
"... and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
~ Hebrews 12:1
From field days to field trips over the last few weeks, the schoolyear ends on a fun note!
And the message to press on and finish strong came to me, whilst I was watching some kindergarteners (not photographed) compete in the 800m race. It was especially heartening to see the last of the boys not give up when the rest had surged ahead, and eventually making it past the finish line, too! Amidst cheers and applause from those on the bleachers, who had been encouraging him to go, keep going all the way!
Don't friends -- who stick by us, and cheer us on -- make all the difference in life's journey, too? =)
Our boys and their friends bonding over some fun and games...



(above: Field Day, 3K field trip, last day of school, and baseball party to mark the end of the season).
Playing ball...

... on the last day of school, on the parking garage rooftop where various fun-filled activities were being held, Jon showed Ben how to shoot a basket. After several tries, Ben got his very first one through the hoop!

Although I didn't capture a shot of that special moment, seeing an exuberant Ben go, "I did it!", both Jon and I couldn't help but feel "Yay!" for him, too, like it was a huge breakthrough! Way to go, Ben!
Watching from the sidelines, showing support...
... it can be just as awesome!Saying thanks...
Throughout the schoolyear, there had been opportunities for us parents to lend the teachers our support -- whether it's through volunteering for particular events, or through little ways we know how. In the process, I got to know Ben's teacher, and appreciate how much she gives of herself.
A little personalized something for Ben's teacher...

... my favourite picture of the class -- framed, and jazzed up a bit, and a handmade card that included a picture of her and Ben.
I didn't see it coming, but on that last day of school, she had a handwritten card for me, before I could pass mine to her. It was one of the sweetest notes I've received! Most of all, I'm grateful for the friendship she's extended to me, besides what a wonderful job she does with the schoolchildren! Just by being who she is -- using her gifts and talents to touch lives, and her love for God is unmistakable!
And yes, if you haven't guessed, I do like to sweat the little stuff, and use photos to personalize gifts and cards, no matter how basic my efforts may seem. But such are the things that's hard to find time for, and when I do, it's always very late at night! Still, for every completed piece, I pray it'll be received with joy, as much as I enjoy doing it! =)

16 comments:
You are such a dearie!! Such a thoughtful gift for the teacher!
And well-done Ben for getting the shot thru' the hoop and at only 4 - a future 1st draft for the NBA maybe!! My little D is such a "sio jia" she cannot even get anywhere near the basket, and ours is only 4 ft high.
SAHM,
Thanks, the teacher is the dearie, and I just think we are so blessed to have her!
Hehe, D is such a darling, always so sweet =). Ben... dunno if he'll repeat the "stunt", but he was overjoyed when the ball got through!
Ahh... I agree. you're truly a dearie. So is the teacher too!
It must be such a wonderful feeling watching your boys grow. =)
Wow! Are you going to have a little princess??? When is your edd? I am feeling sooo happy & excited for you, Vern and the two big brothers! We have to meet up one day when you guys are back in SIN! Congrats again! :D
Now you just made me feel guilty for not attending the boys' sports day tomorrow!!!
Errr..but my guilt not great enough to change my mind lah...
You are really a very engaging mum - I feel I have really missed seeing my children growing years!
I remember Chris had wanted mum to send him a pack of "dumplings" during the tea-break in school. He said many parents brought food during the break. One day, I decided that I would do that. The "dumplings" were packed, but a last meet business call had me dropped the plan.
For six years I could not send one time? Indeed, I did not send once!
Rachel on the other hand did not like the idea of having mummy at school during recess time! Mummy not allowed.
Recently, I met a young lawyer whose younger brother was in Chris' class. She told me that her brother envied Chris so much because Chris would always bring great food like Pizza and bun home-made by mummy!
This made me feel a little better. He..he..
Really enjoyed looking at the pictures. And the hand-made gifts.
God Bless all the great mothers here!
that's so sweet of you and her... and I'm sure the kids would appreciate these when they are all grown up :-)
Nomadic Mom,
Hehe, don't feel bad at all. I didn't plan on going for Jon's sports day... eventually dropped in after Ben's school 'coz Jon hadn't felt well the day before, and thot I'd pop in to see he was OK.
Stardust, Yan,
Thanks. It was harder for me to do stuff like this when I worked back home, so it's a real bonus whenever I can be there for the boys... although I couldn't possibly go for everything... it would be too crazy ;p
Just thankful whenever I get to capture some everyday moment, before the boys grow up too fast too soon!
And Yan, I know you are doing your best for Rachel and Chris, on top of so many things you juggle. They must know that too... besides, what's better than mom's homecooked food?! =) God bless you for being the greatest mom to them!
Charlene,
Hey, thanks... two more months!
Sting,
Thanks, altho' with kids, and boys especially, I'm not so sure if they appreciate stuff like this... too erm sentimental?! Hehe!
You are truly a beautiful and considerate being! It's really heartwarming to see how involved you are with your kids and their school life.
I barely speak to my girl's teachers (doesn't help that the school discourages direct communication with the teachers. We can only contact school counsellors..) and there aren't that many after school activities anyway.
You've given me some ideas on how to show our appreciation to our teachers before we break for summer. :)
Kat,
Thanks for your kind words! You're so creative, I know you'll have something really nice for the teachers. On a practical note, for Jon's teachers and baseball coaches, us parents also came together to give them giftcards -- something that they can enjoy =).
It's a good value to instill from young. Winning or losing isn't everything. It's the process that counts.
Yes, personalised cards add extra meaning to it. So nice of u (to put in the time n effort) n I guess Ben's vy lucky to be in the guidance of a dedicated teacher.
You are such a thoughtful person..I would have cried if I was the teacher receiving the photo!
Slavemom, Priscilla,
I appreciate your kind words. And Ben's teacher is a real blessing to all the kids!
i guess the most wonderful thing being a parent is to c their child grow up healthily & happily. cheers!!!
Amei79,
Agree =)! Thanks for coming by!
Post a Comment