Friday, February 18, 2011

Lovely homemade Bak-Kwa


It's my maiden effort... making Bak-Kwa (pork jerky) in the name of survival, er I mean pigging out!!


Lovingly made, hehe!  

And while this might not be your Mei Zhen Xiang or Lin Zhi Yuan, it tasted quite lovely!

Finally!! I've been busy and tuckered out by day's end, driving on weekends not just weekdays. But really wanted to try and make this before the 15 days of CNY -- the reason (my excuse) to feast -- would be over after yesterday! 

Feb 11 ii 107The kids helped... and especially to eat it almost all up by the next day -- mostly among the boys and me! 


Their dad still can't chomp that well yet, but he's not really a BK fan.


So our Valentine's Day dinner (and this more exciting BK adventure was not on the same day) was... *drum roll please*...
more FISH... 
That I made for us all, haha!


Feb 11 i 113A steelhead that looked like a pinker version of our salmon meal on CNY eve. Pan-fried some of it so the skin was lots crispier! Paired with a stir-fry asparagus cooked till soft and imitation crabmeat.  Eaten with porridge this time.

Specially to cater to the better half's dietary needs, post his wisdom-teeth surgery. Served up with love, ahem, and a "Happy Valentine's!".


Don't say I didn't try. But I AM a BK person, more than a fish person, you know ;p.  


***

Our first time making Bak-Kwa...

Jon gave the ground pork a good swivel in the marinade...
Feb 11 ii 048


Ben rolled out the meat, the meat sandwiched between a clingwrap and parchment paper...

Feb 11 ii 091


And after Round 1 in the oven at low heat, Kait helped to cut it up into all sorts of shapes... sorta!
Feb 11 ii 058Feb 11 ii 061
(It's a lot trickier than this looks 'coz of the thin layer of meat prone to breaking up. I did the cutting eventually -- using the cookie-cutter picked by Kait, and a pizza-cutter)!


Feb 11 ii 066Then it was back into the oven (or grill, if you have one and prefer to use that) at a higher temp, for that crucial grilling (I used a mix of bake and broil)...

... As we sat tight for that Moment of Truth!!!

Mostly, my three little (guinea) pigs
were lots more enthusiastic over the end-product than they stayed on task during the process. And kept asking me:
"Is it done?
"Can I have some?
"Me, too, I want some!
"Now, NOW,  NOOOWWW!!"...
Like EVERY. OTHER. MINUTE!!!

Like them, I was just sooo excited over savouring the very first tray hot off the oven!  It was surprisingly tender!

But so much so, I forgot to keep as close an eye on the last two trays. So those were more charred, oops! You want to keep a really close watch not to burn every PRECIOUS piece of BK!

I heart BK... 
me, more so than Meimei, haha!
Spot the hearts, to borrow the lovely Stardust's line!

It took the children and me at least 2h to work on just 2lb of meat.  That yielded about four trays of pork jerky (and bear in mind the meat would shrink some after the grilling).

The Recipes...
Thank you Blur Mommy whose recipe is here, and she also shared with me the one from Crazymommy here that I based ours on.

It's really always THANKS to moms and bloggers like them, including the great Master Chef Jomel, who are generous in sharing their tried and tested recipes in detail, that our own beginner's attempts like this one is possible. I was thinking of Fay while making the BK, remembering she'd said before her family made their own must-be-so-yummy one :). Had not known we could make this at home.

So keep sharing, my friends!! Yan, it's nice you're back blogging.

And now, it's my turn to give a "TGIF!!!" shout-out, as SAHM does and beats me to it every time! ;p

Ways we love... 
It was really wonderful of my old pal Viv to drop me a note just to wish me a Happy V Day! I hope you got to exchange sweet words like these with someone dear, family/friends.  


And it does not have to be about romance only -- and "under bright bright lights" to quote NM is alright, too.  But I do like how WTT and her husband used V Day to make it extra special.


That's not restricted to that day only, of course, and more ways we can show love and in the little everyday things also. 


(The V Day crafts were made by the boys in school, besides getting to exchange Valentine's with their classmates).

12 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

TGIF indeed!! And I am so going to give that BK recipe a try. Wish me luck!

bp said...

SAHM,
Think we might have been accessing each other's blogs at about the same time, as I got your comments after I'd clicked publish on yours :)... How's that for extra luck?!!

You'll do just great, have fun making your BK, and savouring it!

Jo said...

awww... this post is so lovely. I can feel your love, and how you try to spread it far and away across blogsphere! :D :D

And the BK, like I said, looks AMAZING, and of course, must taste AMAZING too! You rightly commented that it's easy to buy, for us in this part of the world. But seriously, I'd rather have your homemade ones, any day! Way to go, Bp!! You are SOOOOO inspiring me with your "mastery" of BK making now. Hehehe...

bp said...

Thanks Jo, u r so kind, so kind! It's for the love of BK, n guess it must have brought out that sentimental me, haha! Hey, just glad I took that first step n thankful it worked! I was also stealing moments to catch up on how some of you are doing. Yeah, this post is dedicated to all u faraway friends, not just BK lovers :).

NomadicMom said...

Looks like real bak kwa!
Think I must learn how to make too!

crazymommy said...

Glad that you liked the recipe!! :)

Stardust said...

I'm DROOLING over that BK loads! Meimei, gimme a heart you cutie!!

Me a BK fan too!!! Wah, really craving now & I can't wait for my baby bro to bring me some quick! So happy to see your homemade ones suceed cos that means it may work at my kitchen too. Love your photo-instructions, the kids are so cute in action! I'm definitely coming back to u for advice later cos I'm not so sure on the grilling part.

And a splendid V day spread for your V ;P, darling! He's so blessed! I hope he's recovering much.. BTW, I didn't make my V-day meal lah, I gave Bear a treat, lol!

Stardust said...

P/S: A lil late but Happy V day to an angel who cares so much for us. You're a very special friend. Hugs..

Charmaine said...

Now you're tempting me to try making this. I've seen quite a few bloggers make them for CNY. Thnks!

NomadicMom said...

Eh. Do you know why must stir the bak in one direction?

bp said...

NM,
I think your boys will probably gobble up your homemade BK like they did your pineapple tarts ;D. You got my other reply?... I just stirred the ground pork in the marinade like with any meat, think should be OK.

Crazymommy,
Many thanks again for posting your yummy BK recipe! Besides the link to your post from here, I've also directed friends who don't read my blog to your site as well :).

Stardust,
*Nah* (here you go)... Meimei hands you some hearts, dear, and here are some HUGS for special you also! :) Enjoy your brother's visit and the BK!!! Much thanks always for your loving concerns and prayers for us!

Charmaine,
You're most welcome! I guess this could be a sign for you to go ahead and make it, hehe... happy BK-ing!

sting said...

ooohhh... love to give it a try too... yours look so yummy! :-)