Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Mad mornings

Mornings you'll hear me say a bit more than, "Let's go!". More often than not, it's "Hurry up, we're going to be late!", if not, "Hurry up, we are late!".

The husband is a great help, getting Ben ready, and Jon as far along in the process. All this while I'm heating up their lunches to pack into thermos jars and insulated bags, getting water-bottles and juiceboxes ready, and preparing a simple breakfast that we always just end up eating on-the-go, whether we are early or running late, and whether one or both boys have school.

But Jon, and he's not the only one who isn't a morning person, can be quite the dawdler and will be dragging his feet to get out of bed, to go wash up, and now that it's winter and with more to put on (cap, gloves and all, besides the layers), the dressing up part takes even loooooonger.

The rest of us could be done 10 minutes ahead of time, and ready to head out the door, but Jon, dear Jon, he will just be putting on his socks. And then he will change his mind about whether he wants an extra layer over his attire, before he finally reaches for his coat, and sometimes forgetting his backpack, in the daze to put on his shoes! And I tell him, ditch the laced ones, go for the velcros; better yet, "Just grab your shoes, and wear them on the way!"!

Running late again this morning, because Jon wasn't budging when he should, I tried not to be switching lanes, what with traffic now heavier since the closure of a major highway, and more vehicles diverted to the main road outside our place, and using the highway we always take to school as their detour route.

"You know, Jon," I heard myself say to him, and Ben who was right beside Jon, driving as quickly as I could but still keeping to the speed limit, "I do not want to be driving dangerously, just because you take your own sweet time, and we still have to try and get to school on time." Rather a tardy slip from the school office for lateness, than a speeding ticket or more to be sorry about.

But I resisted turning it into a pep talk, for that wouldn't have been the best way for the boys nor me to start our day. Not that I haven't said enough already. At the supermarket on my own after that, I was asking myself if I had been curt, whilst trying to cool down and take a few deep breaths! But this should not have to happen day after day.

What will you do? How do you get your family out of the door in the morning, without having to always rush them or yourself, and especially the one(s) who's never in a hurry to go anywhere?

Should I wake Jon up as early as when I hit the showers? Whether or not he wakes up early or at the usual time, I've realized though, he will take as long as he can to get ready. But I do not want to have to turn something as basic as this into a bribery of sorts (or call it by some nicer-sounding name), although at one point when Jon was younger, getting ready for school was something to aim for on his rewards chart. Neither would I want to turn it into some punishment, having (or threatening) to remove this privilege or that. Is there no other way? Stuff that we can get ready the night before, we already are doing, like what to wear, chosen and set aside ahead, and backpacks lined up near the door, to grab and go!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son oso lidat ler, so clueless about what time we have to be out the door or else will be late, so one day i so tired of being kancheong for him late to skool, i told him from today onward i will gip you a kitchen timer, u set it to go off at the time when we have to leave or else you will be late, first few time timer go off briiiiinnngggg lidat he still clueless, so arrive skool late, one time or two time nia now he is the one hurrying me out the door in the morning :D

stay-at-home mum said...

I am also one of those that hates being late. I always tell my kids that they ned to be ready 5 mins before the actual time, so even if they are a little late, i dont have to really rush! My son is really good. As soon as his alarm goes, he is up and all set to do his morning routine. But my daughter - she is a dawdler. You have to remind her 3 times, before she gets moving - esp in the mornings.

NomadicMom said...

Think you just have to continuously "nag" everyday lah..
For me, it has become my daily ritual to repeat like a parrot.
* Get up. Get up. Get up NOW
* Start brushing your teeth already
* Change lor...
* Get your socks
* Hurry up. Eat your breakfast
* Bus is coming liow!!

I should get a tape recorder and just record all these sentences...since it is the same DAY in DAY out.

Yan said...

bp, probably a tip or two from an "old" mother - a mother who has two children, aged 17 and 12.

Telling the children the consequences of being late and having to rush. Telling the children how you feel when you have to rush. Don't talk about it while on the journey when you are rushing. It will turn out a battle instead. During bedtime stories time would be quite effective.

Children love their parents very much. They will want parents to have an easier time and be happy.

Or, try letting them taking their sweet time once and just be late to school?

In my home, Chris is the one who would sweet talk his sister into being a little early all these years. I confess I do not have that patience!

Anonymous said...

In my past experience, it does not matter if they wake up half an hour earlier, they will still dilly dally.

As they become teenagers, the problem is not just late but trying to get them out of bed as well. :) Ooops, sorry!

NomadicMom said...

bp - You've been TAGGED

bp said...

Kopi Soh, Yan,
Thanks for your tips, will try them out! I also need to learn not to always be the anxious one.

SAHM, Nomadic Mom, Judy,
So we aren't the only ones with crazy mornings, day after day! Maybe kids dillydally, so that parents can slow down some! Haha!

Anonymous said...

Hi BP,
You and your friends are probably going to think I'm a really harsh mom, but I do believe in tough love and teaching kids to make responsible choices (just like how God chooses to parent us).
This is what we do (or try to) with our 3.75 yo. We tell him that we have to leave at a certain time, then leave him to get ready and have breakfast in his own time. We tell him that the car is leaving at that time, and if you are not ready, then you will just have to go as you are (i.e. if you have not had breadfast, then so sorry, mommy and daddy is so sad that you chose not to hurry). The first time this happened, he got into a tantrum because he didn't have his socks on nor did he eat enough breakfast, but we had him walk barefoot to the car (in the winter), and brought his shoes along, and told him he'd just have to wait till morning snack at school to have something to eat again, and didn't bring anything for him to munch on in the car (like we would have previously). On the way to school, in the car, we told him (once only, though I was really tempted to give a whole pep talk) that we were sad that he had made a bad choice this morning, and that we hope he'd chose to move faster the following morning. I can't say it has worked 100%, but we have come very far from where we were previously.
We are trying to use the philosophy taken from "Parenting with Love and Logic" by Foster Cline & Jim Fay. It is about giving our kids choices within our authority (i.e. give them 2 choices in a situation), and let them live with the consequences of their choice (hard as it may be for us parents). Again, I know what I said may sound harsh, but I think it is also empowering to the child to know he can be in control of the situation, instead of being nagged at, and that we respect him enough to know he is capable of making good choices (like waking up, eating breakfast and getting dressed to go to school in time).
Hope this helps ....
-fay

bp said...

Fay,
Thanks for sharing, it definitely helps! I've read about the method you use, but you are the first person to tell me you've tried it. I've also been trying to impress on my boys, especially the older one, to make smart choices... so, that book you mentioned, I have to look it up! Yes, empower them to know how to, not cripple them by doing it on their behalf; I tend to spoonfeed my kids tho' and have to let them do it themselves!

Anonymous said...

BP,
If you do get around to reading the book, do take the examples with a grain of salt. Some of them sound rather harsh if you ask me ....
I don't know what it is about the whole "spoon-feeding" thing, maybe its just the Chinese / Singaporean way of raising kids .... I was raised that way, and I came to a point in my life where I really felt resentful of my parents because I realised I wasn't (and still am not) good at making choices on my own because I was never given the chance to. I guess now that I am a mom, I do understand why my parents did what they did and gave me a "sheltered" life. Regardless, I'm trying to do things differently partly because of my own experiences, but more so because it reflects more clearly how God is as a Father.
With you on the journey,
fay

Priscilla said...

AH morning rush, that's a common thing, I hear my neighbour screaming at their kids every morning for getting up late, one still eating toast, one trying to put a shoes on while getting in the car...

But there are ways around it.

When I used to work outside from home, I have JD's clothes all planned and lined up on his shelf from Mon to Fri. That was before he turned 3. To avoild that morning rush of myself getting ready, getting the kid realdy, breakfasts and stuff, I give myself one full hour. I jumped in the shower, he has his milk, I come out of shower, get myself ready b4 dressing JD. We have breakfast together. Every morning, we leave 7.50am sharp, 5 minutes for just buckling the child into the carseat, shut the garage and 5 mins to the daycare.

We work like army camp!

Once he turned 3, I got him involved. Put his backpack near the front door, pick the clothes he wish to wear the next day, line it up next to his bag. When he gets up in the morning, we make sure the kids TV remained off. Once he has brushed his teeth, dressed, sit down for breaky that we turned the morning kids TV.

10 minutes before we left, I would remind him "I am leaving in 5 minutes, when I take my keys, it wil be time to off the TV and go."

Children need to learn about consequences of their own actions. Sometimes it needs to be tough for them to learn. The experience can be because of their forgetfulness that they may have left their homework at home...well, too bad, they need to be responsible for their own actions and bear the consequences.

As parents, we need to give them that opportunutiy to learn from experience. Say it once twice, I am sure they have heard it, anything more than that becomes a nag to them...

I say remind him once just 5-10 minutes before leaving, and then just go...be firm, be in control, don't feel bad, you are just training him to be more organised and it will be a very imprtant life skill in the future.

bp said...

Fay,
Thanks for your additional comments. Agree we want to give them the best, and tough love can be quite a bit harder to give than being the protective parent. With you on the journey, my friend =)

Priscilla,
Thanks for sharing how you get off to a nice start every day. For our own routine, I'm just sad and tired that though it has gone on these years, yet, it's not taken seriously by the laidback child. Maybe it's his personality, and more so, I should see this as a wake-up call for me -- to be firmer, to see through consequences.