Monday, December 19, 2011

Heart the Joy

Here's what my youngest loves about baking...
Also why I vacuum AFTER not before we bake, haha! She is especially good in stirring up a storm ;).


Seriously now, her giggles and laughter are like spoonfuls of sugar! :D

One batch at a time... 
So glad Kait helped me with these simple cookies. I was happy to put in some OT, too, for more batches, for her and her brothers to give to their teachers with their hand-drawn cards. 


Our other little merry touches, when we eventually got round to them (er, life is busy ;p), are also helping to chase the winter blues away!



Much more than that, I am reminded that we are celebrating God's gift of Christ. 


The heart of the season is giving.


Christmas is about love and joy. It is also about the giving of joy -- to brighten someone's day, not just this time of the year. 


This article on The Gift of Joy recognizes that life is not picture perfect. Surely we can all relate to having tough times and days when we feel down ourselves or for those we love and cherish, over very real problems and losses.  


It goes on to encourage us to "choose joy and give it away", and I quote from it:
Life is not picture perfect for most of us, but there is so much joy to be found and shared every day. If I simply LOOK for JOY and then make the effort to SHARE it, I can change my attitude and perspective on what Christmas is all about...


"The more I dwell on my blessings every day, by God’s grace the more they seem to multiply before my eyes. And by experiencing more joy in my own life, I have more JOY to give away.


Jesus came so that we might have life and live it to the full (John 10:10)!

Let's heart the joy; bless and be blessed, too! We're always blessed when others send cheer, encouragement, and prayers our way (thank you!!!). Am thankful and feel blessed always also for the opportunities for us to do that any day, every day (we don't have to look far).

“Let us remember that the Christmas heart is a giving heart, a wide-open-heart that thinks of others first.” - George Matthew Adams



I heart these cream cheese cookies...
made with this recipe, and find them to be as versatile as sugar cookies, and softer. 


It works for us with two egg yolks also for cutout cookies (to frost if you like), as an alternative to the thumbprint with jam or Hershey kiss in the centre, or just add sprinkles/decorating sugar on top. They're also yummy enough to eat on their own :D.

6 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

yummy gifts, lucky teachers!! And lucky Kait who has a mum who allows her to help and mess-up! Blessed family. Here's my wish for you this Christmas: A home filled with Love, laughter, joy, and an empty laundry basket! Merry Christmas!

Charmaine said...

BP, have a wonderful Christmas and New Year celebrations with your family and loved ones. Let's rejoice and be glad for our Saviour is born today! Blessings to all!

bp said...

SAHM,
Thanks for all your Christmas blessings! A very Merry Christmas to you and family also, may your lives overflow with God's love and goodness, (a bit like my overflowing laundry basket, hehe)! You keep going by His grace day after day (one load at a time, yah) :)!

bp said...

Charmaine,
Thanks! Blessed Christmas to you and your family as you celebrate Jesus! And happy gathering and feasting with your loved ones!

Stardust said...

And I sure read joy in this very post which says all about that hard work in the kitchen, but boy, it is JOY to work with loved ones, share and give to others. Thank you for drawing my attention on what joy and blessings I have, also the very reason we celebrate Jesus. I need to focus on what-I-haves that what I don't and now that I do, my heart is skipping to the Christmas mood though I am really dead tired! Thank you my dear friend, for always being with me. Here's wishing you and all at home a very merry and blessed Christmas as His Spirit fills your home. Hugs hugs and hugs to you dearie, know how much I am grateful for you.

bp said...

Stardust,
Much thanks for popping in, reading the many things I'm trying to squeeze into such longwinded posts ;)... and leaving your comments even tho' you're so exhausted. Take it slower, yah, I wish you a restful Christmas that's full of love and joy, cuddles and giggles with Bear and Cub! Thank you my dear for being here always, encouraging me on my mothering journey! I feel so blessed to be able to share in yours! Hugs and God bless!