Thursday, April 17, 2008

Oven Fake-its

Seeing it was about pork chop where I'd left off in my last post, here's also to mention another easy enough oven version that works OK for us! Maybe something like this, works for you and your family, too?

Don't frown though, if you prefer to cook your pork chop/cutlet on the stovetop -- whether to deep-fry it, or use a skillet.

But if oven "fake-its" work for breaded chicken...
Mar 08 viii 002 Mar 08 viii 004

and breaded fish...
Oct 07 i 067

now, why not also for breaded pork, I figured?
Mar 08 ix 075 Mar 08 ix 078

So there, finally tried it the other day, minus any oil splattering on the stovetop!

For all the oven fake-it versions shown above, simply place the breaded raw meat or fish into the oven at around 400F, and let it bake away for 30 min or so, till it's (quite easily) done!

Sauce or no sauce?
We eat our breaded chicken/fish/pork without any dip, the way we do too, McDonald's nuggets without the BBQ sauce. But I prefer to serve it with noodles (or whatever pasta), in place of rice, and to the noodles I add sauce, so the meal won't come across as too dry! If not, then, soup as a side to go along with the rice is nice also!

Just to share with you, one such sauce I adapted from a sweet and sour fish recipe -- not to the fish (or meat) I add the sauce, but try tossing your noodles with this:

Mix together 1/2 cup pineapple juice*, 2TB tomato ketchup, 2TB sugar, and 1 tsp rice wine vinegar. And if you like it to be more savoury, add some dark soya sauce, like I usually would!

*The juice I get from canned pineapple, and the pineapple I just leave to bake in the oven for about the same duration as the meat. It adds a citrusy, sweet touch to the dish!

How do you like your pork chop? Is there a particular way you like to cook, or eat it? If it must be with sauce, what's your favourite kind?

Earlier:
Oven Fake-It Recipes for cornflake chicken and cod fish found here.

9 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

I like my pork chops with tomato sauce. I usually deep fry mine - will give the bake version a try - but should it be 400F instead of 400C? 400 C doesnt quite sound right.

Jo said...

Aiyooo... so yummy looking!! I wish I can bite into that right NOW! I don't even cook pork in my kitchen :(

NomadicMom said...

Bp - Like SAHM, we prefer our pork chops fried...as we use very lean pork loin. Tried to bake them once, and it was too dry. Frying "moist" them up a bit. We usually serve with different sauces on different days.
- Mushroom Sauce
- Caramelized Onion Sauce
- Apricot and Mustard
- Apple Sauce

Bake at 400 deg F lah. Not deg C lah...

bp said...

SAHM, Nomadic Mom,
Hehe... my mistake, you're right, it's F not C lah! Thanks for pointing it out... I've amended it!

I really should do the deep-fry version... been wanting to do it with Marie biscuits (maybe the Sunshine biscuits here?) since Nomadic Mom reminded me of those the last time! Yes, and all the sauces you both mentioned, it will mean a much more moist pork chop... extra yummy! =)

Jomel,
Come, eat! Maybe you can order some when you eat out this weekend? V considerate of you to keep pork out of your kitchen.

Anonymous said...

I do the fake breaded thing too but I use different breading all the time depending on what's in the pantry. I use breadcrumbs, panko, french-fried onion or cornflakes, mostly for fish & chicken. Haven't tried it for pork chop yet. Thanks for the idea. Looks yummy! :)

bp said...

Blur mommy,
Thanks to your French-fried onion post the last time, I've done the cornflakes version besides my usual breaded version before that. I must go get some Panko, too... that should taste really good!

Hope the oven fake-it pork works for you, just as nicely as all your other breaded versions.

I simply like the idea that there's no oil splattering on the stovetop!

A Mature Student said...

Sometimes this is what I make for my family to have with rice. Crumbed fish baked in oven and all I do is make sweet and sour sauce. Sometimes I serve the crumbed fish with baked beans instead of sweet and sour sauce and the kids just loved it. :)

slavemom said...

Whenever I c posts on simple recipes, I'm vy happy coz I'm a lousy cook. hahaha Thx for sharing! The internet has really helped a lot in the meals dept. :D

bp said...

Clockwise,
Thanks for the baked beans idea. I was just telling my boys I used to eat it as a kid, and want them to try it too!

Slavemom,
Hope these easy ways will work for you and yours too, as they have for my family. Most days I go by a simple one meat, one veg policy, and occasionally just another simple side to add to the meal!