What about to the children, when you ask them to lay the table, and to pick up their toys, and they answer back, "But that's what you do, mommy!"?!!
Tell me, I have not spoilt them...*breathe in* *breathe out*!
I grabbed some lovely but seldom available gingko nuts, fresh and vacuum-sealed from the refrigerated section of the Asian grocery store. Same trip, always with Kait in tow, I had 15 min to "breeze" in and out to buy a sack of rice and everything else, on the way to drive Ben home from school, Jon was ending later, and in-between, Kait would need to nurse. Then, whilst preparing dinner, I popped the gingko nuts into the slow cooker with whatever ingredients might work for this nice big pot of "cheng teng". In this case, pre-soaked white fungus, and longan and red dates (oh, never mind already I didn't make tea with them earlier). The rock sugar I forgot, and substituted with brown sugar.
Cheng teng, good old cheng teng! It worked well for a rare supper that night, and Vern liked it chilled for dessert the next day. As for Jon and Ben, they are big longan fans.
There are other food and dessert you can use gingko nuts with, but I chose cheng teng because it is my favourite hawker centre dessert. As a little girl, I'd gladly have it nine out of 10 times when my father would take the family to eat fishball noodles, my other comfort food!
But now, to the husband's kind offer of the laundry basket, I had to tell him, "Thanks, but no thanks,". Figuring it's still better for me to conquer the mountain loads one at a time.
One load, one day at a time, that's always more manageable!
P.S. This post does not diminish how much I appreciate the husband's help with the children and as and when he can with the chores that (oh well) are more all in a day's work for me the HOUSE-wife. But my guess is he's not alone in being the practical husband, coming up with pragmatic solutions when he can't be there to help. No?

12 comments:
How about a "his" and "hers" basket. Those in his basket,he will help with that laundry ... so that will give you some breathing space.
But I think to clear a little everyday is better than a ginormous load once in 3!!
Hope the cheng thng cools you down ... esp with the home work!!
Yo yo!! You make me miss cheng teng so much!!
I gasp at how fast (and big) your children grow, along comes the elevating challenges. Can't offer any advice but yeah, me pray wisdom for BP! =) Hugs...
And the answer to what do you say when he offers to buy you a another laundry basket?
Well my reply would be: "I think we can save the money. How about you help me with the laundry instead so that the basket will not overflow!!"
Hahahah.. *high 5* welcome to the where-mum-does-everything club! I have actually taken to asking my girl to write lines on the things she is supposed to do, am so tired of asking her to do the same thing over and over again!! (Can I get DH to write lines as well?!)
The other day, I was just musing out loud whether we should get another rectangular laundry basket for clean folded laundry. Luckily he said the more baskets I get, the more laundry I will accummulate! Scrapped that idea immediately!! :D
oh this is my fav too :-) hoping the daily chores dont get to you.. I'm having challenges with just 1 kid and you have 3! :-)
SAHM, Stardust, Kat, Sting,
Every time I look at those ginormous loads, like today I have to start the week with 2 loads coz I skipped yesterday, I feel like crying! Better contain them into one laundry basket!
The husband once in a very blue moon will help me fold the clean ones... it worked one time when I told him what another wife wrote in a parenting magazine... get a load of this:
She asked, how come her husband can jump across a laundry basket to get the TV remote control, but miss the clothes completely?!
LOL! (my sentiments exactly).
I'm sure with Vern, it's one of those rare moments u roll ur eyes at his suggestions. Coz from wat I c (reading here), he's a vy hands-on n helpful dad. Btw, yummy dessert there!
I hate doing the laundry too!
I mean you can escape sweeping/mopping the floor a day or two... But the laundry? One day "bo cho", and it'll be mountain high!!
Maybe you can get boys/hubs to wear their clothes more than a day....especially those "house clothes"...not dirty mah.
How to make Cheng Teng? Just dump all ingredients in? Easy as that?
Slavemom,
Hehe, I appreciate v much the husband's help with the children, and every bit of help he can give with the chores... but knowing he is strapped for time, I do as much as I can... and I am pengsan!
Nomadic Mom,
Got, recycle "at home" clothes, and already I spread out bedsheets to change some at a time... but u know how quickly it piles up still! Floor ah, I only vacuum once a week now, and use the Swiffer mop... bo-bian!
Yes, my lazy version of the cheng Teng is dump everything into crockpot... done in 3+ hours! Try it too? =)
cheng teng, something that I had never seen again since I left singapore. Now I kind of missed it's sweetness and chill factor :-) truly refreshing.
J.H,
Maybe you can make your own? Agree, chilled is nice! =)
Umm, with the laundry, I can only suggest everybody to get in and help. We have lots of laundry every week, and I refuse to do it all myself. So I sort the laundry, turn the machine on, my husband hangs out the laundry and take them in. On a Sunday night, we all, including the kids all sit down to fold the laundry together. JD must fold all his underpants, socks and some simple stuff like singlets/shorts. Then, each bring their clean n folded laundry into their room, and I will check if the kids have either just 1. anyhow stuffed into their drawer or 2. follow my instruction of putting them into the right drawer of pants, shirts and etc. It is worth training the boys and man of the house to help in this chore, becoz one day they will need to use these skills too :) Afterall a household needs everybody to turn the wheels together and not just mum alone!
Post a Comment