write somewhat to start a blog. So people who just like the fast and easy FB are probably not going to blog anyway...

KopiSoh said...

Thanks for this post, i reli needed the info. Oni hear that facebook lotsa fun but no clue about what it akcerli is.

bp said...

Derek,
I haven't got round to exploring these cool features, other than what's been "thrown" my way (in a nice way)! Dunno if I will, but hmm... maybe I should invite my friends who don't like to write, to join FB? Hehe!

Firehorse,
Maybe you should just sign up to really check it out yourself, as mine isn't a good full picture of it!

And you know what.. Judy found this neat Kopi Tiam and you can use it to send yummy food to all of us, your hawkers (but only if we are on FB, and if we know each other by our names).

Lucian Teo said...

facebook's draw is the social linking, but I doubt it'll ever take over blogs. The scary thing about facebook is that they know all your friends. Don't need them knowing what I email my friends about.

bp said...

Lucian,

Yes, the networking bit, that I'm not good at, but I'm not sure if Facebook is where I want to start given how transparent everthing is, as you say. I think we can choose to hide things we want to keep more private, but that'll defeat the whole purpose of FB. And I'm definitely not utilizing its features when I'm only using its Message Box to type my longwinded emails still! Haha!

Glad to know diehard bloggers,and that'd include you (!), will still keep on blogging =)

Charlene Teo said...

Hey BP, I'm in Facebook! But I can't keep up with the stuff over there. I must be getting old I guess LOL!!

bp said...

Yo, Charlene!

I should look you up one of these days! But I certainly can't keep up either, because even more so than you... I'm lao liao! Hehe!