Friday, January 16, 2009

From 0C to 0F

The top story of the miraculous crashlanding of the plane in one piece into the Hudson river, is something not to be taken for granted. So is staying safe and snug in this cold snap...

Two days ago now, Wednesday was when temperatures plunged. From around freezing point (0C) that morning when Vern went off, by a few degrees every hourly, to 0F (-18C) by middle of the night. That night, Jon and Ben put aside their differences and went to sleep huddled together on the same bed. For extra warmth!

The saving grace is, it's less windy in the day. Road conditions are normal, and many schools stay open. Kait remains my faithful companion, driving the boys to school and back. And I can't be more thankful for parking garages, so we're bolstered from the cold. Also, it's very kind of the chess teacher to drive Jon home last evening after a tournament that I was going to have him skip, sparing us another trip out after picking up Ben first -- not in this deep freeze if we can help it.

Inside our home, our radiators are turned up, and the furnace comes on whenever temperatures dip below comfortable. We are also beating the cold with such simple warm comforts as hot cocoa, that was Ben's perfect excuse to have marshmallows, and beef stew, for which Jon asked for thirds though I'd accidentally upped the heat with more black pepper than usual!

One hot meal, one day at a time, the extreme weather will let up soon. Thank YOU for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers during this time that Vern is away! I really appreciate it.

And trying to keep my cool...
The old challenge remains though: why does it feel harder to keep my cool than for us to keep warm? Seems every time I turn my back, either one of the boys is going "WAAAAA!!!" or "OWWWWW!!!" over something the other boy has done to him. It's hard not to intervene, someone's going to get very hurt! And no, children don't like to do as they are told. But yes, it happens to Vern, too; why, our kids are fair, just not mom and dad. *sigh*

Hopefully, the next two days before their daddy comes back, Jon and Ben can agree more or less on what things to do within the four walls of home, and Kait can still nap a little, amidst all the pandemonium that her crying does not drown out!

A quick update, and catching a breather here. Kait's just gone down for a nap... ssshhh...

And you didn't hear it from me...
Who's the loudest of them all?

According to Jon, as he wrote in his homework the other day...
- Daddy is... he is like a T-Rex! (And I just had to ask Jon, "You mean, like: RRROARRR?!!" ;p). *
- Followed by... Ben when he is restless.
- Then, this mom... (I'm surprised, only third in running?) Still, loud enough for Jon to compare me to a microphone!
- And Kait, though her crying is LOUD!


* Truth is, Vern isn't that loud, only when he's really driven up the wall =(. But it does feel like one has to run this place as if it's the military, to be heard!
Maybe those of you in the "spare the rod, and spoil the child" camp, can send me one from back home? *takes a deep breath* *more deep breaths now*

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello BP,

Just wanted to drop you a quick note to let you know I'm thinking and praying for you. I can totally relate to the freezing rain, sleet and crazy cold temperatures, though I think you have it worse where you are. I will be praying for safety, courage, energy and an extra ounce of grace for you towards the boys, and for the boys towards each other.
Hugs,
fay

Jo said...

I'll send you a rotan, if you want. :)

Take care BP. Don't sweat over the small stuff. Next time the boys annoy you, just ask them to go into separate rooms and tell them specifically that they are not to come out from the rooms for the next 2 hours. And keep repeating it, lengthening the time if need be.

And no tv for a specific amount of time too... until they get it.

stay-at-home mum said...

Just hang on ... Vern will be home soon!

You know, when he is not around, all that fighting could just be because they want your attention (now that there is less to go around). Sometimes by just ignoring it, it will go away by itself. If all else dont work, the cane definitely does help! Make it hurt the 1st time, and subsequently, you only need to take it out!! You really sure you want me to send one??

To keep warm, make more soups.

It has been pretty windy here in the little red dot this past week too! At my regular newstand, newspapers were not for sale coz they were all messed by the wind!

And guess what? In my home, i think I am the loudest - shouting to tell them all to keep quiet!

Stay warm and be blessed!

NomadicMom said...

Waaaaa... - 18 deg C is mightly cccccccold!!!
I dread to imagine the freezing air. Used to hate the winters when my nose and ears would be so cold that I can't feel them!

As for the boys fighting...Sometimes, I get so fed-up, I just tell them to each take a weapon and fight each other to death! So only one remains.
And at this point, both of them will INSTANTLY BEHAVE.

bp said...

Fay,
Amen to everything you're praying for us, thanks v much, and I hope you guys are keeping warm! Hugs for you too!

Jomel,SAHM, Nomadic Mom,
Noted your tips and tricks, and will put them to good use! My boys think my improvised spanker is a joke tho', coz not painful at all =(.

But you're right, with one person less to give them the attn, I'd better conserve my energy, not "saihei" on the little things. Thanks!

sting said...

hahaha.. you sure makes it sound so funny!! yes, my kid is very loud too and I had to be louder to be heard and even so, he still ignores me!! so I can imagine you with 2 boys! hats off to you! :-)

how's cny celebration going to be? happy new year ya!

Anonymous said...

Hi BP,
Just read the comments on the "rod". Yes, I agree that it need to hurt each time, otherwise, they'll think its a joke. I'm sad to say K is so strong willed that he'll still keep doing the things he gets spanked for ... I just keep telling myself that I need to be consistent ... I don't use a "ten tiao". My improvisation is the rice paddle ... my dad's comment when he found out was >" aiyo why use the rice paddle, next time he eat rice also scared!". anyway, just my 2 cts worth. hang in there, my friend.
-fay

Stardust said...

Hey babe, hope that all's fine now that your hubs back. Be praying that the Lord gives you wisdom on your problems.

Quite another, the Bear's 'philosophy' actually. He said that annoying kids is a form of blessing. It means that they are fit, healthy, and thinking.

bp said...

Sting,
Nothing really happening for CNY, and I'm just trying to scoop messes off our floor! *exasperated mom-look* It's just not the same here, what with it being a normal schoolday, but we will meet up with fellow S'poreans for makan!

Fay,
Thanks for checking in! Hehe, mine's the plastic spatula, the spatula end. You're right -- consistency is the key, but so hard, especially since I didn't start out that way. And I know exactly what you mean by strong-willed and stubborn (read: hard to break)! God be our guide, yah!

Stardust,
Agree with Bear, but can be v sapping too. I hope you're having a great time in home sweet home!