Monday, January 14, 2008

Less haste, more speed

How are you doing? Thanks for dropping me a line! Here's a long update, to make up for me going MIA for a bit longer than usual!

School resumed, that's right, a week ago, and we're back to our whir of activities! But like these pretty primrose that bloomed at the start of the year, and other times leaves you waiting and waiting, I'm trying not to be in such a hurry all the time!

Jan 08 ii 022 Jan 08 ii 019

I'm back to packing lunchboxes, yes, but hopefully not packing too many things to do, especially on the three days I have the mornings to myself while Ben is in school, before having to go back to pick him up first, then, Jon and Vern.

Jan 08 iii 122 Jan 08 iii 120

Sandwiches, wraps, or these pita pockets go down well with us adults, less so with our boys. Jon and Ben still prefer a noodle or pasta lunch, that some old tricks continue to work for us in the new year. Like using back the same ingredients as for dinner (yes, there's hardly a meal now when I'm not cooking extra portions), and if I can, throw in a little surprise element (such as our all-time fave fishballs!), other than simply swopping the carbos for a bit of variation.
Jan 08 iii 100 Jan 08 iii 049

Stir-fried beef is great, but tender meat tastes better microwaved for the next meal, so beef stew is a smarter choice when I want to 'kill' dinner, and lunch the next day, with one big pot...
Jan 08 iii 002 Jan 08 iii 103

It's easier and quicker for me to get as much grocery done, and whatever errands out of the way, than to contend with Ben's shopping cart antics, or Jon's whining. Or have to bother the husband, who himself has enough on his plate, with the run-of-the-mill chores, that again, are less challenging for me to manage alone, when both boys are in school, or in bed.

It's a different kind of stress from being a working mom, when I would be bringing work home or mulling over some uncompleted project, but not wanting to miss out on quality time with the family. Still, now, from the word "Go!", it's a long day for stay-at-home moms, and I would like to sit down more, in between keeping house, and keeping to our schedules, not to mention keeping sane also!

And because there's only that much I can do on my own, and so much later I should go to bed than them, when it's something that can be helped, that I do not have to "must get it done right away", I'm appreciating it more and more, when my three guys can help me, in whatever ways they can. And even when it means that a task will take longer to complete. For that's when I do catch my breath!

So, surely some good can come out of involving the children to help out with little things around the house, never mind that we are still just working with them to pack away their stuff (strewn all over the place) at day's end. We do it together, though more often than not, the daddy or me is still the one, not the boys, picking up the lion's share of whatever is lying around.

No, I'm not a neatnik, if you don't already know that by now, but it's nice to wake up to some semblance of order -- and not be tripping over a stumbling Lego block or more, first thing in the morning, before we start another hopefully-not-too-chaotic day!

We can certainly benefit from more routines and structure, something I'm not good at implementing or adhering to, though! What you see here, are among the saner moments in our days, when the boys aren't fighting, or when any one of our stress levels isn't going up and rubbing off on the other!

Jan 08 iii 138 Jan 08 iii 058

For us so far, the kitchen seems to work best as the starting point for Jon and Ben to chip in. Maybe because both boys are not over their "Iron Chef America" craze, and me three! I sure hope Bobby Flay will live up to his coveted Iron Chef status once again, having been defeated twice in a row already!

Ben breaks up the baby bok choy, and he will happily do so, if I promise him his own private "stash" to chop into smithereens afterwards (though it can be terribly messy to clean up, because of the juices from the greens)!
Jan 08 iii 085 Jan 08 iii 090

Like Ben who doesn't automatically clear his plate, Jon still has to be reminded to take his lunchbox and school folder out of his backpack once home. But he obliges when I ask him to dice the potatoes for this braised chicken. And he goes on to lick the bone clean, although after that, he's been saying "no thanks" to more of such requests to hone his fine (culinary?/) motor skills!
Jan 08 ii 043 Jan 08 ii 049

But doesn't the food always taste extra sweet, when you've had a hand in making it? Do you remember when you fried your first egg? What's your trick for measuring the amount of water for steamed rice, besides doing it by the cupfuls -- do you dip your hand, palm down, into the rice cooker, or just your finger, to see how far the water rides up?

Jan 08 ii 051 Jan 08 ii 029

Before school started, when we were housebound for a little bit, two friends Corinne and Ann came and hung out with us for the evening...
Jan 08 iii 077 Jan 08 iii 075

And the one outing we managed all break long, was to the Science Centre. The fascinating Gunther von Hages' Body Worlds 3 -- the original exhibition of real human bodies -- had made its way here, but we weren't up to it, so we caught "Human Body" instead, our first show at the Omnimax! The boys were more intrigued with the dinosaurs, it seemed, a perennial favourite with them...
Jan 08 iii 038 Jan 08 iii 037
Jan 08 iii 009 Jan 08 iii 012

Always in a hurry?

Now I wasn't scouring literature on slowing down, but every other article I've come across this past week seems to be talking about de-stressing, and sleeping better. And there was even one with a reminder to take care of ourselves, specifically ourselves -- in the course of trying to be a good mother, a good wife, a good friend, and all the other good things we try to be, sometimes more than for our own good!

Are you always in a hurry, too? Rushing from place to place, one thing to another?

Already running late for school, but when Jon seemed to be taking his own sweet time, I was really anxious, and kept asking him to "Hurry up!", "Quick!", "Get in the car!". The husband, and he's the more calm and collected of us two (and whose Type B genes Jon obviously has), was just leaning over for his cup of milk. Sipping it, like you would hot latte, except it was cold milk (!), and peering over his mug, Vern said to me matter-of-factly, "No used you getting all worked up, Jon is missing one sock.".

I thought back to a few days before that, to a different incident when I had tried my best to hurry, but could not, and the woman who couldn't wait for me to back out of the parking spot, had gestured to me frantically, spouting can't-be-anything-nice from behind her windscreen, if her facial expressions were anything to go by.

Trying to ask Jon to get going, when he was stuck, I was no different from that driver. The reason I could not reverse out of the spot sooner, was because if I had not waited, I would have rammed straight into two people walking right in my path -- one of them talking on the cellphone and oblivious to where she was heading, and the other, pushing a cart.

More haste, less speed. And conversely, it's true, too -- less haste, more speed! I'm trying to do that, and slow down some! Multitasking still works, no doubt, but I'm seeing too, that if I can help it, and I focus on one thing at a time, it may be more productive than working myself up into a frenzy, trying to do too many things at one go!

Taking five, and sitting down with Ben to work on a paper-plate hippo...
Jan 08 iii 110 Jan 08 iii 116

And with that, I've come to the end of this rather long, but true tale.

You have a T-rex-ffic week now! =)

Jan 08 iii 036


"If you operate on what you believe a good mother/partner/friend would do and you leave
yourself -
what you need, how you feel - out of the equation, your relationships will suffer.

"I'm here to tell you that cherishing yourself by making yourself a priority in your own life is
possible. You can take care of your needs and your relationships with family and friends
can thrive..."


- Geneen Roth in "First Things First", Good Housekeeping, Sep 07.

5 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

Hi bp
Glad u are back! Looks like everything is in order for u and thats great! Yes, I should learn "less haste, more speed". But it is really tough sometimes!
Have a great week ahead!

Yan said...

bp, in a less hasty morning like today, reading your accounts of opened my eyes to the charm of simple things. You are really blessed that ordinary things in your words could be transformed into exciting adventures!

Thanks for sharing.

bp said...

SAHM,
Thanks, actually I'm far from being on top of things, and there are lots more chaos in a day, but I'm trying to slow down. Being a Type A, and I like to get things done fast, and right away, I find "less haste, more speed" to be tough, too!

You try and take it easy, and have a blessed week now! =)

Yan,
Thanks, you're most welcome, and so kind with your words! God bless!

NomadicMom said...

Wa...your boys are good little helpers!! Mine are a far cry leh... Yours still would take their lunch boxes out. Mine? I would be lucky if they remembered to bring theirs back! Donno lost how many boxes already!!!

Speaking of lunch, do you put food in a thermos type of box or just normal?

bp said...

Nomadic Mom,
Haha! I know just what you mean... we also have our share in the form of broken backpacks (Jon is already into his third one since school started half a year ago!), very badly ripped jeans and pants, missing water bottle and I've driven back to school more than once just for missing lunchboxes!

I eventually switched to the thermos kind, because it keeps the food slightly warmer, than just heated- up food in plastic containers, because those insulated lunchbags work better only if filled to the brim.

As for getting the boys to help out, I'm trying to start with small things, but still hard to instil as a habit. The older one has his homework as his excuse not to be available. The younger one is slightly more enthusiastic, and party because he spends the most time with me at home, so he gets to do regular stuff with me, like toss laundry into the dryer!