Our dinner on the eve of Chinese New Year had to have fish...
Because fish, or 鱼 ("yu") is a play on the "yu" in the phrase 年年有余 ("Nian Nian You Yu") meaning, year after year of surpluses.
Also because the salmon was fresh enough for me to season it with just salt and pepper -- and let its own sweetness shine!
I left it to bake simply in the oven. And went and did a quick stir-fry of the mushroom, and shrimp or "ha" as it's called in the Cantonese dialect -- for lots of "ha ha's" (laughter) in this Rabbit Year!
Also threw some chicken into that side dish with broccoli. That subsequently an old friend in Singapore said that chicken or "ji" could signify blessings and good fortune in the likes of 吉祥 ("ji xiang") and 大吉大利 ("da ji da li").
So there, a symbolic meal that was very doable for a schoolnight, but a special one at that. We ate it with long, long noodles, of course (angel hair for how fast it cooked). And rounded it up with an easy longan + lychee dessert that required no prep.
Abundance, Happiness, Blessings... may the year we've ushered in be overflowing with them! :)
***
More fish...
I did not try to make our own Yu Sheng, quite the platter of a salad with raw fish in it. I did go on to buy and cook more fish again and again since -- for the husband after his wisdom teeth (x4) surgery on the second day of CNY. Bake it, pan-fry it, or steam it, and he especially likes his fish in soup during this "baby food" phase. Only one week after the surgery now is he able to open his mouth better. The swell is going down, and the pain is also slightly better but that's because he is on stronger meds that knock him out still.
On CNY eve, I was also going to rely on our trusty slowcooker to churn out a big pot of soup with chicken drumsticks/thighs for more deliberate leftovers, if Meimei wasn't practising her "Yu Sheng tossing" with such fervour! Or maybe she was trying to help me do a lastminute clean sweep of the place, that busy schoolday?!! This, among the things keeping me on my toes. With the boys also, and more than just the usual to-ing and fro-ing for their school and activities. Whilst also trying to take care of the husband in this time he has to lay low to get all better.
I am really exhausted, but am also really going T.G.I.F!!!
(I find the cod fish fillet works really well in soup. Shrimp in particular their shells or dried anchovies are great to make a quick broth with for a simplified stovetop version of the steamboat. That made for yet another fish-ful meal for us, when eventually I got hold of some fishballs and other frozen seafood bites).


8 comments:
Hope you had a good rest over the weekend.
I was down and out, flat out with the flu. Fortunately I am feeling better now, coz its Monday and I have my taxi shifts to do. God really takes care of me, letting me really rest on the days when I can.
OMG! I would have freaked out if that kind of tossing happened at my place. But knowing the cool Mum that you are I am sure you took it in your stride.
Oh mei mei you funny little thing! The mess is hair-tearing I know but this shot is precious!!
Thank you for your tips on CNY feast, I know nothing besides Yu! I shall surely include 'ji' and 'ha' the next CNY, but before that, pardon my Cantonese, I don't really catch the 'ha has' part. Laughters? Huh?
Say I really love this post, how can I forget that CNY's not over yet! ;)
P/s, hope that your hubby is much recovered now.
SAHM,
Thanks, glad to hear you're better and caught some much needed rest. I am so zonked, I started writing this last week but kept putting off completing it.
Btw, I wasn't so cool about that HUGE MESS, and that's not the full "hurricane" picture, and we do have more messes I have no energy to get to. One load at a time, yah!
Stardust,
Thanks, I'm none the wiser, was just trying to make some associations with what may be significant in the variety of food served during the reunion dinner. Yes, "ha ha" for laughter or "hee hee ha ha" as I saw on another site.
Vern is on his way to feeling more normal again. Poor guy, he has tons to catch up on for work, 'coz the pain was so bad he had to ask for help to cover some of it. Now it's "payback" time! Busy, busy, busy!
YUMMMM! All I could focus on was the fishes! They all looked so delicious. Love the salmon, and love the cod in soup too.. especially love the cod in soup. Looks so wholesome and definitely soup for the soul. Good to know that the big guy is feeling normal now.
Oh gosh! I really empathise with you about the mess. My littlest wasn't called Hurricane Shelly for nothing! Thank goodness that phase is well and over now. I no longer pick up after that. I scream at them, and all is clean and in their places in an instant. Still, it's tiring to scream too ok! Sigh!
Waliow! The mess is from openning an OVER-STUFFED cupboard is it?
I would have pengsan-ed!
Jo,
Thanks, I'm a soup person so am also more on about making soups in this cold weather, except I use the lazier slowcooker way than leave it to simmer on the stovetop, and have no qualms reaching for a canned broth on days with more driving, hehe. The hubby is getting there one day at a time.
Haha, I don't mind screaming but need to work towards having a place for at least the main things, so I can hound the kids to put them back where they belong!
NM,
That cupboard could use some reorganizing, but Meimei is also not making it easy at all with this "play mess up" (her words!) and it drives me up the wall when she just pulls things off shelves and out of drawers, and also throws the clean clothes I'd placed in the laundry basket everywhere before I could fold them... becoz I left her alone for 5min. Keeps me on my toes!
Post a Comment