I knew there was some reason why we parents sometimes refer to our children as monkeys! ;p
Before long, Jon had swung his way to the scouts' summer camp -- one whole week, no phones allowed, and a 4h drive quite far away in the next state!
It was the longest time and furthest he'd stayed away from home. The hardest part for me was the no communications with him at all, unless you count the mass email that another parent there sent to let us know the campers were well.
There was that empty feeling. Mealtimes I found myself doling out food and praying for this son to be eating well. The hubby was stifling a laugh when I went, "This is torturous!" by midweek. Meimei also was asking for him, "Where's Jon? I miss him!". Younger brother, too, although not admitting it, said it was the most boring day ever -- even after I'd taken them out to play and play.Kait helped me make a cute paper-plate snake card to mail to Jon, wishing him a SSSSSuper fun time at camp. Ben agreed that we should add, "Beware of snakes!" because of the roughing it out not just fun his brother was up for ;p.
"I'll be right back!"
Finally Day 7 came, and Jon returned -- tanned, tired, and thought he would win the "most injured camper" award! The Montana waters were terribly chilly, but that also did not stop him from giving the camp a 10/10!
Glad he did it, and really thank God for His protection. The hypothermia, and Jon also survived quite the bump on his head from a flying rock. He also slid and fell from a tree, and had other cuts and scrapes from more adventures we were excited to hear, not just eager to feed him dinner.
He really enjoyed the different and more outdoor opportunities than he got to do on weekend campouts, "It was sweeeeeet! I swam, kayaked, shot rifles, climbed trees and went on nature hikes!". The summer campout was also not without more roughing it out (the toilet was in the bushes), and learning to take care of himself.
The things to toughen our children up. And I guess us moms, too. There was Yan's reminder to "let go, let God" watch over them when we can't be there, and the support from you faraway friends, that helped me hang in there till Jon got back.
Only then could I say, the week has flown by! ;p
("I'll be right back!" has got to be my fave phrase last week, of all the phrases my youngest has picked up from her two brothers. And this one happened to be from Jon. The up-on-the-tree picture was from May.).


5 comments:
Funny, I never missed my kids when they went to camp or on their school trips. 3 to 10days days wasnt going to hurt me. I thought of them, but not to the extend like my hubs who wanted to drive to the campsite just for a look, even tho' he knew we wouldnt be able to see anyone or anything from the outside. And I convinced him that it wasnt necessary. Yes, they were included in our prayers during their absence, but with two others that kept me occupied, I never really "missed" them. Could it be my lack of motherly instincts? :P
SAHM,
You are such a loving mother, can't be the lack of motherly instincts. Guess I was being paranoid 'coz of the roughing it out, more days than the ones he had done b4 when I was not thinking of him as much. Plus it was so far away, and the no comms, I couldn't have possibly driven there even if I wanted to, hehe!
Thank you for always for being here for me with your e-hugs and support,much appreciated!
YAYS to the ranger being home and mommy finally gets to rest her heart. I can imagine how you've spilled that ' This is torturous '. :P Thank God, he's home and survived the many injuries, that makes a boy an inch closer to manhood?
I dread the day I come to know what it's all about - letting go and let God. :P
Gosh I must say that height on the tree needs some nerves to even look at!
I miss Joji even when she's gone out with her friends to a mall in the neighbourhood! Hahaha, wonder if she ever thinks of me whenever she's out there with her friends? But I guess it's normal. I read somewhere that it also means they (our kids) feel secure enough of our love and confident enough of themselves to enjoy time out on their own despite being away from their parents. And that is a step towards growing up. :)
Errr... I never miss my kids when they went on their Residentials too. In fact, I kinda enjoy a little peace and quiet in the house. :-)
But this year, I have to admit that I was a little bit more cautious and apprehensive.... more because of the incident that happened in S1's Residential trip last year... when a girl was lost. :-(
Anyway, glad that Jon had fun. I have to say that such trips are necessary to toughen our kids. These days, we protect them so much that they are such softies!
Post a Comment