Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Starting to sink in

In a couple of months, St Louis would have been our home for five years. And our little boy Ben who was just a 2.5-month-old baby when we came here, is the first to miss this place already.

It happened over dinner, when Vern had to let him and Jon know we would have to give Josh and Mr C up for adoption. Josh and Mr C are our two hermit crabs I took the boys to the pet shop to buy last summer. Never mind Jon and Ben admitted that they hardly took care of them. That was when the crying started, and Ben bawled his eyes out.

But it wasn't just about the little critters.

"I will miss my friends...

"I will miss my school...

"Can we bring our house, too?"

Every tear, every word struck a chord in me. I went to hold Ben, hold him close; Ben who is the feeling one, our warm little guy who'd come up and squeeze you tight even if he'd just met you.

Change is not easy, and I'm not a change person myself. And as I went and laid my head on the pillow last night, it's beginning to sink in for me also. Then, this morning, when I opened my mailbox, my heart sank, reading a reply from an old buddy back home that I have just shared this latest news of the family and me preparing to move to WA.

There are good reasons for heading back to Singapore. But with no job, and the current job freeze at the place there with the best fit for Vern, a lot of it is also about timing and opportunities. Being there at the right place, at the right time, among other things to consider.

I blogged about the stressful job search awhile back, and for how buried I am in everyday stuff, did not go into the nitty gritty and did what I could to be the supportive wife. Also because for how bad the economy is, it's a tough environment out there still, there was the very scary and real possibility of not having any outcome at the end of the rigorous process.

We prayed, and so thankful for people who prayed for us, and we waited. And the doors opened.

Isn't life full of the choices we make? The decisions to a large extent are what form our lives. And I'm here today, doing what I do now as an at-home mom and housewife, not the working mother I used to be back home, because of a choice I made. And I give it my best, there are the challenges, and the good Lord takes cares of the rest.

So it will be with moving on, and we will do our best to make it work, for us and for our children. But don't think I am not sad, too, and I know my father is especially so, that we will still be halfway across the globe from him and other loved ones and dear friends such as you.

This is what I wrote back to my pal, and I write it here also because great friendships are so hard to come by:

Please do not stop being in touch with me. I cherish our friendship, and yours being here for me. I know it's going to be hard, but I look forward to being able to meet up again when either of us can visit each other soon.

In the meantime, we still have much to do, much to prepare for what lies ahead.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, BP. I am praying and thinking of you often. Wish I were closer so I could help in some way. Hang in there and cling on to the Lord for strength each and every day.
-fay

bp said...

Thank you Fay for your love and prayers always. God bless!

stay-at-home mum said...

Its going to be tough on you and the kids with the change initially, but you will be fine!!

Old friends' will still be here supporting you all the way ... if only thru words and prayers!

Wang Tai Tai - 王太太 said...

I am not a change person either. The kids will adapt...kids usually do. Difficult as it may seem, know that wherever the Lord takes you, there He will be too.

kat said...

It's been that long eh? Now that I think about it, I've been here for almost 2 years now.

I guess we have to go where opportunities take us. Sometimes I feel bad about leaving our aged parents too, knowing that we will not be back anytime in the near future. But having said that, I feel change is good. It's like spring cleaning - good to go through all our stuff and get rid of unwanted clutter!

Washington State eh? Way out in the west coast? Nearer to SEA, no? If we ever make it to Calgary, we will definitely pay you a visit!!

slavemom said...

Poor Ben. I guess St Louis is the oni home he knows. Well, changes r inevitable sometimes, esp when u're trying to give ur family a better life. Opportunity doesn't come knocking often so we'll hv to grab it when it presents itself. U don't hv to explain the choices u make, u know what's best for the family. Take things one step at a time (as wat u're doing now). *hugz*

AC said...

I agree with you totally!
Life is about making our own choices - different folks, different strokes. Be happy. I believe things will work out wonderfully for you and your family because you are working hard on it.

Anonymous said...

BP, I agree with you totally that life is about making our own choices - different folks, different strokes. I believe that this change will open a new and wonderful chapter for you and your family because you believe and therefore it becomes reality.
Aileen

Daiquiri said...

I just wanted to drop you a word of encouragement - my family moved a LOT (about every 2 years) when I was a child. Although there was stress and fear and plenty of tears...I always thought that moving brought me to a better place. Our family became very close to go through that together, and I became a strong and independent adult.

You'll do great. You prayed, you waited, you listened. You're in good, strong, capable hands.

Blessings to you during this big change,
Daiquiri

Yan said...

I also moved from place to place while young. It was difficult, especially having to leave old friends, old ways of life, old things of sentimental values...

Mum and dad were always there to assure that something never change - the family and Abba above.

It will be alright, bp.

And soon, they shall have new friends and building more memories.

God's blessings on Easter to you and all.

bp said...

SAHM, WTT, Kat, Slavemom, Aileen, Daiquiri, and Yan,

Many thanks my dear friends for your words of encouragement, and for stopping to care and share from your own experiences and perspectives. Much appreciated!

Kat - yes, next to Seattle and must tell when you're in the area!

Stardust said...

BP dear, thank you for your sharing.

Me not a change person either, I just pray that God with His unchanging love, prepares your family and your hearts for this new door, and may all be well.

Take heart, it's alright to feel emotional, let's allow our Father to soothe us while He moves us on. My blessings are with you and your loved ones. =)

bp said...

Thank you, my dear Stardust, and you be blessed, so blessed by our Abba Father!=)

J.H said...

Changes are always difficult, but that's what can makes people come as gold :-) I hope God give you and your family strength to stay together no matter where, what and when.

Priscilla said...

Hi BP, I can see your situation is not an easy one to handle at times. But I also believe that in time to come, things will improve, children will adapt, settle into a new environment, and slowly you and family will also settle into a new routine. I will keep you in my thoughts and always be thinking of you!

bp said...

JH and Priscilla,
Thanks, thanks for caring!

stay-at-home mum said...

BTW - cant you bring the pets along? Its only interstate, not?

NomadicMom said...

In this bad economic times, we'll have to move wherever the job is. The thought of constant moving is scary and stressful BUT I think the thought of NO income is SCARIER! Don't you think?

I always feel that no matter where we go; as long as the family is TOGETHER, it'll be okay. Of course there'll still be the worry of adapting to new environment...and loads of other stuff. BUT I guessed we'll have to take things in our stride.

We don't know if we will stay for another year or what. Move to another country? Go Home? It's all quite uncertain. I consciously tell myself that there is NO point worrying.... Worrying is not going to answer my questions. So...will just wait and see....

Anyway, GOOD LUCK in Selling the House!

bp said...

SAHM,
I think can, but aquarium is hard to transport, so we thought it would be a better idea for the critters to have a new home here instead.

Nomadic Mom,
Thanks for sharing, and I can relate to what you are saying. This is our only place now, and even if we were heading back home, we have to start from scratch for just about everything. So, adjust and adapt, yah, and all the best to you too wherever you go!