Friday, January 28, 2011

Yum, yum!

photo (13)Kait was first to dig into these cookies she helped me whip up, that lazy, not so lazy Sunday last weekend. Yum, yum!

Our first cookies of the year!

Only because I am not springcleaning for Chinese New Year. Which is going to be a regular schoolday and workday for us here, that's my excuse ;p. If only I can muster the energy to go beyond the day-to-day cleaning -- and box away our messes! Oh well...

At least I've warmed up our oven -- hopefully for an occasional simple bake like this, that's always nice to have the help of the little one(s) :). Not just to cook meat and fish in, that's still what I use the oven for mostly. Christmas I got away with a no-bake choc fudge with peppermint candy that we were all quite happy with, and I never got round to baking those sugar cookies!

photo (19)And no, these cranberry cookies are not for CNY either; we'd eaten them up by Tues! :D

Guess I have to be thankful my children don't pine for pineapple tarts, or those melt-in-your-mouth kuih bangkit I personally crave this time of the year!

Thanks to the Internet, I'm enjoying (vicariously) all the prep being shared in the countdown to the Rabbit Year. But minus the EXTRA hard work, hehe!

My friends in Singapore and Malaysia, and everyone everywhere gearing up for next week... I hope you are almost there!  I can smell those cookies -- whether they're storebought or you've made them fresh, batch by batch -- from way over here...
Mm mm!!!


Recipe for cranberry cookies...

I used this eggless, milkless, Raisin Puffs recipe by celebrity chef Paula Deen. Except I substituted cranberries for raisins and used the microwave to soften them in water to skip the stove-top boiling. 

The recipe yields 40+ cookies. When I got to the end in that final batch (in that second picture), I made two XL-size cookies out of the remaining dough -- just for the fun of it. 

10 comments:

Stardust said...

Ohh the aroma is leaking from your oven!! What's baking there, I feel like having one now! :P Any recipe?

Hehe, me not doing any spring cleaning too. Let's see if I can biah one in early June. :P

bp said...

Thanks Stardust! I've just found the link to this particular cookie recipe, without having to type it out from scratch... and added it to the end of the post. Check it out!

I made baked chicken drumsticks for dinner tonite... similar to the soya sauce one you've shared sometime back :).

Yah, never mind about the springcleaning. When your nesting instinct hits, you can do up the new room :), but don't overly biah yah.

stay-at-home mum said...

yum! yum! I can smell it from here too! Will give the recipe a try when I am more relaxed ... have a great lunar new year. and I Love Kait's smile in the last pic. Real cutie-pie!

bp said...

Thanks SAHM, and enjoy your coming break from your chauffering duties not just all the CNY festivities :). i love meimei's smile in that last pix also, that was why i finally added it to the post ;p

sting said...

oh look at Kait!! she's such a big girl now! and I so love the last pic... awww.... heart melt..

a workday huh? still, here's wishing you and your family happy chinese new year :-)

bp said...

Thanks Sting! Happy CNY also to you and your lovely bunch! Yah, down here where got CNY hols... envy, envy those of you who are getting at least a few days off, and i heard up to a week, wow! You enjoy the break from a regular schoolday! :)

Stardust said...

Thanks for the recipe, MUACKS! I always give an extra eye to those recipes tried out by friends, what look 'workable'. You know how sometimes books make it sound so easy right?

I'm loving that new icon pix! Said this and I'll say again, I'm envious of your youthful looks like a 20 something. Wah...

bp said...

Thanks Stardust, and if you try that recipe (with raisin or cranberry), let me know if it works for you also.

Thanks for liking that pix. But don't envy me lah, you are really youthful-looking :). Let's also stay young at heart always, yah!

NomadicMom said...

I did make pineapple tarts a couple weeks before CNY but then... they were all gobbled up within 3 days!

The next time you go back to Singapore, you should get some traditional kuih bangkit moulds... they might not be available in a few more years.

bp said...

NM,
Wow, those pineapple tarts must be so yummy, I would have gobbled them up too! :D

Thanks for the heads-up on the moulds. Oh no, it's another dying tradition... i hope not. Those morsels are to die for!