Monday, April 14, 2008

Baseball's back!

Apr 08 iv 079
Baseball is Jon's favourite sports (so far!), and like the boys in his class who're on the team, he won't want to miss a game for anything!

So, never mind that temperatures swung back to freezing(!!!) on Saturday, nearly everyone showed up to play the first game of the season against another school!
Apr 08 iv 006
Apr 08 iv 004

Brrrrrrrr...
it felt like winter all over again!
Apr 08 iv 094 Apr 08 iv 093
Not the best weather to play ball in -- the skies were overcast, threatening to pour any time, and it was windy, blustery in fact!

Nevertheless, we were all there -- moms, dads, and siblings, too (Ben included!), to cheer our little guys on! Me, in my puffy coat, and sweater, and thermals underneath even! And more than one mom had blankets wrapped around them, too!
Apr 08 iv 082

Stepping up to the plate...
all eyes on the ball now!
Apr 08 iv 007
Apr 08 iv 013

The boys would swing the bat as hard as they could... Apr 08 iv 059

... and when they weren't running as quicky as their (cold!) feet could take them, from one base to another... Apr 08 iv 024

...they tried their best not to let the ball get away!
Apr 08 iv 048 Apr 08 iv 075
Apr 08 iv 042

I wasn't keeping score, and with the husband, took turns to be with Ben and another child, the younger sibling of Jon's classmate, to be at the playground nearby. It was definitely a bonus when our side won! Especially since the team's first practise session, scheduled days before the game, had to be cancelled because of a thunderstorm.

It helped that the boys had played together before, and with support from the same parent-coaches, helpers, and faithful fans, of course!
Apr 08 iv 083

Everybody was happy when the game ended, not just because we were able to get away from the cold (hehe!), but also happy things got off to a swinging start! =)
Apr 08 iv 036 Apr 08 iv 096

After the fun...
More serious stuff happening in school this week, as SAT testing (exams equivalent) will be the order of the day, from Monday through Friday!

And although tests and exams here are not as stressful as back home, I know we can't just leave Jon "to his own devices". Like last week, when he came back with 30%(!) for a simple spelling test! How to sit back, and take it easy?!

But talk about things swinging... there were snowflakes here yesterday (no kidding!) before they gave way to showers! This, while some other parts of the States, like Los Angeles, were getting really hot weather in the 90'sF!

Looks like we still can't stow away our coats, not just yet!

19 comments:

Mommy Lose Weight said...

I wonder .... if they ever pespire under such freezy weather. We prespire like mad as summer is all day long

Anonymous said...

Ooo, looks like so much fun! I know what you mean about the weather. It's the same here too. Gorgeous one day & super cold another!

stay-at-home mum said...

Looks like your boys have been americanised!! My friends kids love baseball too!! They look like they were having so much fun!

Stardust said...

The kids are like big boys when they are at the game. Ooh, Jon is so cool!

I'm more grateful about the climate here as it is not so extreme like your place. Hang on a little, warmth is coming your way. Meanwhile, have lotsa fun!

Christine Lim said...

Replying your comment on my blog.

hey BP,
I guess it is not as stressful for you being in the States?

I wish I can get my girls to understand that, unfortunately, they can't always do what they enjoy. Life's full of up and down. They have got to learn to accept moments of inconvenient, unfairness, complete hardship and try to get things done without moaning and complaining how difficult life is.

I suppose all understanding comes from perseverance and experience. In the meantime, we can only do our best to back them up whenever they feel like giving up.

We all learn as we go along.

I sound like a parenting guru there!

Heehee ... keep in touch! Have fun with your boys!

Ps: I wonder (quite often) if we should leave Singapore? I have parents who are old and mum has cancer. Yet I do wish to give my girls the opportunity to experience things like nature, 4 seasons and wilderness ... just imagining! :)

NomadicMom said...

Perhaps Jon will be a pro-baseball player? They are paid gazzillions... then bp can "thann-sai-kai"!!!! No need to spell well one...

Bengbeng said...

i enjoyed this post very much bcoz it is so alien to our culture. it must b cold over there but at the same time i am sure u all r enjoying yrselves immensely

Yan said...

Look like you had enjoyed tremendously and as much as the children had. I missed Chris' traffic games competition though he had let me enjoyed his victorious laughters when I picked him up after the games!

Should make effort next year!

slavemom said...

Isn't it crazy to be out there in such weather? But it's all for the love of the game. And it was really fun n exciting, I can tell.
How abt some smiles for us to see?

bp said...

Ling,
Hehe, hardly in cold weather, but come summer here, it can be hotter than back home, and the sun, really scorching (searing)!

Blur Mommy,
Hope the warmer weather will really be here to stay... for you also! The cold does get to me, besides the gloomy skies.

SAHM,
Haha, the Cardinals' team hails from St Louis, and quite naturally, everyone here (almost!) is a baseball fan!

And as they say -- when in Rome, do as the...

Stardust,
Thanks, and April showers bring May flowers, right? =)

Christine,
The different experience(s) here because of the different culture, and living through the seasons, is something I must not take for granted. Maybe you can plan a vacation to some place you've always liked to visit that's not quite like S'pore? Just a thot!=)

That's not to say, we haven't our share of grouses, too, and it's amazing how whining and "Not fair" to this and that set in at a very young age! There's no denying either that some things have to give -- being away from home and loved ones, etc.

But as you said, it's all part of life, and always works in progress for us to learn how to give our best and make the most of where we are.

You're doing a great job, mommy Christine... keep going!!!

Nomadic Mom,
LOL! Your thann-sai-kai really got me laughing! Aiyah, better be down-to-earth, and study hard/smart 1st!!!

Bengbeng,
Glad you enjoyed this. If you'll like a glimpse of our favourite things from the last season, I did list the posts on the RHS column of my blog, for easy access.

Yan,
Just came from catching your happy shots of Chris! Agree totally, nothing quite like the laughter of children to brighten our day! Especially after a long one, and you must have been busy over the weekend with the 40DOP, work, etc!

Slavemom,
You're right... all for the love of the game, but agree that it's quite crazy (some of us were hoping maybe the game would be postponed ;p)! I've noted your tag.

Yan said...

bp,

Thanks for remembering the 40DOP in your prayers. It was really a good turnout. My refreshment for 60 had to feed 80! I "ular" lah, I did not cook like you did, I ordered :)

Charlene Teo said...

Jon is looking so cool here!

JK said...

I wish there is baseball for children here but it seems the children here are always locked at home. Not really healthy, huh?

bp said...

Yan,
"Ular" is good! Glad that the 40DOP is off to a great start... kudos to you for your publicity efforts!

Charlene,
Thanks!

Jo-N,
Know what you mean, being outdoors is nice, yah? For us, maybe it's the cold weather and cabin fever from being cooped indoors all throughout winter, we like to be able to go out there and catch some sun, the moment the weather warms up a little! But only if our schedule allows us.

sting said...

that looks like real great outdoor fun.. btw, have added you to my bloglist too :-)

Christine Lim said...

Hey BP,
Thanks for your encouragement.

Being able to be an artist and a mummy at the same time is just the best "job" in the world.

I will keep it up ...

I will update your link and you have a great week ahead. Weekend is coming again ... time just went by at the speed of light.

Stardust said...

Hi bp,

Do drop by my place someday to collect ' something '. Weekend is nearing, so; have a great time!

bp said...

Sting,
Thanks!

Christine,
You're most welcome, and thanks... you have a nice weekend just around the corner! =)

Stardust,
Thanks, will pop by in a moment!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I visited your blog through Google found it to be really enjoyable.

It's look like so much fun.

Keep up the fantastic work!

Good going. Keep it up......


Youth Baseball Drills