Thursday, December 4, 2008

From leaves to snow

Each day rolls so quickly into the next, the crisp autumn air has given way to the colder weather now.

And before the last leaves have fallen, the first snow has arrived!

Below: Same spot last month...
Nov 08 ii 080 sNov 08 ii 072 s... when the leaves were falling like crazy, and Vern, with a little help from the boys, had raked them into this big heap!

And yes, this is the kind of "work" Jon's happy to be buried in!

Jon's style -- to do as little as possible in the looooooongest time, is the opposite of mine. So you can imagine the power struggles between us, whenever he drags his feet with even the simplest homework! *sigh*


But this is one of those things, like the other familiar stuff that if he and Ben can just do it without having to put up a fight first, it'll reduce everyone's stress trying to get our act together every day.

Also, because at 3+ months old, Kait is still not napping well, crying to be carried the moment I lay her down, and come bedtime, hasn't stopped me guessing if the last feed will really be the one that'll give us that much coveted one stretch of 3h sleep.

Very pooped, and I may not figure this baby sleep thing out (*waaaaaah!!!*), but do look forward to when these "dark(er)" nights and days will pass! Meanwhile, trying not to overwhelm myself by keeping to the basics more than ever now.

My latest tools of the trade aka sanity aids include:

- A baby carrier...
A lookalike of the ergo one, but at a third of the price, it's not bad. It spreads out the weight better than the sling, and still frees my hands for quick chores and errands, carrying Kait around. I call her my lil 'Roo now!

- Reward charts...
For lack of a better idea, and do share if you have alternatives, we're back to using these to encourage Jon and Ben to do those really basic things expected of them. Such as our morning, afterschool, and bedtime routines, that it shouldn't have to take having baby Kait to realise they haven't grasped =(.

and

- A slow cooker!
Such one-pot wonders do help me get one thing out of the way, with Vern needing to work late more often now. After going with Kait to drive Jon and Ben back, our seemingly straightforward afterschool homework-dinner-bath-bedtime whole works is especially challenging when the boys aren't cooperative, and the baby is wailing for my attention all at the same time.


Left: Our simple turkey breast dinner on Thanksgiving Day. It was my birthday and we'd eaten out the day before. So I made this slow-cooked version (
click here for the recipe), with a bit of tweaking based on the reviewers' suggestions. Works well, and especially if you don't need to roast a whole bird in the oven.

Right, and below: Vern, Kait, and I got to join Ben and his classmates and their families, too, for a nice Thanksgiving feast in school.

Thanksgiving Day was a timely reminder for me not to let these rough post-baby moments, and the boys' testing of limits, get in the way of my counting our blessings. And every extra thing we manage each day, by God's grace, is a bonus!

Thank you, old and new friends for your support, and also for reminding me that giving thanks should not be restricted to the thanksgiving season, and that we shouldn't lose sight of the stuff that really matters!

And you know, while my children are still young, I am aware that the baby years, and that precious children's innocence, do go by as fast as the changing of the seasons. Already, celebrating Jon's birthday last month -- back up one post for my belated entry, he tells me his latest ambition is to be a teen!

P.S. Me sitting here doesn't mean I'm on top of things. Far from it! Doing as much as I can, but among other things, there's clutter and more clutter, and clothes and more clothes to iron since Kait's birth that I have not got round to, and meanwhile, ironing them on an entirely needs-basis only. Where got time, not to mention the energy?! I'm neither the Energizer bunny nor Iron Man. And no kidding when I say there's a lot more mess than for what a neatnik I am NOT, I can ordinarily take =(.

But that's the only way. And blogging sparingly, though always love to keep in touch -- because it helps KEEP ME SANE!

11 comments:

Yan said...

So the slow cooker comes handy! I was thinking of getting one for some stew or healthy cooking! Must look for one with your inspiration.

bp, you are doing alright! I can't imagine myself running around like what you are doing now!

And it's certainly rewarding to watch the children grow and be there in every magical moments. We were having some fun in Kota Kinabalu and while having dinner, Rachel asked why I do not put on make-up. I jokingly replied that because she was such a curious child that she practically mixed all my liquid skin care products and drew using my lipsticks that I had to clear my dressing table! Chris was quick to add in that he remembered at one time Rachel opened up a bottle of capsuled medicine of mine and had the powder inside all over the place and mummy said this, Chris remembers, "If you are curious, just open up one and see, not the whole bottle!" Ha, ha, I really thought last night that I could still be quite well composed in a situation like that!

It's rewarding - to watch them grow. And soon, we just have to let go! Rachel is ready to fly in a month's time - for her dreams!

Jo said...

i'm sorry, I just kept being distracted by the photos of Kait.. I love her.. she is so lovely!!!

you are doing really great Bp. Look at their happy faces! How can they be so happy without a capable mummy like you who takes care of their every needs, who are strong in the face of their demands, and still be their pillar! You are a wonderful mother and no doubt, wife! *hugs*

slavemom said...

Happy Belated Birthday to u, bp! Ur lil 'Roo is super cute! And as for Jon's ambition, he's gonna achieve it real soon. :)

NomadicMom said...

Happy Belated Birthday to you and Jon!!!

I cannot imagine that despite all the chores, caring for baby, and you still put in the effort to bake a cake, plus cupcakes for school!! Superwoman lah you...

stay-at-home mum said...

Kait is sooooo cute!

Use anything you can that can make your life a little easier. U deserve it!!

Jo said...

oh.. Sorry Bp, I missed the part about your birthday. Happy birthday!! We are entitled to celebrate for the entire month! hahhaa... Happy birthday Bp. May you and your family receive abundant joy (and sleep). *hugs*

sting said...

happy belated birthday! having 4 seasons is really fun ya :-) at least the kids get to have some play... do take good care and don't worry to much about the mess.. we all have it :-)

Stardust said...

Tight hugs...

To think that you take time to reaasure me even when your hands are full!!

I'm praying that the Lord helps you in many ways, even beyond our requests... There's so much that you need!! Praying for good children and Kait's normal sleep pattern.

Wish I could do something for you!! But dear, know that I'm here, I'm here for you too and anytime when you need me!

Kait's looks are changing so quickly. Now she's looking more like Jon than Ben! =D

His angels be with you..

bp said...

Yan,
All the best to Rachel, thanks for your "letting go" post! The slow cooker helps but I try not to use it days in a row, as the boys don't always dig stews and braised-this-n-that... more of an "acquired" (more grownup) taste, I guess, and one boy especially is not into gravy, not even spaghetti sauce, and will choose to go hungry than eat it!

Jomel,
Thanks for your encouragement and overly kind words... maybe next time I should post those crazy moments when this mommy is screaming/crying along with the screaming/crying kids, just part of our everyday chaos! Thanks for taking the trouble to come back with your b'day wishes... was inspired by your post that birthdays are good, and I should be happy I'm a year older ;p

Slavemom,
Thanks. Slow down some on Jon becoming a teen... already I don't take the talking back v well.

Nomadic Mom,
Thanks for your b'day wishes. But no, not trying to be some super woman. But think you know what I mean, that us mommies, and especially when we stay home, we try and make the cupcakes or some other treat for our kids for school.

SAHM,
Thanks. Yes, anything for our sanity, yah!

Sting,
Thanks. The seasons, and the beauty of each one of them, really helps me breathe in, breathe out!

Stardust,
Thanks, and your prayers are most appreciated! *hug you tightly back* You're in my thots n prayers also!

Wang Tai Tai - 王太太 said...

Sorry for being so tardy. I've been reading but never getting around to leaving comments and telling you how beautiful all your children are. You are blessed indeed. :)

bp said...

Wang Tai Tai,
Thanks, no worries, and you have a great weekend coming up with your lovely family!