Thursday, August 28, 2008

Adjusting... and family matters

Parenting is a lesson in adjusting
... comes the reminder from a parenting newsletter, to my in-box this week, as Kaitlyn turns 2 weeks old yesterday. And it adds, too, "...don't get too comfortable; your baby will continue to surprise you with new developments and changes to keep you on your toes."

Now what it didn't say, to second- or third-time parents like me, is that besides the baby, the older children are also the ones to keep us on our toes!

Kaitlyn is our third child, yes, and some things (about babies) we've been through before with Jon and Ben. Like the "nocturnal" phase, that we just have to bear with it for awhile more, but yes, I'm pooped!

Things around the house are also more routine, like, cooking and doing laundry, these being lighter chores I've gone back to do as soon as I could, and where we can cut corners, we do, if not put on hold. Bringing home baby, we've been blessed, too, by families from our church who provided us with a week of dinner, under a service to help parents with newborns adjust to the new routines.

The biggest challenge is, how can we meet every child's needs, when not just the baby is the only one crying out for attention?

The boys have been more prone to meltdowns and tantrums especially since school started, and we've had many a crazier-than-crazy moment! And if not at least one boy who's going "Waaa!" instead of using words, then, the other is choosing to have selective hearing and shoots back with, "Can't hear you!"!

At this time, we can't be more grateful that we had help from my sis at first, and then, now after she left, my MIL is here. Before that, I was really concerned over how we have so many more disorganized messes than organized messes around the house, and all are messes... yikes! But if all I focused on was how to straighten out our place, then I would have missed out on the whole point of spending precious time with our loved ones.

It is such a luxury having family visit us in a home away from home!
My sis and I both cried when she left to go back to Singapore at the end of the first week. My MIL, too, or "Nana" as our children call her, has travelled a long way, to come dote on Jon, Ben, and Kaitlyn, not just to be here for Vern and me.

Earlier, celebrating Vern's birthday...
Besides Daddy's little girl, the daddy himself is also an August child!

Vern's mom arrived the same evening he turned a year older, just in time to sit down with us for a simple homecooked meal, and the birthday cake that was the surprise...
Aug 08 vii 005 f Aug 08 vii 013 f

When Vern was getting the boys ready to fetch Nana from the airport, the craziest idea seized me when I had just enough time to scrounge our pantry for a boxed cakemix -- to whip up simply, and leave it to bake at the same time the chicken was being cooked in the oven.

And good girl Kaitlyn, she took a cat nap right after the cake was done! So I didn't have to try and frost the cake using one hand, and managed to stow it away just before the guys and Nana got back!
Aug 08 vii 006 fAug 08 vii 021 f
Can you spot the heart, as Stardust may ask, in this little gesture on my part to celebrate the husband's special day? =)

Happy Birthday to the super wonderful daddy Vern is!
Aug 08 vii 017 fAug 08 vii 022 f

And day by day, step by step, we're adjusting... slowly but (I pray) surely... to being a 3-kid family!

12 comments:

NomadicMom said...

Waaaa ...."Pui Fook" you lah!
Supposed to be in your confinement, but you still can cook and whip up a birthday cake with frosting summore!

"Pui Fook"!!!

I guessed your boys are a little caught off-guard with the arrival of their sister.....realising that they would have to give up a little on mommy/daddy's time and attention.

Also...with the long summer holidays, going back to school and rev'ing up to FULL school mode would also take a little more effort. Plus a new school year, also means work may be a little harder too!

My two boys are also having tantrums of sorts. Just have had enough of "finger-pointing" and such...that I am putting each boys into separate rooms.

Yan said...

Now, I am speechless... a new baby to take care and you could still "cook up a perfect storm"...and even a heartwarming account of adjusting.

You will fit in perfectly. Do you realize that your family - the boys and girls - all have the same smile. Even Kaitlyn is smiling in the picture.

You are blessed. And thank you so much for blessing others with your blessings!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Vern!

BP, you are really capable! All that worrying about the nitty-gritty for nothing! :D

You have your head screwed on right, spending time with family is more important than reorganising mess.. :D

Yes, take each day as it comes. Take small bites, it's easier to swallow and not so intimidating! And don't worry unnecessarily, you'll know what to do and how to deal with it when the time comes, if it does come at all! What happened before may not happen again this time, so just relax and enjoy your 3 lovelies. :)

Jo said...

you are turning into a supermum!! When I read about you baking and putting on the frosting when kaitlyn was asleep, I was like "WHAT??!" I don't think I could have done as much as you have. Well done BP!

I thought I see a smile on the little babe's face in that last pic? She is so adorable!!! And I just can't wait to see more photos of her growing bigger!

God bless you and yours BP. Such a beautiful 3-kid family you have. :)

Charlene Teo said...

Happy birthday Vern!! And happy 2 week old to baby K! We are all Leo babies hehe. You are an amazing mum BP and your dishes look really good!

~Ling~ said...

Happy Birthday Vern!

Wow Wee! Vern will definitely dote on you for giving him such lovely children and a yummy birthday cake even during your confinement ",) So blessed is your hubby and children to have you as a wife and mother!

Have a good weekend and God bless!

stay-at-home mum said...

Belated birthday greetings to Vern!

You are really a super MUM and you are making people like me hide in shame! despite a having a new born, you whip up such a delicious meal and bake and ice a cake on top of that - I really dont know where to put my face! despite all the help I have here, I still cant manage at times!

You are really blessed, and dont worry, everything will turn out ABSOLUTELY wonderful and in its rightful place! You are going to have a great time with all 3 kids -Nevermind the initial hiccups.

slavemom said...

Wah... *salute* Wat can I say? U put me to shame! :p Ur worries were unnecessary. Looks like u're adjusting just fine.

bp said...

Dear ladies,
Thanks for your support and overly kind words. I never knew how overwhelming it is to have three kids, and just so grateful my sis was here, and now my MIL.

All of you mommies, and wives, you have so much on your plates, you gals do such great jobs... keep doing what you do, and be so blessed! =)

Stardust said...

A new kid on your back, ' waaah ' spills and selective hearing boys, you made some terrifically mouth-watering dishes, PLUS a cake to celebrate the biggest boy at home? BP, you're one AMAZING woman! I'm all energized, all inspired, all encouraged!!!

And I'm sending you this GREAT HUG for who you are, and how you touch me, for you've showed me what an abled woman is like... I know that I'm not weak like how I think I am! I am full of possibilities too! =D

Yes dear, I've spotted the heart and it wet my eyes. That's a rare catch that the Lord sent your way, to make your cake a truly special one, don't you agree. I pray and bless your house with loads and tons of blessings, for everyone alike. Surely He is going to bless the beautiful woman He made, and the wonderful home He gave. AMEN!

Stardust said...

P/S: I love that last picture. Everyone of you is smiling! Kaitlyn, is smiling! Hohohoh... what a beautiful shot!!

Happy belated birthday to you hubby. When's yours?

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Vernon! Sorry I missed your birthday. BP, you are so capable. Super heros don't have to wear a cape, yeah?