Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Baby steps... on ice!

There's always stuff to learn from children. In fact, my two boys just taught me a thing or two at the ice-skating rink.

Aug 07 v 229

For the longest time, Ben and I just got to watch from the sidelines whenever we went with Jon for Jon's ice-skating lessons. Of course, Ben wouldn't just be watching, but scaling stairs and seats, and poking around trashbins and vending machines, so I would end up getting a workout too, in the time Jon was out there in the rink practising his forward and backward swizzles and what-have-you!

That was over a year ago now, when Jon was really enthusiastic about the sports and had completed a few levels of courses, before he got sidetracked by soccer and then baseball.

We haven't been back since. Until Monday. Ben was actually the one, who'd been asking us to take him. But like so many other things we thought about doing this summer, this was almost going to be one of those we weren't going to get round to, what with school starting already.

But there we were, for Ben's very first time on the ice, and Jon was excited about ice-skating again!
Aug 07 v 139 Aug 07 v 142

And it was the second time for me, in my entire life, the previous time being more than 10 years ago but I don't remember discovering any hidden potential nor natural flair for gliding on ice as a result of that one and only attempt.

And so, I was as good as taking my first gingerly step on the ice, at the edge of the rink, of course. And as I was thinking what I should do next, dear Jon sashayed past me, not once, but twice, and by his third round, he told me, "Mommy, you shouldn't keep to the edge. You need to let go and skate!". Then, as if showing off, he did a small leap in the air, and landed rather nicely on his feet, before he scurried off!

Round and round the rink Jon went, he made it look so effortless!
Aug 07 v 219 Aug 07 v 217

Now if I were walking on ice (which I wasn't quite doing yet), then he was running, no, make that flying! Not that he's a pro, no, he's not, and he did land on his bottom several times, and then when he fell smack on his mouth, I thought he was going to cry, for it must have hurt! But like a good sport, Jon just picked himself up, and went on and on.

Ben, too, and considering he was starting much earlier -- more than a whole year -- than when Jon first tried ice-skating, was really brave about the whole new adventure! Holding on to the metal chair or "buddy" as it's called, for support, he was happily gliding on ice!
Aug 07 v 168

He too, fell, and many times at that, but undeterred, would try his best to stand up. He also carried on, and didn't stop until the session ended, not even when he looked tired to me and I asked him if he needed a break.
Aug 07 v 157

Watching both my boys do it -- and on their part, no apprehension, no trepidation, fearless, and what endurance(!), I also wondered about Jon's first time, how he'd just gone and done it. I finally decided to let go and try it out for myself, too! You know, sort of like taking a step of faith. Out of my comfort zone, into the realm of the unknown!
Aug 07 v 192 Aug 07 v 191

It wasn't so bad. And I definitely took many more awkward steps!

I so wish to tell you I glided like a swan (haha!), but I didn't! What really mattered, was that I tried my best to take more baby steps, to stay balanced. Twice I fell too, trying to help Ben when he keeled over, and I was naturally afraid for both of us. We got back up on our feet, though it's harder for one who's down to help another, but at least we were there for each other, and knew what it was like!
Aug 07 v 197 Aug 07 v 213

But how's that for ending our summer vacation on a rather cool note? The weather hasn't relented, and it's still scorching hot outside, and temperatures are expected to soar to 39 deg celsius this week! I was feeling bad that we hadn't taken the boys outside to play for over a week now, but not so anymore.

Catch you later, while we step into the new schoolyear, with a bit of orientation later today, and then actual school the day after. Will Ben be as brave about his first time in school, and Jon raring to go knowing there's going to be more homework?

For me, I know I'd better start sleeping earlier, because dark circles aside, there's more driving I have to do, so much so the husband told a friend that this time, I'm really going to be the full-time driver!

Sorry, no wonderful pictures of him and the boys on the ice, not until I can glide fly like him or Jon... hehe!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

From feeling hot to feeling cold!

I have never tried ice-skating and have not desire to. All the stories I hear and then passing them on to my kids which also put them off ice-skating. :)

Nice to see kids enjoying themselves.

Anonymous said...

Your kids are growing beautifully. Wah, time flies - Ben is going preschool. You are doing such a wonderful job :)

Aileen

stay-at-home mum said...

Ice skating is so fun, and the kids learn so fast. I remember when I was learning to ski. There I was so cautious,and the little kids were zooming by me!

Charlene Teo said...

oohhh all of you look so cool on the skate ring! I missed those days whereby a bunch of us will go ice-skating right after our lessons at JE. Maybe i need to teach my girls that too!

Charlene Teo said...

and ooohh I have finished the layouts for the boys. Go look k!

Anonymous said...

I love ice skating but can only go one direction, once on the move kenot change direction otherwise will fall :D

bp said...

Thanks everyone for a slice of your life on ice, and kind words.

If I try ice-skating again, and do make strides in the RIGHT direction (haha!), it'll be fun to see if I can snap a picture or two while on the ice!