Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Water babies

At the different pool the boys ended their swim lessons, Kait got a chance at the water, too!

This is how Kait will bring me for a walk in the shallowest part...
samsung aug'09 064samsung aug'09 103
Am holding her with one hand, while my other hand clicks the cellphone for these quick shots (couldn't resist; it was Kait's first time wading in the pool).

Kait's thinking: Hmm... which way shall I go?
samsung aug'09 104

Or does it really matter? You tell me, mommy!
samsung aug'09 102

And here's why it may not be a good idea to just go with the flow all the time. While I do give in (and my problem could be giving in too easily), I'm learning that children in fact need us parents to set limits for them. Besides that this mom also needs to make better judgment calls!

After their swim lessons, the boys come over and tell me to let go of the little girl, so they can "swim" with her for a bit. I do (since I'm in t-shirt and shorts, and can't really take her for a dip), Jon has a nice grip on her, and...

Away they go!
samsung aug'09 106

Then, less than a minute later...
samsung aug'09 107
UH-OH!

No, wasn't trying to be the cool mommy, and the whole time, I'd stayed in the water with them. Still, almost dropped my phone in when Kait got dunked! She had swallowed more than she bargained for, but was a pretty good sport about it! Wat-er relief!

(The phone camera takes pictures a sec or two after you hit the button, so everything actually still looked fine when I last clicked on it. Hadn't known till downloading the shots that this very moment had been captured, as it was happening)!

Swim here, swim there...
After over a month of swim lessons, I'm glad it's more serious swimming Jon got to do this summer than all previous ones, and Ben is also more comfy in the water.
At this last pool, Kait being able to get in on the act, albeit get very wet, is a bonus and nice change from having to steer her away from the water!


Pictures are from last month when Kait was 1 year 1 week old. Since then, the children have done more splish-splashing around, and Kait is always in on the fun, too.

6 comments:

Charmaine said...

A close call for all. Glad to see Kait is fine. What a trooper!

NomadicMom said...

Wah. I guessed if you would have seen that she got dunked there and then, you probably would have panicked max!

Stardust said...

Timely shot! Kait looks brave! ;)

Jo said...

haha.. children (mine at least) just love being in the pool!

It's true BP what you said, about setting limits. I sometimes allow my kids choices but I learnt too that even these choices have to be limited, rather than "anything goes" kind of choices, know what I mean.

slavemom said...

Hope Kait wudn't hv any fear of water becoz of that incident. Btw, she looks really sweet in that colourful swimsuit.

bp said...

thanks everyone for coming by.

nomadic mom, it did happen right b4 me n had to react quickly, after all she's so little still. boys think this mommy gets overly anxious, but better be super kan cheong, right?

jomel, *nod, nod* i know what u mean, n had read somewhere that kids are best challenged creatively when we set limits... coz if it's anything goes n no boundaries, what kind of challenge is that to them? but of course if we ask the kids, mine definitely want the anything goes! i'm learning, still learning...