Thursday, September 17, 2009

Car accident... thankful we're OK

Sunday evening, Vern was driving when our car was hit by an SUV going past the red light. The impact caused our vehicle to spin around, and the fender from the SUV had come off and looked like it was flying straight at us, along with some shards of glass (could be from its headlights), at the same time Vern's glasses flew off his face! It was really scary, to say the least!

The children were all crying from being jerked abruptly, and shaken up, too, from everything that had happened so quickly. The door next to Jon would not budge -- it had been rammed in, and the wheel on that side, too. He was slightly dizzy and hurting from a small abrasion and bump on his forehead, otherwise, was alert enough to get out from the other side, together with Ben. Kait was still wailing away when I carried her out of her carseat; good thing Vern had got her this well-padded one before the move, it probably cushioned her from the whiplash. The SUV driver and passenger were not hurt. I found it odd though that the driver did not even stick her head out to ask how we were doing. Her vehicle could still be driven, but not ours -- it had to be towed away.

Just really thank God everyone came out OK from the accident, so thankful for His protection. It was also very nice of complete strangers who stopped to care, and Vern's kind colleague who came and drove us home, then drove Vern and Jon to the hospital to have Jon examined.

After the initial shock...
we talked and prayed over it with the boys, and they are more or less themselves. It helps that there is the schoolbus now we started them taking. And zoom! off they go in the yellow bus -- in the morning for Jon, and after lunch for Ben. The walking with Kait to ferry them to and from the bus-stop is definitely more manageable, compared to the driving between home and school several times a day I had to do these last few years, that does drive me quite crazy! I know, better enjoy the bus service and break from chauffeur duty while we still have not started the boys on some afterschool activities. And I'm going to avoid driving on that busy road.

Afternote: Thanks all for your concern. There's the follow-up and red tape with the insurance to deal with, that good Vern sees to amidst his busy week of meetings and deadlines. He subsequently also found the clinic (more red tape there) that would look at his stiff neck and muscles. I'm easing my way back to driving. Even with him behind the wheel of the rental car, I'm keeping a constant lookout -- much more than is necessary -- for any vehicle that may suddenly swerve into our path! Kait also is waking up many more times crying away in the nights and much harder soothe; hopefully it's just plain old clinginess she'll eventually grow out of.

10 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

I am so glad to hear that you are all ok. Thank the Lord!!

Yan said...

Thank God for the protection! He is really awesome!

Morning's Light said...

Praise God for the protection over your family. It must have been scary for everyone. Have a good and peaceful rest this weekend.

slavemom said...

So glad to hear no one's seriously injured. But the abrupt jerk are no fun either. Hope ur car will be ready soon. Can be rather inconvenient w/o one.

Jo said...

My heart skipped a beat. Thank God you are all fine!! He is watching over you and your famiy BP. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

BP:
So glad to hear that everyone is safe. We had been in a similar accident a few years back when I was preggers with Caleb ... but not to the extent of yours ... I can only imagine how scary it was for everyone, esp. the kids. I will continue to pray that things go back to "normal" for the kids and for them not to be traumatized by it all.
So thankful to hear you are getting abit of a break from shuttling the boys to and from school. Hope you are enjoying one on one time with Kait too, when you are. I can't wait till school starts to be able to do that with Caleb.
Take care.
-fay

bp said...

Thanks my dear ladies for your concern and hugs, and thank the Lord indeed for keeping everyone involved in the accident safe. God bless u n yours too!

Stardust said...

That's really scary to hear but thank God your family is ok! I'm shocked to hear that the driver didn't even check you guys out. =(

May His angels travel with you always, smooth and safe.

bp said...

Thanks Stardust! Apparently, other party has no insurance... so they are off the hook in that sense, other than being cited for beating the red light. still, we've got to be thankful that everyone of us, including them, came out safe.

God be watching over you and Bear all the time, too!

NomadicMom said...

Thank goodness that everyone is okay!

It is bad enough to be in an accident, let alone to be spinning to boot! I know how horrible that felt. H and I was involved in an accident with my S1 in the car when he was a toddler. The car spinned and knocked on the barrier on the North-South Highway. If it weren't for the car-seat...... I dread to think.