And while it's still easier for me, than with a newborn afterwards, to show her around a bit before she'll head back home in a couple of weeks, we took her shopping! The one thing Singaporean gals can't say no to!At first, it was just Ben and me, whilst Jon was at a chess programme in school. Then, all of us, even though kids, and especially my boys, aren't the most patient shoppers.
Still, I think walking the mall helped some to get their aunt out of her jet lag. And while we were at it, and before the high heat index is now making her feel under the weather, it was the Gateway Arch that we couldn't not let her must-see here in St Louis! Vern is right, shouldn't sightseeing come before shopping?Left: A kind stranger lay his back on the ground, just so he could capture the top of the Arch, in this group shot he helped us take!
Yesterday, I also gave my sister a crash course on some simple meals -- mostly the noodle soup kind -- that she can fix for the boys while I am in the hospital. It's been awhile since she's cooked. But she'll do fine, I know!
And I'm just relieved, now that she's here and the baby not arrived yet, she can be the one to babysit the boys when it's time for Vern to lend me all the support I need in the delivery room!
That has been a big worry of mine, as it'll be such a huge imposition on friends if we have to call them in the middle of the night should labour strike at an odd time of the day. We were contemplating packing the boys off with us, to go along to the hospital!
To digress a little, in response to queries on what I cook on a daily basis (and because I don't know when I'll blog my next post), here's what I served up for our dinner these last few days.....




And as you can see, cooking a different protein each day is the trick behind my simple meal-planning. If not meat, then fish... like yesterday, I did a simple baked tilapia with winter melon soup to go along (not photoed). And today, we're back to chicken again, my all-time favourite meat to cook, for how versatile it is, and usually goes down best with the kids! Not that they eat everything I dish out though.


This is the first time I'm seeing my sis again after coming here...
And she is also seeing me as the at-home mom that I am for four years now. My hands full with the chores and children, and the driving here and there that wasn't quite up my alley last time. No longer am I the working mom I'd left off as, with domestic help back home and loved ones living near enough we could rely on whenever we needed a hand.

This is the key challenge - the trying to "baokahliao" (take care of everything) between the husband and wife -- in a home away from home. I never said it's easy, and it's true I'm perpetually on my feet (still am!) until the kids fall asleep, and there will still be stuff around the house, like in most homes, that need attention.
But if you see how hard it is for the husband to get his schoolwork done once home, or ask any family in our shoes, as the wife you will also want to get as much of the housework and errands done as possible.
I may have gained some independence as a result of coming here, and through practice, got a better hang of things I either had help doing or didn't need to do before. And not that I'm on top of them, there's still plenty of room for improvement, like the more organized home that eludes me, and kids we want to see better behaved. There's always much to do, more I'd like to do, but so little time!
After my sis goes off, my MIL will also be coming. Now I appreciate it very much that they are putting aside their own commitments to help us transit into this next phase of our lives. At the same time, I feel bad they are coming all the way here, yet I can't be all the host I like, not to have to bother them with the daily grind.
That's the reason why I've been hoping that the lil one will come sooner rather than later, so that prayerfully, I won't be "out of commission" for too long, but be able to quickly get back into the swing of things. Because there's going to be even more to take care of, and the husband's schedule not getting any lighter.
Will you pray with me, please, that we will be able to cope nicely? Thanks so much!
OK, that's the latest longwinded update from me, in lieu of shorter, more regular posts that I should be doing if I were more blog-savvy, hehe! But better a post, than none, no? ;p
A blessed week ahead, to one and all reading this! =)

13 comments:
Glad to know that your sis has arrived and isn't it great that your MIL will be coming too after that? You need all the help after the baby is here. As I read about your dinner, I have a feeling that you are secretly trying to guide me. Thanks! All of them looked good! My prayers are with you .... Take good care!
Ping Ping
So happy that your sister has arrived. Again, a very heartwarming one that brought some memories when I had Rachel in Singapore. My sister also came along! And now she has four of her own!
Yes, will pray for you - His provisions, His protection, His wisdom, and all that you and your family would need! He knows. He provides a bountiful fruit basket of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control - be assured. I have seen much of all these blessings in your basket!
thanks for updating us despite being so busy BP! I really appreciate your attempt to stay connected.
You are indeed blessed to have your sister there with you and later your mil. I am sure you would agree with me that an extra pair of hands is something that you would really need in the early days postpartum.
You are definitely in my prayers. I am confident that with them around you, and with your built-up confidence and independence, you will cope just fine.
Do update us once you can. I look forward greatly to seeing the photo of your new addition.. :) You have all our emotional support here BP.
Oh.. I guess she must be your younger sis. She has that air of "carefree-ness" about her. hahaha... ;)
See how time flies....it seems just like yesterday that you announced your pregnancy and now baby is about due! Glad that you have your sister over there to help you out :)
I know God will take watch over you and also your boys. Things will just fall in place, don't u worry now. Will definitely keep you in prayer. :)
Ping, Yan, Jomel, Huang Tai,
Much thanks for your emotional and prayer support!!! You all have a great week now, and catch you whenever I can! *Hugs*
Darling, yes, I'm remembering you and your family in my prayers every now and then. Hugs... That floral wishing posted with blessings to a mom of new babe - that's you. Wink* Know that if a friend cares, the Lord cares more and surely, He'll be there for every single one of you. I pray too that your helping sis and MIL too will be greater help than you can ask for. =) And here we are, in quiet anticipation, we're waiting for your new post on your new joy and it's like waiting for a celebration. =) Hugs... God bless...
Counting down for you! Maybe it will be a National day baby!!
So glad that you will have family to help out during the confinement. Dont feel bad coz thats what family members are for.
Praying for a safe and speedy delivery, and a healthy bundle of joy for you!!
Take care!.
It's great that ur sis n MIL will be there to help out. Must hv been so good seeing n cathing up with ur sis (I'm guessing younger sis too). Oh, here's wishing her a speedy recovery!
U take it ez ya... I know one can't help but worry abt a thousand n 1 things, but believe in urself n ur loving supportive family. U'll cope just fine. Hope to c ur bb girl soon. *hugz*
WOW!! One more week! Good that you sis is here to help out. At least you can be rest-assured that kids will be well-taken care of when you go into labour.
Happy Delivery!!!
You sure about her cooking yah? She claim she can make killer fried rice. Anyway, our best of wishes for the D(elivery) Day!
Stardust, SAHM, Slavemom, Nomadic Mom, Sirennights,
Thanks v much for your well-wishes and encouraging words!
Oh, and Jomel and Slavemom,
My sis will be happy to hear that you think she's the younger one! LOL! ;p
All the best and I am sure you will come through beautifuly, and say hello to sis for me, and if she wants to help me out in Jan, she will be most welcomed, given recent on the ground experience with you!! :)
Looking forward to seeing baby pics!!!
Oh and thanks for your words of encouragement! mothers ought to support one another!
Thanks Baby En, and you take good care of yourself also =)
Post a Comment