Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Are we there yet?

"Is baby coming?" asks Jon.
"I want her to come now!" wishes Ben.

The home stretch is one filled with eager anticipation, but don't we all know that babies come when they want to?

And I'm trying not to overworry, or be daunted already by how much more there is to juggle in the days ahead. But to look forward to the joy of being a new parent again.

Right: Earlier this month, a cheeky Ben who likes to place his hand on my tummy to feel the lil one's movements, has concluded, "Baby is nocturnal"! Referring to how the kicks, as I know them for awhile now, take place mostly throughout the night. As if Baby is already training me for the exhausting part of being a new mother -- the non-stop nursing and poopy diaper changing! But it only gets better, and better, yeah? =)

Meanwhile, we are in the last leg of summer...

Below: A mix of old and new experiences that Jon and Ben got to enjoy this month. Also like a reminder for me of some basic things that we can afford to have more of, whether I'm doing something for the umpteenth time or approaching it brand new...

Ask, "How can I serve you?"
Jul 08 iii 022 (shortlisted) fJul 08 iii 021 (shortlisted) f
"Serving in God's big backyard" was the theme for our church Vacation Bible School this year. At the end of each morning, the children took back with them a simple lesson of who we can serve -- our family, friends, neighbours, and the community, besides just the church and God, honouring Him in the different facets of our lives.

There are times when housewifey and motherly duties sap me, pregnant or not, and I get all grumpy and tell the husband he should be appreciative. I forget that loving = serving, without reservations, unconditionally. And there's stuff the man of the house does that's beyond me, like ending up having to install the dishwasher DIY when our oven conked out last week (I'll spare you the long story), that I too need to appreciate him for, and make it a point to say "thank you"!

Laughter, the best medicine
Jul 08 ii 126 (shortlisted) fJul 08 ii 127 (shortlisted) f
Leslie and Jay of "Laughing Matters" lived it up, by injecting fun into learning, as part of the Catch the Reading Bug programme at the library.

Not just for the boys, I could use the laughter myself. It was a nice little midweek break for us when temperatures soared, and I couldn't think of anywhere else to take them without venturing too far.
Jul 08 ii 135 (shortlisted) fJul 08 ii 113 (shortlisted) f

Try, try again... and don't stop practising
Jul 08 iii 109 (shortlisted) fJul 08 iii 150 (shortlisted) f
Ben waited for the weekend to roll around when Vern could go ice-skating with him and Jon. It's only Ben's second time at the rink, but no different from that first time last year, he put his best foot forward, and picked himself up whenever he fell down.

Jon, who had taken lessons before, was more confident on the ice. Still, he knew that without practice, we get rusty at doing anything we have grasped. However, ice-skating is something we haven't managed to make time for in awhile, because of crazy enough schedules.
Jul 08 iii 161 (shortlisted) fJul 08 iii 100 (shortlisted) f

Interest sparks imagination
Here's something that each boy especially likes this summer. And watching each child work on it like a pet project, it's true that interest is a key ingredient in sparking anyone's imagination and creativity.

Jon, and the Stargate -- inspired by the Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis shows on Sci-Fi channel -- he put together using recyclable stuff, and couldn't wait to declare open!
Jul 08 iv 020 (shortlisted) fJul 08 iv 014 (shortlisted) f
Jul 08 iv 015 (shortlisted) fJul 08 iv 017 (shortlisted) f

Ben and his drawings and stories to tell, like for this "flip the flap" book, that's a good opportunity to encourage writing of the alphabet as well...
Jul 08 iv 068 (shortlisted) fJul 08 iv 065 (shortlisted) f Jul 08 ii 016 (shortlisted) fJul 08 ii 004 (shortlisted) f

9 comments:

Mommy Lose Weight said...

oh, u r going to have a princess right ?? :D

take care and it's going to be time, real soon :)

Stardust said...

Pretty mama, ain't all this anticipation a good feeling... ;)

Thanks for reminding me that loving = serving. Hard to swallow sometimes, but I guess it's one of those secrets for a loving family. Oh, I certainly hope that things at your home don't give you trouble anymore. =P

Tell Jon that the Stargate is amazing, kickoff funny. =D And Ben, isn't he slowly revealing his potential too! =DDD I wonder if #3 plays quietly? =P Take care sister. Be praying and God bless...

slavemom said...

Ice-skating looks fun! Wud love to learn one day but maybe too old edi. Don't wanna break a bone or something. hehehe
So cute that there's a lil opening ceremony for the Stargate. Vy nicely done!
Anytime now yeah? Here's wishing u a smooth n safe delivery.

Anonymous said...

Hi BP,
Just dropping by to say Hi! Sorry I haven't been dropping by. Love Jon's stargate! I love it when the kids get creative. Do take care & enjoy the rest of the summer. When's ur due date? :)

Anonymous said...

What a cool stargate, Jon & Ben! We're fans too!
BP- hope you're stealing moments to put your feet up and relax abit even if its for 5-10 minutes at a time.
You have been in my thoughts and prayers much lately. I know God will work the timing of everything just right.
Hope you have your hospital bag packed and a backup for the kids' care in case your sister's visit doesn't coincide with baby's arrival.
Savor the last moments ....
-fay

bp said...

Ling, Stardust, Slavemom, Blur Mommy, Fay,
Thanks, I really appreciate your well-wishes and concern. Be in touch whenever I can!

You all have a wonderful weekend now with your loved ones... *hugs*

sting said...

am all excited waiting for the baby to come :-) all the best and have a safe delivery ya

~Ling~ said...

Hi BP,

Wow, you are looking good! Been really busy with work...sad. Thanks for dropping and show your care and concern. Times flies, have a safe and smooth delivery, sister. =)

Looking forward to seeing the pics of your little one.

Take care, God bless!
Jade

bp said...

Sting, Jade,
Thanks for caring and your well-wishes. You have a blessed week ahead!